What stores the best in the long run of buying games?

gabolous

CAGiversary!
So in order to have a steady stream of deals you gotta buy withe same dealer i.e. Amazon, bestbuy. Kmart, target (not so great), gamestop, toys r us, walmart inorder to get their Gift cards, member rewards, coupons.

Who do my fellow CAG"s shop with and why? Who do you recommend?

I am currently in the best buy loop using rz certs getting and spending gcards. I went with them to get the benefit of price matching other retailers but its so YMMV even with the same best buy that typically give me the deals. I wanna switch stores, so any help would be awesome.

For me it's Amazon, but I have Prime so it's free release day delivery which helps sway me that way. The no-tax is a factor for me. In Chicago we pay over 10% now, so my games are always 66.xx at B&M straight up. Locking a pre-order in early will always get me a lower price usually in the $55 range, plus no tax and free shipping, and a gravy train of credits. It's always usually a winning situation. My only complaint is UPS delivery comes in the afternoon, usually around 4pm for me, so if I want it ASAP early in the day, or even a midnight launch, I'll make an exception on a game to game basis and hit a Best Buy. KMart works for a lot of people, but I personally hate the stores/employees, so that's why I don't use them.

[quote name='Gears24']K-Mart hands down. Once you are on the coupon train, it is so hard to get off!![/QUOTE]

seriously. i picked up new vegas for $20 on release week. RELEASE WEEK! I've been able to get so many more games this fall than I would've if I had shopped anywhere else.

[quote name='Gears24']K-Mart hands down. Once you are on the coupon train, it is so hard to get off!![/QUOTE]

Believe dis!!

Learn how to flip games(it's like the stock market, buy low and sell high) and you don't ever have to rely on any store(except for where you have your gaming credit at) for gaming ever again.

That is, unless you want some of the insane clearance gaming deals from Target($7.48 games FTW) or Toys R'Us(Uncharted for PS3 for $6).

As for the 'coupon train' and credits at Kmart and Amazon, you have to spend REAL CASH to get on that 'train'. I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend a small amount of cash, get a ton of credit and then use that credit to buy stuff to make credit elsewhere(Best Buy now takes games and some are worth up to $30 apiece) instead of spending real money.

You just have to educate yourself as a gamer and a consumer and you should have no problem paying next to nothing for your games.

It also helps if you're PATIENT and don't need the latest and greatest game the day it releases. The game will still play the SAME WAY if you wait a month or two from release. So many games get price drops really quick anymore, so why pay $60 at launch when you can pay $40 two months later?

Toys R Us has always been good to me. The deals are a bit infrequent, but some of their promotions practically pay for the games themselves, especially big releases that include gift cards.

Not to mention in my experience, they continue to stock some pretty rare or obscure games long after they're out of print. I found a number of copies of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection a year ago, and they also had some copies of Valkyria Chronicles when the only other shop that had it here was GameStop.

Toys R Us for me since they have the best clearance deals. A year ago I would have said KMart and Sears but clearance has been killed off at those stores.

Amazon for me. Free 2-day/release date shipping (with Prime, of course), no tax, and easy returns almost can't be beat.

The sole exceptions are when Amazon doesn't PM a sale. As of late, I haven't bought many games (1 or 2 in the last 8 months), but Amazon still has the best deals.

Forgot about mentioning the price matching that Amazon does as well, that's another reason I take them. IATCG has a good point up there about the buy low sell high thing. It's basically the cheapest way to get games bar none. However, I've got a shit-ton of games dating back to the 2600 days, and I like to keep my stuff, rarely ever flipping them back, so that's why I buy new. I realize I probably won't play half the stuff I have again, but I like knowing that I COULD. Plus, I've converted a whole room of my house into a multimedia room and all the games/dvds/blu's/cd's look pretty epic all organized and laid out like I've got them.

I use Amazon combined with swagbucks, which gives me at least $5 amazon gift card a month. Combine that with the release date delivery, no tax, gaming credits and discounted preorder prices. I also use my chase rewards points from my debit card to get $25 amazon gift cards.

In the last few months, I've gotten Dead Rising 2, Fallout new Vegas, Fable 3, COD Black Ops, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, for the grand total of $14.19

Amazon, no doubt. Unless you wanna do the leg work to buy and flip, you'd hardly make a profit with trade ins.

I'd hop on the Kmart gravy train if I had one near me, but none within a reasonable distance. Amazon is the current go-to place with no Tax, release date delivery, and great price matching. (Holy shit when they had Battle of Hercules or whatever for the DS for $15 with $10 credit)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Learn how to flip games(it's like the stock market, buy low and sell high) and you don't ever have to rely on any store(except for where you have your gaming credit at) for gaming ever again.

That is, unless you want some of the insane clearance gaming deals from Target($7.48 games FTW) or Toys R'Us(Uncharted for PS3 for $6).

As for the 'coupon train' and credits at Kmart and Amazon, you have to spend REAL CASH to get on that 'train'. I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend a small amount of cash, get a ton of credit and then use that credit to buy stuff to make credit elsewhere(Best Buy now takes games and some are worth up to $30 apiece) instead of spending real money.

You just have to educate yourself as a gamer and a consumer and you should have no problem paying next to nothing for your games.

It also helps if you're PATIENT and don't need the latest and greatest game the day it releases. The game will still play the SAME WAY if you wait a month or two from release. So many games get price drops really quick anymore, so why pay $60 at launch when you can pay $40 two months later?[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. CAG has given me so many flips that I am a happy college student, not broke xD. I would say learn to flip, but more importantly share too.

Amazon. If only because it saves me the gas it would take to drive at /least/ ten miles (twenty miles round trip,) to get various deals from Gamestop.

Gas, plus the tax, plus the time wasted at Gamestop, plus the hassle of returning things, plus my general dislike of meeting gamers in person? All of this is a non issue with Amazon.

Amazon customer service is also really easy to work with. In a sense they actually earn customer loyalty from their screw ups; they handle their mistakes in a reasonable and courteous manner.

toys r us by far.

I worked at gamestop for along time and only bought games there, but ever since i no longer work there, I have noticed that toys r us has had some sick deals. I got a 10$ giftcard with fallout and a free guide. Then used that giftcard on black ops and got a 20$ giftcard, which im going to use on assassins creed and get another 20$ giftcard. its a never ending cycle of good deals

[quote name='Gourd']Amazon. If only because it saves me the gas it would take to drive at /least/ ten miles (twenty miles round trip,) to get various deals from Gamestop.

Gas, plus the tax, plus the time wasted at Gamestop, plus the hassle of returning things, plus my general dislike of meeting gamers in person? All of this is a non issue with Amazon.

Amazon customer service is also really easy to work with. In a sense they actually earn customer loyalty from their screw ups; they handle their mistakes in a reasonable and courteous manner.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Amazon, mainly due to tax in my area and not having to pay tax on Amazon.

For instance, TRU currently has a B1G1 40% off deal. This equates to 20% off the entire order (assuming games of equal value) and with tax (9+%) plus gas and time to get to B&M stores it is really only 10% off total. On top of that, Amazon usually has small 10% price breaks (before deals) so their games are usually cheaper already (i.e. $45 instead of $50).

Overall, I don't think you need to stick to one retailer. Yes you often do get gift cards/rewards/etc but you don't necessarily need to spend these right away. If you shop around, just choose the best deal you can find. If it means you hold on to a $50 KMart coupon or a $20 Amazon coupon for a few months, as you wait for that retailer to be the top deal for another item you want, then just do it. I don't really consider that a loss because you can always use it later (just don't let it expire).

bread's done
Back