What the hell ebay

I think the 4$ was for first class mail shipping, and this is the same rate amazon charges, obviously I assume a different rate will apply for bundles, priority mail shipment and other auctions. I think what they mean is 4$ for a single game or DVD with first class mail.

Frankly this is what I charge for shipping anyways and there are WAY TOO MANY game sellers on ebay charging 8-10$ for a media mail or first class shipped game in a plain envelope.

Media mail can also be more expensive than first class mail in some cases, and its not valid on cartridge games. So you might want to look into first class mail before you immediately start sending things out media.

Whatever you do DO NOT bump up the price of your auctions to cover shipping because thats exactly what ebay wants you to do, they want you to charge less for shipping because they don't get any fees on shipping charges. DO NOT offer free shipping because it screws over the seller, again, they want your fees. If everyone stops offering free shipping then we will have nothing to worry about.

[quote name='Josh7289']eBay has been punishing sellers more and more recently, just because some buyers are too dense to know how to avoid getting ripped-off. Nowadays, eBay has swung so far into the "buyer's market" domain that it's almost a wonder that people still sell things on the site. :roll:

We just really need a new auction site to rise up and make a dent in eBay's market share. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

It's already here: http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com. Over 2,000 auctions running now. No listing fees, no photo upoad fees, free seller storefronts/homepages. Our site has grown extremely fast in only 5 1/2 months and continues to grow each and every day. Check it out , list and bid on a few items. You have nothing to lose :)

[quote name='SaraAB']Media mail can also be more expensive than first class mail in some cases, and its not valid on cartridge games. So you might want to look into first class mail before you immediately start sending things out media.[/quote]

Basically anything below 8 ounces is first class mail.

I used to run eStarland a long time ago, and we had a discussion with one of the Virginia shipping facility managers.

Media Mail is valid on cartridge games. "Computer readable material," consoles are basically computers with proprietary formats. I've never got in trouble for shipping any games media mail, and they do check (randomly.)

Man these changes suck. I see now that the most one can charge for college textbooks is $4 also. That is a real rip off. I always sell my college text books in a flat rate priority mail envelope for $5. I think that is a great deal for the buyer since they can quickly get their book before class starts. Now I can't even charge $5 for a Priority Mail shipment? Google auctions needs to come out soon. I have been a seller on ebay for about 8 years and every year the rules and fees get worse and worse for sellers.

*edit* I especially like this one found in the FAQs:
What can I do if the maximum shipping and handling costs do not cover my expenses for packaging and shipping?
# If your actual shipping costs are higher than the maximum shipping & handling cost, start the item price higher to cover your shipping cost. This technique will minimize risk that you will lose money on shipping.

# Move your item to fixed price and include all or part of the shipping cost in the item price.

Gee you mean I can include shipping costs in my auction price instead so I can pay higher final value fees? How thoughtful of you! Thanks flebay!

I like this one too:
What's changing with payments on eBay?
Beginning in late October 2008, checks and money orders will no longer be allowed as payment methods on eBay. All items appearing on eBay.com must be paid for using either:

* PayPal (funded by PayPal account balance, credit card, debit card, bank account, PayPal Pay Later, PayPal Buyer Credit or eBay gift certificate)
* Credit or debit card payment to a seller (through a seller's Internet merchant account)
* ProPay
* Payment upon pickup

Well hurray! Lets FORCE EVERYONE to use Paypal so they can get MORE PAYPAL FEES! Ebay just can't stand not getting a piece of the payment too to go along with their increased fees. Greedy Greedy bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay is dumb. People should be able to do what they want with their auctions, that is what made them successful to begin with. Also I always calculate the shipping into the cost of the whole item, so if someone has $20 shipping on a $50 game, the price of the game rarely gets above $30.

and SaraAB, good point:
"Whatever you do DO NOT bump up the price of your auctions to cover shipping because thats exactly what ebay wants you to do, they want you to charge less for shipping because they don't get any fees on shipping charges. DO NOT offer free shipping because it screws over the seller, again, they want your fees. If everyone stops offering free shipping then we will have nothing to worry about."

I haven't sold anything on ebay for months.(i have 650 feedback so plenty of history there).
I've moved to Amazon where things are alot smoother

I know after Septemberm any old games I sell will go on Amazon. I may not be able to bundle, and the FVF may be the same, but I won't have to pay paypal fees or fee just put on the item. screw Ebay.

