What to do with launch 60GB that won't read discs?

jaacob

CAGiversary!
I've got a BC 60GB (well, upped to 500GB but I've got the original 60GB drive somewhere around here) system from launch that stopped reading discs. Works fine on downloadables, but the disc drive won't spin up.

I considered spending the $150 with Sony to get it fixed but considering the short warranty for the price, I just upgraded to a 320GB slim.

I haven't found a good step-by-step guide on replacing the disc drive; is it resale value on the BC units worth the effort / cost? Or should I just wipe the drive and throw it up on eBay?

You really only need to switch out the laser. It's not hard to do, there are guides on youtube for it.

The laser costs around $50 I believe, so it's up to you on whether it's worth it or not.

Whoknows: How do you know when it's just the laser versus some other bit of the disc drive?

Enuf: Thanks for the links.

You may even find local shops that'll do it too usually they'll check it out for free so you'll know what's wrong & since you can get a warranty too even better. Pay the extra money for the thermal paste & all that it's worth it.

Mine did something similar back before it YLOD.

I'm pretty sure it's normal for the disc not to spin though if the laser is dead, because it won't detect that there is a disc in the drive.

If the disc goes in and ejects fine then it's probably the laser.

EDIT: Just to be clear it's not a sign of YLOD, just saying that PS3 is no longer with me :p

I did buy a laser off ebay and replace it and get it working again though.

whoknows: Cool, thanks for the info. The disc goes in and ejects just fine and the machine shows no other signs of distress, it just doesn't recognize there's a disc. I'll try replacing the laser. Maybe it'll even be fun. :)

bread's done
Back