What should I know before selling on Amazon

magiic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I know this isnt really auction related but I couldnt think where else to put this. Anyways I am looking to start selling stuff on Amazon.ca Im wondering though, are there anything I should know before signing up. I have a mastercard to use for the credit card thing but it's a pre-paid one however it is accepted every MC is tied to my address and phone number and all that jazz so Im assuming it will work. What are some other general things I should know before I sell stuff on amazon?

No I have a bank account for the deposits but they require you to have a CC I assume thats for verification Im just wondering if my pre-paid card will work for that.

[quote name='magiic']No I have a bank account for the deposits but they require you to have a CC I assume thats for verification Im just wondering if my pre-paid card will work for that.[/quote]

It might but it might need the card associated with your checking account(check card).

[quote name='magiic']What are something to watch out for when selling on Amazon?[/quote]

I'd be interested in knowing that too. Same gotchasas eBay?

[quote name='WebScud']I'd be interested in knowing that too. Same gotchasas eBay?[/QUOTE]

I think magiic is hoping it isn't exactly the same as eBay :rofl:.

I have no idea, though. I've never sold on Amazon, just eBay. I've heard from others that things can sell for more there but the fees are higher.

Most items you can sell for more on Amazon. Even after their fees. Alot of stuff they will really screw you out of the shipping credit. (ie. will give you $1.50 credit to ship something that costs like $10 to ship).

The main reason I like it better then eBay is no listing fees. And you can leave it up there as long as possible.

As for how they will pay you a bank account would be best. I never used it but I saw some thing on the USA site that I believe you can be paid in Amazon gift certificates. So if you shop on there a lot you could go that way. I suggest opening a bank account though.

Ya I've been fucked around be ebay enough. I have a bunch of games and other stuff I want to sell off for some cash so I thought I'd try amazon.

Amazon also will tell you the exact amount of money they will be giving you when your item sells. I sold something and the person disputed and amazon sided with me. It was one of those common sense situations that you wouldn't be able to count on ebay/paypal to handle appropriately.

Hmmm... so generally people have had good experiences selling through them? I may consider trying it out since I like the no listing fees concept. Anyone have a good handle on the premium you can get over eBay? Hard to imagine you can charge more than on eBay... I will have to math and see if it makes sense.

Is there any way to see completed transactions like on eBay? I am assuming there isn't. It would be nice to see what prices items are going for.

[quote name='kell']Hmmm... so generally people have had good experiences selling through them? I may consider trying it out since I like the no listing fees concept. Anyone have a good handle on the premium you can get over eBay? Hard to imagine you can charge more than on eBay... I will have to math and see if it makes sense.

Is there any way to see completed transactions like on eBay? I am assuming there isn't. It would be nice to see what prices items are going for.[/quote]
They arent auctions, go checkout the item page for what you want to sell. If no one is selling what you're selling, than you have to put it up on whatever price you choose with no comparison. If you walk through the listing steps, it tells you how much you would make upon selling your item.

[quote name='dastly75']They arent auctions, go checkout the item page for what you want to sell. If no one is selling what you're selling, than you have to put it up on whatever price you choose with no comparison. If you walk through the listing steps, it tells you how much you would make upon selling your item.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. But some of the prices on there seem ridiculous and I can't imagine people would pay that much. However, if I could see completed sales and how much they sold for I could price mine accordingly. Otherwise, you just have to go off of what is available and who knows how long some of that stuff has been sitting there without selling.

I think with eBay's system you can gauge the current market price (for eBay) fairly accurately, which I like.

I just started to sell on amazon. I was a little bit worried but my very first sale went through. A bank account is needed if you wanna get money back. If you dont have one, they give it to you in like gift checks for amazon. A credit card is needed to sign up, but you can purchase using a bank account.

Amazon is great, I've sold a ton of stuff, games, books, consoles. Depending on the item they take a percentage, generally around 15% + .99, and shipping is a small credit, depending on the shipping type chosen, (1.5-3.00)

But it's fast to get your money, you can transfer the money to your bank, and generally in about 2 days its there.

If you're a first time seller, Amazon will freeze your money for a month and a half claiming to "review your account" so watch out for that when it happens. You won't be able to transfer out any money and they expect you to keep selling or you can go on vacation mode or whatever. Also the commission is 15% of the sale price minus the shipping plus plus a per transaction fee of $.99 and a variable closing fee. Here is the link for fees and commision:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161240

thats kind of lame, but I guess paypal froze like $8,000 for a few weeks so who cares. As long as I get it in the end, and I have tons of stuff to sell so it's not a big deal. I can build a bunch up and dump it once.

Is there anyway to see an average sale price on Amazon? I want to sell my iSight. The lowest current price is $299.99 and I want to undercut him, but not so much that I screw myself out of some cash.

I've been selling on Amazon for a year and a half. Mainly selling Mario Dances, everything seems to work fine there.

I once had a scammer contact me through e-mail wanting to pay me through Paypal and skip Amazon for an xbox 360, but if you know how to spot phishing scams, you'll be fine. Also, I have had a package come back because it was never picked up, but the buyer never contacted me about so I'm afraid they might have died. Once a person bought a DVD from me but the package came back as insufficient address and I refunded their money so no problems there. I was out shipping but it wasn't much.

So overall, Amazon is a great place to sell if you don't mind the additional fees they charge.

Holy crap!!!

I had an iSight listed at $325 for 9 hours and it sold! I get just about $305. High ticket items? Bye-bye eBay! :whistle2:D

And that was my first sale...I can't imagine what happens when I build up feedback.

anyone know anything about what to do about the seller taxes? I was reading the participation agreement and it mentioned something about seller taxes and that your resposible for them if they apply and that amazon has nothing to do with it and won't help you with it. Is it something I should be worried about or just ignore? I've decided it makes the most sense to start selling my old games there instead of gamestop so I can get the full value (more or less, since I lose a bit on the commission crap).

bread's done
Back