Yeah, I was always put off of Amazon because of the high fees. But now that eBay has taken away their main advantage over Amazon I see no reason not to check it out now. Good job eBay!

[quote name='BigPopov']I used to run eStarland a long time ago, and we had a discussion with one of the Virginia shipping facility managers.

Media Mail is valid on cartridge games. "Computer readable material," consoles are basically computers with proprietary formats. I've never got in trouble for shipping any games media mail, and they do check (randomly.)[/quote]

Every single Postal employee I have asked (a half-dozen people, including a couple of managers at the main branch locally) has said that no video game media counts for Media Mail purposes, because the USPS doesn't consider game consoles to be computers when defining "computer readable media." I still use it for disc-based games, and I have yet to to have problems, but I know the possibility is there.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I was always put off of Amazon because of the high fees. But now that eBay has taken away their main advantage over Amazon I see no reason not to check it out now. Good job eBay![/quote]

I'm considering it too, but there are situations when you can't use Amazon. I've got a bunch of import Saturn stuff that I might get rid of, and I don't think I can list it there - I guess that I have to decide quickly and rush to list it all on eBay before the 16th if I want to avoid the new fees. :whistle2:x

yea there are lots of collectables that you cant sell on amazon. Also for some cheap games you're better off selling them as a bundle.

[quote name='elmyra']Every single Postal employee I have asked (a half-dozen people, including a couple of managers at the main branch locally) has said that no video game media counts for Media Mail purposes, because the USPS doesn't consider game consoles to be computers when defining "computer readable media." I still use it for disc-based games, and I have yet to to have problems, but I know the possibility is there.

I'm considering it too, but there are situations when you can't use Amazon. I've got a bunch of import Saturn stuff that I might get rid of, and I don't think I can list it there - I guess that I have to decide quickly and rush to list it all on eBay before the 16th if I want to avoid the new fees. :whistle2:x[/QUOTE]

With the Saturn games they are vintage games. put them there. You can ask $6.00 for shipping. with the Saturn cases you will need it.

[quote name='scudnmuff']With the Saturn games they are vintage games. put them there. You can ask $6.00 for shipping. with the Saturn cases you will need it.[/quote]

That's a good point, but the new shipping fees don't hit until October anyway, and I'm trying to avoid the new 15% fixed-price fees that start in four days.

[quote name='elmyra']That's a good point, but the new shipping fees don't hit until October anyway, and I'm trying to avoid the new 15% fixed-price fees that start in four days.[/QUOTE]

Crap, do those start in 4 days? I thought it was October. I have a few auctions running now that won't end till after then (BIN so they could, but...).

Edit - Just dug out my email and then went to the link to check (as the email doesn't mention the higher fees just the token drop in listing fees). Sure enough, it is Sept. 16th. And of course listing stuff now as I did (assuming it doesn't sell till the 16th or after) screws you both ways because you pay regular listing fees and not the 5 cents they will be after the 16th. Bah...

[quote name='io']Crap, do those start in 4 days? I thought it was October. I have a few auctions running now that won't end till after then (BIN so they could, but...).

Edit - Just dug out my email and then went to the link to check (as the email doesn't mention the higher fees just the token drop in listing fees). Sure enough, it is Sept. 16th. And of course listing stuff now as I did (assuming it doesn't sell till the 16th or after) screws you both ways because you pay regular listing fees and not the 5 cents they will be after the 16th. Bah...[/quote]

Actually, you're okay. From here:

Q: I should know this, but will items launched before September 16 still be charged the old FVF even if they sell 9/16 or after?

A: If you listing was created before 9/16, you are still charged the old FVF when it sells.

[quote name='elmyra']Every single Postal employee I have asked (a half-dozen people, including a couple of managers at the main branch locally) has said that no video game media counts for Media Mail purposes, because the USPS doesn't consider game consoles to be computers when defining "computer readable media." I still use it for disc-based games, and I have yet to to have problems, but I know the possibility is there.[/quote]

Not to talk down on anyone or thier job, but local employees mean nothing. I've been told alot of things by alot of different local postal workers. As long as you don't give them reason to be suspicious you're fine. The local people don't even inspect or process media mail.

All of the media mail sorting is done at a large facility within the state or metro area at large, which is also where the random inspections occur. We made it a point to talk to a representative from both the large USPS Warehouse for the DC Metro area (where packages are routed to from local offices to be airlifted), as well as someone from the facility that sorts media/parcel mail.

