What to do about my 360 eBay Transaction Gone Wrong???

rusty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
49 (100%)
Hey guys, to sum it up, I found an xbox 360 elite for $320 shipped with 5 games. Yea, sick deal, i know. So I bit, because the guy had flawless feedback (40ish) and had sold high-end computer parts. I bought the item 4/18/08. Sale goes well, then I'm checking USPS delivery status online. I live on a college campus with its own post office, so items I order would generally come here, then i get a slip in my mailbox. The package got to the city post office, but was "undeliverable as addressed" then was said to have an "insufficient address" even though I have the correct address on paypal (i've received multiple packages in the last couple months based on paypal address.) It arrived here on 4/24/08.

Thus, the package was sent back (4/25/08) to the seller before I knew it was undeliverable, and had a chance to contact the local PO. I just eBay messaged the seller and he said he would ship it back out and check the address once it gets back to him.

I get an email today from eBay, and the guy is no longer a registered eBay user, adn he has 1 negative feedback from a seller whom he bought from. eBay suggests I should go through paypal for a refund. I messaged the guy cause I have his email and told him I'm filing a paypal complaint tomorrow and he should respond to me by then.

What should I do? Everything was fine until eBay emailed me about this all, and he was then unregistered. If he emails me back, should I just ask for a refund? I'm guessing, if he's a scam, he'll try to delay it by saying he's shipping it back out.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And to be clear, I never saw the item, it was in my town, but never delivered to campus because the address was invalid.

If he IS a scammer maybe the seller sent it to a fake address? This way he knows he would get it back. He was probably already in the process of unregistering with ebay/paypal after sending it. Err well I'm not going to jump to any more conclusions but, your best bet is to contact paypal. However, if he does respond I would just ask for a refund, better safe than sorry. If he doesn't respond, file a dispute with Paypal about the item never being received and let them take care of it. They'll request a tracking # from the seller, from that Paypal will see that your xbox was never delivered to your address. That should be enough for them to rule in favor of your case.

Well I have yet to get a reply from the guy, its been over 24 hours now ... you guys think its time to file a paypal complaint?

Okay, I put in my claim, the buyer supposedly already responded, giving a tracking number. Is this automatic if he already put it into paypal?

[quote name='rusty']Okay, I put in my claim, the buyer supposedly already responded, giving a tracking number. Is this automatic if he already put it into paypal?[/quote]

If he used PayPal shipping yes. PayPal will check the delivery confirmation number, and see where the package is. Since it should be on the way back to him, there should be no problem with you getting your money back.

[quote name='FeNoM91']If he used PayPal shipping yes. PayPal will check the delivery confirmation number, and see where the package is. Since it should be on the way back to him, there should be no problem with you getting your money back.[/quote]

Oksy,. it shows just that, so I guess i should be ok, sounds great. I still want an Elite though haha, guess I should just use craigslist/CAG instead of eBay

Well, the USPS tracking number (when I put it into USPS.com) shows it was returned to the seller, but the link from Paypal shows it not existing. ODD. Anyways, it has gone to PAypal for their decision. How long does it usually take? I sure hope this works out fine, otherwise I'm out a big chunk of cash.

Threaten to file claim with post office b/c if he knowingly sent it to you only to get it back then that is mail fraud - FEDERAL OFFENSE.

Hey guys, I got a total of $200 back (original amount was $320). Paypal said thats all they could retreive from his account. Is there a way besides Paypal to ensure I get the rest of my money? I used a debit card, not credit card. I'm not sure if my bank covers online fraud. If not, can I get my money back through eBay, or is this strictly Paypal and bank?

I had a very similar issue last year when I tried to buy a PS3 on eBay. PayPal only covers 200 dollars if something goes wrong with a seller with less than 50 feedback.

So you should contact your bank and see if you can file a chargeback. They'll mail you a few times asking for your side of the story and your proof, and it'll take 30-60 days, but you'll get your money back this way.

file a chargeback NOW. This is why Paypal tries to get you to give them your checking account number, so they can screw you like this. Never give paypal your checking account number, or you lose your credit protection.

bread's done
Back