What to do with a boxed Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD Player?

erehwon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I picked up a Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD Player with 4 movies in the original box for $8 at a garage sale. It also has the remote, power cord, and manual.

I would keep this as a backup for my own HD-A30, but I don't really have the space. So, I'm planning on selling it and 3 of the movies (I'm keeping 300). The cheapest one on amazon is $195 used. I don't imagine that those are moving that fast. I wonder what my chances are of selling it if I drop around $80 off it? It's amazon or craigslist. I don't really like doing much with ebay right now.

I would have put this in the HD-DVD thread, but it looks like that is gone.

On ebay this would bring around $50.00-60.00 shipped with 4 movies. They have sold for $70.00-75.00 shipped with 10-15 movies.

Wow, nice grab, guess im going out to some garage sales. All I have is a 360 hd dvd drive, and I spent 30 on that with two movies.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Sell it?
Buy $3 HD DVDs and enjoy movies that are the same, or better, on HD DVD.[/QUOTE]

Did you read the OP? He already has an HD-A30.

[quote name='Sporadic']Did you read the OP? He already has an HD-A30.[/QUOTE]

No, I totally just glared over that.

Sell it. You're bound to make atleast a 500%+ markup on it.

i really hope i find an hd-dvd player at a garage sale this year...the discs are so cheap...

[quote name='jj5206']i really hope i find an hd-dvd player at a garage sale this year...the discs are so cheap...[/QUOTE]

Just go buy a player. The chance of finding one of maybe 1 million or so HD DVD players produced are likely very slim. Most people still hold onto them as DVD Players. $40 and you can be enjoying $3 HD DVDs.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just go buy a player. The chance of finding one of maybe 1 million or so HD DVD players produced are likely very slim. Most people still hold onto them as DVD Players. $40 and you can be enjoying $3 HD DVDs.[/QUOTE]
I'd agree. I've only seen these two in my area. My original one I got from the first time I went to an auction. This one was completely by chance.

Finding outdated players can be difficult. I was looking for a laserdisc player and it took me a couple years to find one at a garage sale for a good price.

The cheapest one on amazon is $195 used. I don't imagine that those are moving that fast. I wonder what my chances are of selling it if I drop around $80 off it? It's amazon or craigslist. I don't really like doing much with ebay right now.

I'd put it up on Amazon and knock a few bucks off the $195 used...but not $80, not when it's actually brand new.

Try $175 or $150 to start, let it go for a week or so, then start dropping it accordingly.

If you have some patience, Amazon is a good way to go. Chances are the one person still looking for one of these is going to end up there at some point...it just might take you a little while to get there. I've sold a lot of collectible items on Amazon over the years, but it can take days or weeks sometimes to find that one buyer.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I'd put it up on Amazon and knock a few bucks off the $195 used...but not $80, not when it's actually brand new.

Try $175 or $150 to start, let it go for a week or so, then start dropping it accordingly.

If you have some patience, Amazon is a good way to go. Chances are the one person still looking for one of these is going to end up there at some point...it just might take you a little while to get there. I've sold a lot of collectible items on Amazon over the years, but it can take days or weeks sometimes to find that one buyer.[/QUOTE]
It's not new, that's why I suggested dropping so much off it. I was wanting to encourage someone to buy it quickly. If it was new, I could possibly get $400 for it. Putting it at $150 might be good.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I'd put it up on Amazon and knock a few bucks off the $195 used...but not $80, not when it's actually brand new.

If you have some patience, Amazon is a good way to go. Chances are the one person still looking for one of these is going to end up there at some point...it just might take you a little while to get there. I've sold a lot of collectible items on Amazon over the years, but it can take days or weeks sometimes to find that one buyer.[/QUOTE]

i did something similar. i had found a sealed gameboy player for the gamecube, put it on amazon beating the next lowest by 5 bucks, took a year to sell it but it was worth it.

[quote name='erehwon']It's not new, that's why I suggested dropping so much off it. I was wanting to encourage someone to buy it quickly. If it was new, I could possibly get $400 for it. Putting it at $150 might be good.[/QUOTE]

Who would pay $400 for a new HD DVD player? It's a dead format. Please stop thinking Amazon prices are 'normal'. People price things at insane levels hoping an idiot comes along and buys it.

[quote name='erehwon'] If it was new, I could possibly get $400 for it. Putting it at $150 might be good.[/QUOTE]

Lay off the drugs IMO.

I guess I should have said it was marked at $400 new on amazon. I know that they're not going to sell at that price. I should check to see if there is anything interesting I could trade it for on the trading board.

[quote name='erehwon']I guess I should have said it was marked at $400 new on amazon. I know that they're not going to sell at that price. I should check to see if there is anything interesting I could trade it for on the trading board.[/QUOTE]

Check out my trading list, I would be interested in it.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just go buy a player. The chance of finding one of maybe 1 million or so HD DVD players produced are likely very slim. Most people still hold onto them as DVD Players. $40 and you can be enjoying $3 HD DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Please point me in the direction of $40 HD-DVD players. My dvd player is taking shit on me, and I'd like to throw a HD player on my second tv for a little while.

I would so buy this, put it next to my BetaMax, Laserdisc and little 8-track player..OH, but in order to do that, I'd have to put it in my grandfather's house..only place I still see those items..

I totally skipped out on HD-DVD, but I don't see how you guys think it's superior to blu-ray..I'm going to do some fact checking now..my guess is the disc doesn't even have as much space as a BD disc, probably doesn't even have 7.1 Master Audio..

[quote name='typical guy']1080p with 1:1 pixel matching means it has the same picture quality. it has 15gb per disk rather than 25.[/QUOTE]

They have dual layer discs also

its worth it if you find a player for relatively cheap

OP, I imagine you may get better value trading that player here (not asking I already have one) then going through ebay.

[quote name='token2k6']I would so buy this, put it next to my BetaMax, Laserdisc and little 8-track player..OH, but in order to do that, I'd have to put it in my grandfather's house..only place I still see those items..

I totally skipped out on HD-DVD, but I don't see how you guys think it's superior to blu-ray..I'm going to do some fact checking now..my guess is the disc doesn't even have as much space as a BD disc, probably doesn't even have 7.1 Master Audio..[/QUOTE]

HD DVD has been dead for 2.5 years. Can't compare specs of BD today to HD of 2.5 years ago.

bread's done
Back