Of course you don't want to abuse the service or commit fraud. But a Genesis game is not.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']that sucks but they've been making small screwed up changes for years something now about how you can;t leave negative feedback even if a seller deserves it or something like that it has to be neutral[/quote]
They are really screwing over the sellers now. They are trying to mimic Amazon.com with all of these new changes. Someone warned us a few months ago on this site. Slowly but surely it is coming. I also heard that there will be specific ebay mailing supplies that would be required for shipping products. (something like that)

But the thing that burns me the most out of all this nonsense, is the way they protect the buyers. All wrong! Gives the buyers too much power. Prime example, a customer bought 2 copies of "Need for Speed Most Wanted:Black Edition" from me. I accepted his offer and sent him the invoice. He sends me a message asking me to adjust the shipping costs, send another invoice, and then he would send payment. Well I do just that and after several invoices and messages to him, he sends me the following message. "I would like you to file a mutual agreement not to complete this sale. My son got on my account and ordered these without my permission. He is autistic. I will have to make sure my computer is shut down before I leave it on. Thank you."

This jackass must think I'm a fool. I told him that I wasn't filing shit and that he had better pay me. I told him that he had a lot of nerve trying to lie with that lame ass excuse.(Not in those exact words) I checked his negative feedback and it was the same old song with other sellers. Oh, buy the way, the name of this jackass is 'tonybestbuy'. So sellers beware.

I remember hearing about EBay shipping supplies. I wouldn't be surprised if that really does happen. I mentioned it earlier but I switched to Half.com almost completely since they have the same 15% FVF as EBay and Amazon have but Amazon has the transaction fee of $0.99. The only bad thing is that since Half.com is owned by EBay, I am still supporting EBay. But at least I don't deal with Paypal using Half.com

[quote name='ricoraney']They are really screwing over the sellers now. They are trying to mimic Amazon.com with all of these new changes. Someone warned us a few months ago on this site. Slowly but surely it is coming. I also heard that there will be specific ebay mailing supplies that would be required for shipping products. (something like that)

But the thing that burns me the most out of all this nonsense, is the way they protect the buyers. All wrong! Gives the buyers too much power. Prime example, a customer bought 2 copies of "Need for Speed Most Wanted:Black Edition" from me. I accepted his offer and sent him the invoice. He sends me a message asking me to adjust the shipping costs, send another invoice, and then he would send payment. Well I do just that and after several invoices and messages to him, he sends me the following message. "I would like you to file a mutual agreement not to complete this sale. My son got on my account and ordered these without my permission. He is autistic. I will have to make sure my computer is shut down before I leave it on. Thank you."

This jackass must think I'm a fool. I told him that I wasn't filing shit and that he had better pay me. I told him that he had a lot of nerve trying to lie with that lame ass excuse.(Not in those exact words) I checked his negative feedback and it was the same old song with other sellers. Oh, buy the way, the name of this jackass is 'tonybestbuy'. So sellers beware.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I blocked that perosn. I don't want problems with the last few games I sell. That perosn seemed like bad news.

I see a lot of these changes as attempts to be better... but all it does is screw the average user of eBay. Most of eBay's business comes from the powersellers and they cater to them. Its a known fact that power sellers get the discounts.

With final value fees upto 15%, restrictive shipping requirements, and new enforcements that will really punish the average user that has one bad transaction it is time for a change.

Enter, www.GameGavel.com. Those of us here want an alternative to ebay for Video Game Auctions, we don't want to pay fees, we don't want big brother making us go only one way. Stand up, make a difference and use www.GameGavel.com instead of eBay! It is completely FREE so no fees to ever pay. Others claim to be low cost, but they still charge fees. eBay used to have low fees too... what happened? They got greedy.

www.GameGavel.com was started to give us fellow gamers a good alternative to eBay and heck the site even gave a FREE game to a CAG for a CAG only contest. So you know the site really likes gamers and will cater to them.

A lot of people will complain about eBay, but when it comes down to making a stand... are you willing to join the masses and stop using eBay and support a free video game auciton site that wants to help provide the Video Game community a video game auciton site that will survive the test of time and become a great resouce? If so, check out www.GameGavel.com today!

