What should I play next? Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata?

[quote name='StryderOmega']Eternal Sonata is shorter? Doesn't require you to get every item in the game either for an achievement, lol.[/QUOTE]

Most of Eternal Sonata's achievement can't be unlock until second or third play through.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Eternal Sonata is shorter? Doesn't require you to get every item in the game either for an achievement, lol.[/QUOTE]
I don't really care about achievements though but thanks for the suggestion!

This is why achievements are so wrong. Why would anyone actually choose which game to play based on a worthless digital medal that tells the world "I have too much spare time?"

I've heard Eternal Sonata is good, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm just starting chapter 3 and the story/characters all just too... nice/kiddy? I feel like I'm watching something from a Saturday morning cartoon.

To those recommending it, does the story pick up / go somewhere? I know it's not fair to judge it so early in (though its been something in the neighborhood of 20 hours), but I just wasn't getting a sense of direction or purpose to the story, but I'd like to continue it as long as it's not like this the rest of the way.

Blue Dragon. Its easily my favorite jrpg this gen. Great music, enjoyable story, decent combat system, and no random battles. I wasn't a fan of Eternal Sonata. The idea of the game is great and the combat is fun but outside of that its just a very forgettable jrpg.

[quote name='Koiji']I've heard Eternal Sonata is good, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm just starting chapter 3 and the story/characters all just too... nice/kiddy? I feel like I'm watching something from a Saturday morning cartoon.[/QUOTE]
That was the problem I had with the game, too. The characters are so whiny and annoying.

[quote name='Koiji']I've heard Eternal Sonata is good, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm just starting chapter 3 and the story/characters all just too... nice/kiddy? I feel like I'm watching something from a Saturday morning cartoon.

To those recommending it, does the story pick up / go somewhere? I know it's not fair to judge it so early in (though its been something in the neighborhood of 20 hours), but I just wasn't getting a sense of direction or purpose to the story, but I'd like to continue it as long as it's not like this the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

I had a friend say the same thing about the story/characters and the whole kiddy feel. I'd agree as well, but it must not have hit as hard for me because it didn't deter me from beating the game. To the OP, maybe go look at a cutscene or try the demo (is the demo still available?) if you're worried about this. I don't think the characters are nearly as annoying as, say, early-game Hope from FF13 though...

I get what you're saying about no sense of direction or purpose, and honestly I don't really feel like I should push you toward picking the game up again. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the game, I just agree with Sinfulfate; it was sort of forgettable.

[quote name='Koiji']I've heard Eternal Sonata is good, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm just starting chapter 3 and the story/characters all just too... nice/kiddy? I feel like I'm watching something from a Saturday morning cartoon.

To those recommending it, does the story pick up / go somewhere? I know it's not fair to judge it so early in (though its been something in the neighborhood of 20 hours), but I just wasn't getting a sense of direction or purpose to the story, but I'd like to continue it as long as it's not like this the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

I think ES is the better of these two, but it's far from the best JRPG this gen imo. Tales of Vesperia, and to a lesser degree Graces F, do what ES does but much better.

bread's done
Back