What stores will return games without a receipt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0wdi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (98%)
Not really a deal, but thought this thread could fit here, thanks. The reason for asking this is because I want to buy a game early and return the game I am getting in the mail to a store, I want to do this with bioshock.

Wal-Mart (obviously). I heard FYE does. I once saw a lady get $20 for a sealed copy of Spider-Man for GameCube (mind you this was less than 6 months ago) at GameStop. She claimed her son (who was like 5) got it for his birthday from relatives and "they got it at GameStop." She said he already had it too. YMMV if you have a young child at GameStop.

Im pretty sure target does as long as its still in the shrink wrap, i know my friend did it with a couple dvd's with no reciept and i would think it would be the same with games.

Best Buy and Circuit City do it also. Best Buy only lets you do like one per year though i think. Not sure if there's a limit at CC

[quote name='Dicerion']Im pretty sure target does as long as its still in the shrink wrap, i know my friend did it with a couple dvd's with no reciept and i would think it would be the same with games.[/quote]

Target has a limit to how much the item is. I tried to return a 70 doller item and without a reciept and they said it was 'way over the limit'.

[quote name='wizard341']Target has a limit to how much the item is. I tried to return a 70 doller item and without a reciept and they said it was 'way over the limit'.[/QUOTE]
Probably depends on the store manager, but when I worked there I heard only 2 a year (thus the need of a ID) and has to be same item or in the section (say electronics). Ive seen some people return games for that reason.

My local walmart wouldnt let me do it tho, after a superlong wait in line.

[quote name='R0wdi']Not really a deal, but thought this thread could fit here, thanks. The reason for asking this is because I want to buy a game early and return the game I am getting in the mail to a store, I want to do this with bioshock.[/QUOTE]
If you're buying the game early, why not use that receipt to return it?

WALMART will give you a giftcard for the latest cost of the game if it is still sealed, no questions asked!!!

I wouldn't say no questions asked... I had some trouble returning items without a reciept to my local WalMart. As always, it just depends on who you run into.

Buy it from Walmart (or wherever). Play it. Hold onto the receipt. When you get the one from the person online, return it with that store receipt. As long as it's not opened, you're not even doing anything "wrong".

I returned Madden 08 at my local Walmart with no receipt. There was a bit of confusion at first, and it looked like I was going to be out of luck. They were eventually able to help me out since it was unopened. YMMV.

If you're buying the game early, why not use that receipt to return it?
[quote name='R0wdi']The thing is, I am buying the game from another person online.[/quote]

Where are you going to get the "other" copy from? You know, the early one? This whole topic seems shady and/or retarded.

My official answer: In Before The Lock.

[quote name='Dicerion']Im pretty sure target does as long as its still in the shrink wrap, i know my friend did it with a couple dvd's with no reciept and i would think it would be the same with games.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Target stopped accepting games without receipts about ten years ago. YMMV on whether they will have an exception to the rule at any particular store.

Just buy the game and keep the receipt. Doesn't matter if your copy in the mail is coming from somebody else, he doesn't have a magic UPC on the back of his that'll differ from Target's.

[quote name='rebenns']Nope. Target stopped accepting games without receipts about ten years ago. YMMV on whether they will have an exception to the rule at any particular store.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I've returned stuff to Target within the year with no receipt and had no problems. They took my information and when I asked why they said it was so they could make sure I did it no more than 3 times in a year.

i agree with kerig this seems sketchy and is sort of vague in idea if you are buying early just return WITH receipt to wherever you bought it and it will be fine and there is nothing wrong with that you got your game and the store can sell it again to someone else and the person online doesnt have their copy done and done i dont know why you wouldnt use the receipt go to walmart or target because they have 90 day return policies

I got an XBox 360 HD DVD drive as a gift. I don't want to end up having to keep an extra one. Would any of the stores let me return that without a receipt?

:O I didn't know stores took games without receipts? i remember a few Christmases ago, I got a Mario Party game i didn't want and tried to exhcnage it at Gamestop and the guy would only give me the usual trade in credit. I ended up keeping that MP and trading in older MPs i had.

As people have already mentioned, this whole discussion is moot as long as you keep the receipt. You can return the game you get later with the same receipt.