- Steps off soap box

[quote name='Frythan']Ebay is dumb. People should be able to do what they want with their auctions, that is what made them successful to begin with. Also I always calculate the shipping into the cost of the whole item, so if someone has $20 shipping on a $50 game, the price of the game rarely gets above $30.

and SaraAB, good point:
"Whatever you do DO NOT bump up the price of your auctions to cover shipping because thats exactly what ebay wants you to do, they want you to charge less for shipping because they don't get any fees on shipping charges. DO NOT offer free shipping because it screws over the seller, again, they want your fees. If everyone stops offering free shipping then we will have nothing to worry about."
img30.jpg
[/quote]

Preach on brother!

There have been a few items recently that I couldn't get rid on the trading forum. Usually, I would bring them to eBay, but not anymore. I refuse to support them, even if it is with my mere pennies.

eBay has gotten really annoying with all of these raping rule changes and increased fees. I don't sell anymore, and buy once in awhile if it's a cheap deal or something hard to find.

But I do think greedy sellers who were inflating their profits with insane shipping prices contributed to this rule change. I've seen many $.01 buy it now auctions with a $14.99 shipping fee, only to say it will ship media mail or some such thing.

As a seller, I think it's a little ridiculous to expect buyers to cover your time, effort, gas, mailing supplies, etc etc. $1 for a bubble mailer is retarded, and if you're selling, you should be able to afford gas to the post office - or better yet, walk. As a buyer, I typically avoid auctions where the seller seems to be trying to skim too much off the shipping and "handling."

I think there's a huge opening for a new auction site to swoop in. Maybe Google. I'm sick of ebay/Paypal having free reign to impose all kinds of crap without penalty. The fees are utterly ridiculous right now, and Paypal is basically anti-sellers. Hopefully they suffer some huge losses and wake up.

Obviously the way to go right now, if you want, say, $19.99 for your game, is to list it auction style with a starting price of $19.98, and a Buy it Now price of $19.99. You'll pay 45 cents to list it, but you'll keep the old 8% final value fee instead of the outrageous 15% they're now charging.

[quote name='Paco']fuck YOU. Now you want to bone us on shipping too? Check this nice message I got.

Attention Seller!Starting in October, the maximum shipping cost in this category will be $4.00. You'll be asked to enter a shipping cost less than or equal to this cost for the first U.S. flat rate shipping service.
Get a head start on these changes by updating your shipping costs for this listing

So I'm selling something that costs about 2.79 to ship. Put in a dollar for a bubble mailer, and figure in the cost of gas to get to the post office to ship it. Ebay loves boning people. Yes this will get rid of the price gougers who love to rape you with the shipping dildo, but now any small time seller is going to get fucked over by this too.

BAH.[/QUOTE]

what sucks is they are putting a 4 buck limit on video games. How about people selling Hack 1 limited ed with the figure and the other heavy games.....

This is why im finally done with ebay. I would rather sell my stuff here or to gamefly then ebay anymore

Wow, yeah, I didn't even take into consideration larger games. I recently sold a MGS4 LE on here, and it certainly cost me more than $4 to ship it. What bastards.

[quote name='slidecage']what sucks is they are putting a 4 buck limit on video games. How about people selling Hack 1 limited ed with the figure and the other heavy games.....

This is why im finally done with ebay. I would rather sell my stuff here or to gamefly then ebay anymore[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow, yeah, I didn't even take into consideration larger games. I recently sold a MGS4 LE on here, and it certainly cost me more than $4 to ship it. What bastards.[/QUOTE]

For heavy items, you are allowed to use the calculated shipping option instead of the $4 flat rate.

[quote name='Jack']For heavy items, you are allowed to use the calculated shipping option instead of the $4 flat rate.[/QUOTE]

But you don't get to cover your fees. You just get the exact cost of shipping. No recovery for any extra you put into packaging.

Lame, I'm selling my GH2/3 bundle on Ebay and it gave me that message.

Last time I put the bundle, i put 10 dollars shipping. CHEAPEST SHIPPING was 13 bucks, I was like -.-' So I put 15 this time. So now after October I have to pay the rest?

[quote name='Synergy']
As a seller, I think it's a little ridiculous to expect buyers to cover your time, effort, gas, mailing supplies, etc etc. $1 for a bubble mailer is retarded, and if you're selling, you should be able to afford gas to the post office - or better yet, walk. As a buyer, I typically avoid auctions where the seller seems to be trying to skim too much off the shipping and "handling."

