what' the dealio on assasin's creed?

sparklecopy

CAGiversary!
I remember like a year ago looking at awesome pictures from PLAY magazine now I don't hear a peep about it. what's the word?

Ruh-ro. That's like my most anticipated game since... well, Bioshock but the point is that I've been psyched for AC since like 2005. Problems now might lead to a cancelled preorder.

They're dumping a lot of money into this game, hoping to create a new franchise. The premise is interesting but we'll see how good the game really is.

[quote name='whoknows']EGM said they're worried about it. I forget why[/quote]

During the E3 showing things werent working out. At one point the person playing the game said about how it had realistic physics and smart ai and no sooner did they say that, they fell off a huge building (like 5 stories) onto the street and they werent injured and the crowded street of ai didnt take notice. Also, they mentioned how the ai was just altogether glitchy .. they pointed out how on one street there was a line up of the same looking woman all carrying the same looking clay pots on their head. And the final thing I remember was about how someone (either the main character or a person you select to talk to) kinda glimmers and it just looks very bizarre and unnatural and pulls you out of the game experience. Despite all the criticism I'm still looking forward to it :lol:. Hopefully they get all the kinks worked out quick like.

[quote name='Maklershed']During the E3 showing things werent working out. At one point the person playing the game said about how it had realistic physics and smart ai and no sooner did they say that, they fell off a huge building (like 5 stories) onto the street and they werent injured and the crowded street of ai didnt take notice. Also, they mentioned how the ai was just altogether glitchy .. they pointed out how on one street there was a line up of the same looking woman all carrying the same looking clay pots on their head. And the final thing I remember was about how someone (either the main character or a person you select to talk to) kinda glimmers and it just looks very bizarre and unnatural and pulls you out of the game experience. Despite all the criticism I'm still looking forward to it :lol:. Hopefully they get all the kinks worked out quick like.[/quote]
About the whole falling off a 5 story building part...

Isn't that a lot of the point of the whole thing? I mean, every video I've seen this guy is jumping off of very tall buildings very eloquently without many people taking notice. I didn't really expect anything otherwise from it. Granted, this may not exactly be realistic, but still cool. (Ahhh, takes me back to the days of, "Eh, it's just a box.")

Also, I'm wondering if the player seeing a line of the same person in the game may just be a part of it being a demo. I've heard that they have over 300 different background characters in the game specifically for this reason, because they didn't want someone to see the same character more that a couple times.

The guy doesn't fall off the building. He takes a swan dive from about 10 stories up into a cart full of hay. With the ability to quickly scale heights, I suppose the team couldn't find a better solution to get down quicker.

And along with the repeating character models, the E3 build had problems with the crowd interaction, which was a big marketing point for the game. Early videos had the character smoothly pushing aside and interacting with the large crowds. In the E3 demo, it really seemed off. The collision detection wasn't very tight and as a result, you'd see the characters interacting (knocking others down, etc.) even though they weren't visibly close. And the ladies holding the pots on their heads, animated the exact same way.

Personally, I'm more put off by the odd future-like effects on enemy characters in fights. I suppose they could tie it in if the storyline is going to go as predicted by some, but I'd rather be engrossed in the timeline they're trying to portray. I'm a sucker for period pieces anyway.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The guy doesn't fall off the building. He takes a swan dive from about 10 stories up into a cart full of hay. With the ability to quickly scale heights, I suppose the team couldn't find a better solution to get down quicker.

Personally, I'm more put off by the odd future-like effects on enemy characters in fights. I suppose they could tie it in if the storyline is going to go as predicted by some, but I'd rather be engrossed in the timeline they're trying to portray. I'm a sucker for period pieces anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw them mention that when you are being chased, you will see an indicater of where you can jump off buildings or get to somewhere safe because the enemies aren't brave enough to try it.

Rumor was that you would be playnig through the game and progressing in time through the assassians guild seeing how your actions affected the future. Though, I haven't seen one screen or mention of this beyond the scene we are all familiar with so far.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Rumor was that you would be playnig through the game and progressing in time through the assassians guild seeing how your actions affected the future. Though, I haven't seen one screen or mention of this beyond the scene we are all familiar with so far.[/quote]I don't particularly mind the time-travelling aspect of it (though I'm hoping a good deal is set in the epoch we've been seeing), but I wish they kept the future/sci-fi aspect to the HUD. Just leave the enemy characters and environments in the same time period, if that makes any sense. For some reason, I just got the feeling that this old-world Jerusalem setting is only a small part of the whole game, like it's gonna be a lot more like Timesplitters in the variety of locales and time periods, which would disappoint me a bit.

What bothered me about the demo showed at E3 was the battles. They just didn't look very interesting. Also, the one they showed had you against about 6 guys, all surrounding you, and like in old kung-fu movies, you just fight them one at a time, while the other 5 guys just stand around while you beat up their friend.

bread's done
Back