[quote name='wwe101']ive done it at toys r us with no problem one time[/quote]

If it was before June of last year, maybe. As of June, 2006, TRU stopped taking returns without receipts. The only exception now is if they can look up your transaction in the ejournal, which alot of TRU's won't bother pissing around with.

[quote name='shrike4242']Woot, return fraud. Such lovely things to discuss on CAG. :roll:[/quote]

im surprised this was allowed to reach 2 pages

Here, let me tell you what I was saying. I ordered a game online, and then I got a better offer online, and so I can't cancel the first order, I was thinking I would just take advantage of the better offer I got, and just return the other game.

[quote name='R0wdi']Here, let me tell you what I was saying. I ordered a game online, and then I got a better offer online, and so I can't cancel the first order, I was thinking I would just take advantage of the better offer I got, and just return the other game.[/QUOTE]Why can't you return it with a receipt?

Edited to add: Are you saying you bought it online from a person or store and want to return it to a B&M (different than where you got it from)? Because that's definitely sketchy.

Fishy300-2.jpg

i dont understand why people do things like this, it seems like too much of a hassle to try to return something to a store where you didnt by the game just because you bought the same game for less. If you are saving 5 or even 10 bucks to get the cheaper game, how is it even worth it given how much it costs ion gas to drive to the store you are trying to scam, and wait in line, and then fight traffic again on the way back. All that to save $5 to 10 bucks?

there are much better was to spend, or in this case, scam your time and money

edit

the true scam artist would find a sale like the TRU sale and then buy all the games, or at least half the store, and take them to walmart and say "i got all of these games as presents for graduating and none of them have receipts, and i want to return them."

Now that is how a true scammer operates. take note, i have never returned anything without a receipt, and realize that if people abuse a store's return policy, they will eventually change the policy, as people have said in this thread with tru and target

i understand what he is saying he ordered bioshock online but he didnt want to wait for the shipping so after he ordered it he went to walmart and bought another copy. he is asking if when his online copy comes can he take that one back to walmart so he wont be stuck with 2 copies

[quote name='wwe101']i understand what he is saying he ordered bioshock online but he didnt want to wait for the shipping so after he ordered it he went to walmart and bought another copy. he is asking if when his online copy comes can he take that one back to walmart so he wont be stuck with 2 copies[/QUOTE]

why is he going to be stuck with 2 copies? just stick with the one he bought?

you are saying he cant wait 3 days for the item to arrive, so he will buy the game from a store and then play the game, and when his other game arrives in the mail, he will just return that one?

i guess that makes some sense, but hell why not simply wait the 3 days?

[quote name='wwe101']i understand what he is saying he ordered bioshock online but he didnt want to wait for the shipping so after he ordered it he went to walmart and bought another copy. he is asking if when his online copy comes can he take that one back to walmart so he wont be stuck with 2 copies[/QUOTE]He just said he bought both the first copy and the second copy online.

No, he ordered 2 copies from 2 different online stores, and now he wants to do some return fraud. Why isnt this locked yet?

[quote name='R0wdi']I ordered a game online, and then I got a better offer online, and so I can't cancel the first order[/quote]

OP, instead of committing return fraud, why not return one of the new copies to the online store you got it from?

[quote name='shrike4242']Woot, return fraud. Such lovely things to discuss on CAG. :roll:[/QUOTE]

sadly i dont think anyone thinks this is wrong any longer. I said this about 2 years ago when i joined and got flammed big time. Theres been what 3 or 4 of these topics in the last 6 months and almost everone thinks its fine to do

[quote name='slidecage']sadly i dont think anyone thinks this is wrong any longer. I said this about 2 years ago when i joined and got flammed big time. Theres been what 3 or 4 of these topics in the last 6 months and almost everone thinks its fine to do[/quote]
i honestly dont see how any of this is wrong. there making money either way

"There" not making any money (that is, the retailer) if the store is dispensing cash for an item they never sold in the first place.

[quote name='cranguy']"There" not making any money (that is, the retailer) if the store is dispensing cash for an item they never sold in the first place.[/quote]

IM TALKING ABOUT IF HE exchanged the game for a different one

[quote name='wwe101']IM TALKING ABOUT IF HE exchanged the game for a different one[/QUOTE]By a different game, you mean a game that isn't Bioshock? How have they made money if they give him another game for Bioshock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back