What to do with used but not abused clothing?

SaraAB

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sell used clothing, other than the obvious. I have a lot of used but not abused clothing, nothing excessively worn and no stains tears or holes, some of it is brand name. I was going to sell it all at a yard sale but I am looking at only 25 cents to 1$ per item, and not all of it will sell. I will put it out at my sale but I am looking for other options here. Ebay might be an option for some things but in my experience clothing is expensive to ship and not too many people buy used items even if they are like new, everyone wants new with tags. I have a wide variety of sizes here (big family) but most is womens clothing.

I don't want to donate it because all the thrifts here will take my stuff and then sell each item for 7-8$, and that is not what I want to do with this stuff. I want to make some money, but I am not expecting a lot.

Yard sale is the best option if you want to turn it into cash.

Depending on your tax situation you should consider donating it (I know you said you don't want to). You can claim the fair market value of any clothing that you donate to Goodwill, etc. Just be sure to document everything you donate (and take pictures).

My family donates $2000 to $5000 worth of stuff every year and it helps in getting a larger return (usually 1/4 of that value comes back to us).

If you don't want to donate to a Goodwill or the like because they just sell it, consider giving it to a homeless shelter or clothing drive. If you save coats you don't need until winter you can find places to donate those all over the place.

What doesn't sell at the yard-sale, take to a local goodwill or salvation army. They will give you some type of estimate as to the value, which you should take off your taxes.

go to yahoo.com, click local

and type consignment, and your city and state

Otherwise just Goodwill. Unless you have a good location and lots of stuff, a garage sale won't be worth the time.

I understand what you're saying about the vintage stores buying your clothes from Goodwill/Salvation Army and profiting from that, but if Goodwill/Salvation Army can make some money in the process, too, might that be worth it?

You're really flattering yourself to think a trendy thrift store would snatch your stuff up from a non-profit. They probably don't want what you're donating. If you can't sell it directly to a for-profit thrift, just donate it to a non-profit thrift.

You can try selling on ebay. But you would need to sell items in a bundle or as you said shipping kills it. Otherwise consignment shops. Worst case your yard sale or donate. Those are pretty much all the options.

I am not heartless and would like to donate, however I see the prices at the local salvation army and they make me sick. They want 8$ for a pair of washed out jeans from the 1990's. Thats not helping the poor, and my city has plenty of poor people. St. Vincents is no better as they charge 5$ for old ratty clothing and 8$ for coats that are beyond usable. The place is always packed too, so I don't get it. You can buy clothes for 3$ per item in retail stores if you look hard enough here, I got a bunch of jeans from kmart for 3$ per pair brand new.

I price my stuff at the yearly yard sale we have WELL below what other people charge at their yard sales. I would rather let each item go for 25 cents each or even less if I had to then let it go to the SA where people will have to pay 8$ per pair of pants. Perhaps I can dump the unused clothing on the local freecycle group in the hopes that someone will actually use it.

As far as the condition of the clothing, us women like to wear things once and then ditch it! Its a weird concept but something you can't really change in the female population, lol. I am not personally guilty of this but I know many people who are in my family, thats why I ended up with a large amount of like new clothing.

I'd say ebay. Brand name stuff that can't be bought in stores anymore can fetch quite a few bucks. Clothes don't cost much to ship either.

If you're intent on matching possible buyers with your clothes, check your local Craig's List under the WANTED and CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES item categories. You never know, and it's free to list, as you know. You can list stuff under FREE too, for people that really need it.

Since you're a girl (like me ;)) I'd suggest you sign up for the Laundromatic.net forums. People post trade/sales lists of clothes, cosmetics, etc. on there. Also a lot of LiveJournal communities are for clothes sales as well.

Unfortunately for dudes no one really wants your clothes, unless it's like hardcore band shirts.

I give my clothes to shelters, I really think someone else could use them. I make sure i give them to someone that
A. is not to sell them
B. is actually going to use them

what a greedy little ignorant bastard child you are! don't you realize the money goodwill/Salvation Army make helps fund their non-profit organizations? they employ homeless, addicted and abused people to give them hope and a way to get back on their feet. and you're worried about making 25 cents a shirt at your yard sale you'll waste your whole weekend on? you really try to undercut other yard sales? what are you in the movie "waiting for guffman''? how white trash is that? i guess i never knew there was a market value standard for yard sales. it's hard to believe anyone would want to buy your pitted out "I love Michael McDonald" T-shirts anyways...:lol:

I know of stores like Plato's Closet give you money for name brand stuff or you can just trade up for new clothes...you can check their website and see if one is near you.

bread's done
Back