what should I buy to play my GBA games?

Negronometry

CAGiversary!
Recently been looking to run through some of my GBA backlog. I currently only own a 3DS so looking to purchase either GBA SP or DS Lite to play them. What would you guys recommend? Don't really care about the DS functionality so I'm fine with a GBA, but I couldn't remember if the SP was that comfortable to play on for extended periods of time. Had one when they originally came out but I can't remember how comfortable it was. Any suggestions?

I think you may actually be able to get a DS cheaper than a GBA SP.

Gamestop and pawn shops still carry DSLite, gotta look harder for a GBA SP.

The GBA SP is very uncomfortable to me, but better screen/light. The width of the system is smaller than the palm of 1 hand, which makes 2 hand holding bad, and L+R buttons HURT my fingers. Normal GBA is wider than SP, but uses batteries instead of plug-in charge, and has no screen light option like SP has, that I remember.

That said, I own both GBA and GBA SP and I'd still recommend a DS Lite if you can find it on the cheap/cheap as GBA/SP.

If you don't care about portability, the Gamecube's GameBoy Player can play them on TV screen, and you'll have GC controller. Way back when, I used a SNES-style GC controller for GBA games, and it worked amazing.

If you want to use a link cable on multiplayer games, an e-reader, a game boy to game cube link cable, or want to play GBC or GB games then you should get the SP AGS-101 "back lit" model.

Otherwise, just get a DS Lite since you can use headphones with it, has two speakers instead of one, and certain games will give you a bonus if you have a prequel GBA game inside of it. The GBA cartridge does stick out of a DS lite a bit though.

I'm not sure which is more comfortable because I still use my SP and the NDS belongs to my friend but I guess a good choice for you would be a DS Lite since you own a 3DS and are probably used to how it holds.

For GBA games, I use a GameBoy Micro Famicom. I use the Micro more than my DS Lite for GBA stuff as it's a lot more pocketable and comfortable for me. Also, the GBA cart is flush with the Micro's body (although longer carts like Yoshi Topsy Turvy, Boktai, or Drill Dozer stick out).

I never really thought of the game sticking out as an issue. It doesn't really affect how it gets held, does it?

For my money I'd get the dslite.

A) It's more comfortable to hold,
B) if you ever did start caring about ds functionality, you'd have the dslite.

I don't know if the reason you don't care about ds functionality is because you have a 3ds, but assuming it is, with the exception of Pokemon Black 2, I try not to play any ds games in my 3ds cause it stops me from getting streetpasses / spotpass notifications (in-game), so that's a good reason to have the dslite anyway.

I used an SP a lot when I was younger, & that thing was just the best. If you already have a 3DS, then you can already play DS/DSi/3DS games, but if you get an SP, you can play GBA games AND GBC games, if you choose to do so. There's two versions of it, though, so you should keep that in mind if you went to buy one. I wouldn't recommend the original GBA, since it's (as I see it) less portable, heavier, requires batteries, & does not include an on/off backlight, as an SP already does by default. Out of all of this,though, GBA games look gorgeous on the DS, & function very well.

Just my two cents. Have fun, OP.

bread's done
Back