.[/quote]

Why is this ridiculous? Go to the store. Pick up a product and look at the price. YOU are covering everything for the company that makes that product. Ebay operates no differentely. Now yes there are some that take it to the extreme, but just avoid those auctions, just like you would avoid a product at the store.

eBay sucks as of late. For some reason they forget who made them, the sellers, not the buyers. But of course, customer is king, so we sellers have no power over people who treat eBay like a flea market, with a flea market mentality. Over the last year, I have sold less and less beacuse of the ridiculous fees from both eBay and Paypal, which eBay owns. I get charged to list the item, charged when it sells, and charged again when Paypal takes their cut. And to top it off, I can't leave anything but positive feedback to buyers, even if they're disgruntled f-wads. Sorry about the rant, but after almost 9 years of selling on eBay, I think they owe the sellers a little more respect.

Also the new shipping policy sucks. Say I am selling Rock Band Drums, (which I am), as a video game accessory. The new price limit for shipping in this category as of October will be $6.00. The drum set weighs at least 15 lbs which will cost a lot more to ship than $ 6.00, even at parcel post prices.

I suspect the fixed shipping will not last long at these rates, sellers should simply just stop selling things that cannot be shipped for less like this. A priority mail box WEIGHS almost 1lb by itself according to my scale, yes it may be a little off, however once I put an item inside, even a very light item as soon as its over 1lb it bumps up the rate to a 2lb rate. So now I am paying a 2lb rate for a box that is just over 1lb. It seems that ebay doesn't understand how much it ACTUALLY costs to ship these items. Plus I have to add in delivery confirmation which costs .75 at the post office, or risk that a buyer will screw me, which could happen anyways, but at least I have some protection if I save all my records and document the item carefully.

You can't get more than 2lbs parcel post for 6$, if you can even get that anymore. That does not include packaging supplies, which I get all of them for free besides tape, which is 1$ a roll. Boxes I get from Sam's club or outside of the UPS store where they put packaging for others to take and re-use. If you are all having trouble finding packaging, just check at your local UPS store, there should be some outside of it. I go through maybe 3-4 rolls of tape a year. Bubble envelopes are recycled from packages that I have sent for in the mail, I currently have like 3 plastic bags chock full with envelopes. Even f you are buying envelopes, the most they should cost is 50 cents each. If your paying 1$ each your paying too much. Never had one complaint about using recycled packaging.

Most game accessories, even the small ones weigh a lot more than 2lbs in a box with packaging material it seems.

[quote name='schuerm26']Why is this ridiculous? Go to the store. Pick up a product and look at the price. YOU are covering everything for the company that makes that product. Ebay operates no differentely. Now yes there are some that take it to the extreme, but just avoid those auctions, just like you would avoid a product at the store.[/QUOTE]

Ebay is not a store. They are just a in mediator for the real seller, or store. If you don't like the shipping price avoid them. Alot of sellers on ebay are just normal folk that trying to make a bit of extra money. Ebay has tarnished this by trying to force them to act like they sell items for them. Ebay got payed by thier damn fees, they didn't need to alter anything with these damn rules.

How long is it going to be before they remove the shipping calculator for weight? I see a lot of sellers going to put a extra pound or two into the weight and then shipping it.

Damn, I wished I had paid attention to those Ebay emails. I just listed some Buy It Now games and got nailed with the 15% FVF. Like with everyone else here, along with the cap on shipping charges, after this month I'm pretty much done with selling on Ebay except for the rare instances.

Ebay is god damn clueless. They just told me the shipping should be four dollars, for a priority mail flat rate box which costs almost ten dollars to ship. What tomfoolery.

The thing is, they don't expect you to lose on shipping. They expect you (or should I say want you) to bump up the price to include any excess shipping cost. That way they get a 15% cut of that extra you have to charge so as not to lose money on shipping :roll:.

This has nothing to do with protecting the buyer from excessive shipping costs and everything to do with inflating the "final value" to rake in more fees.

I used to be a heavy seller on Ebay, but have been away from it for about a year. I was about to sell off my entire CD collection. I still plan on it, but I am going to look closely at Ebay's new fee schedule to ensure I don't get robbed.

I remember someone posted in another thread that a neutral affects your feedback %. I am glad to say it doesn't as I just got a neutral but my positive feedback % is still the same. I asked EBay to remove it though since the buyer used profanity and I know they will remove it because of that (I had a negative removed once for a buyer using profanity)

EBay removed the comment but the neutral is still there. Instead of the comment it just says the comment has been removed by EBay. In the past the feedback itself, the rating and the comment were always removed. It's only a neutral so I don't really care but I hate that if I get a negative with cursing, EBay won't remove the negative now.

bread's done
Back