What To Play During The Summer? aka The Wii Fresh Air Avoidance Thread

mephitical

Banned
For the first time since well before launch, there are no upcoming (in the next few months) Wii games that I am excited about. I just went through the tentative release schedule through the end of August and the only thing I am even remotely interested in is Top Spin 3. Of course, this excludes WiiWare, which I still get excited about no matter what the game is.

Are there higher profile releases that I am missing among all the licensed games? Is it just the summer lull?

Here's IGN's list of what should be coming out in the next two months - is anyone looking forward to any of these, (or anything later in the year even - I am excited for Skate It, Spore and a few more)? I need to leech of your excitement to feed my addiction in these barren summer months. Make me think Sam & Max is funny. Make me shake with Samba de Amigo. Make me care about the plight of Freddy Fish. What do you want to play? Let's make hype!

date game title
17-Jun-08 Puzzler 2K
17-Jun-08 Wacky Races: Crash & Dash
22-Jun-08 Rock Band (game only)
22-Jun-08 Rock Band: Special Edition
24-Jun-08 Alone in the Dark
24-Jun-08 Big Beach Sports
24-Jun-08 Cocoto Kart Racer
24-Jun-08 Top Spin 3
24-Jun-08 WALL-E
27-Jun-08 Myth Makers: Trixie in Toyland
27-Jun-08 Purr Pals
29-Jun-08 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
29-Jun-08 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (Game & Guitar Controller Bundle)
30-Jun-08 Heavenly Guardian
30-Jun-08 Puzzler Collection
8-Jul-08 Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
8-Jul-08 Wonderworld Amusement Park
11-Jul-08 SNK Arcade Classics: Volume 1
14-Jul-08 Yamaha Super Cross
15-Jul-08 Ford Racing Off Road
15-Jul-08 Garfield Gets Real
15-Jul-08 NCAA Football 09
15-Jul-08 Rock Band: Track Pack Volume 1
15-Jul-08 Space Chimps
15-Jul-08 We Love Golf!
22-Jul-08 Chess Crusade
22-Jul-08 Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, The
22-Jul-08 Order Up!
29-Jul-08 Freddi Fish: The Case of The Missing Kelp Seeds
29-Jul-08 Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
29-Jul-08 MLB Power Pros 2008
29-Jul-08 Summer Athletics
31-Jul-08 Pajama Sam: Don't Fear the Dark
1-Aug-08 Rygar: The Battle of Argus
5-Aug-08 King of Clubs
5-Aug-08 Little League World Series Baseball 2008
5-Aug-08 Margot's Word Brain
12-Aug-08 Brave: A Warrior's Tale
12-Aug-08 Madden NFL 09
19-Aug-08 Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
19-Aug-08 Rebel Raiders: Operation NightHawk
19-Aug-08 Samba de Amigo Wii
19-Aug-08 Super PickUps
19-Aug-08 Ten Pin Alley
20-Aug-08 Defendin' de Penguin
25-Aug-08 Mario Super Sluggers
26-Aug-08 Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli
26-Aug-08 Jeep Thrills
26-Aug-08 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
29-Aug-08 Sam & Max Season One

Power Pros will take you from August to Christmas it is going to be so deep. That is one I can't wait for.

Out of that list Im getting

Alone In The Dark
MLB Power Pros 2008
Rygar
Sam and Max

That should do me until Christmas plus I need to catch up on a lot of old stuff.

Edit: Holy S--t, did I read Little League World Series Baseball? That game was killer on the NES. Maybe it isn't even related but man Little League Baseball was good.

Edit 2: Order Up sounds intriguing also. It's like Cooking Mama but then has a restaurant management sim game added on. I think that's the game Im thinking of. Wait for review type one though.

I'll definitely be picking up Samba de Amigo and Sam & Max. I'll be playing Spore on my PC unless there's some amazing feature to bring me over to the Wii on that. Nothing else appeals to me personally.

I don't think I'll be picking up anything at release, but I'm interested in:

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Mario Super Sluggers
Rygar: The Battle of Argus (I thought this got pushed back to October for some reason)
Samba de Amigo Wii

I might pick up these, if they clearance or are part of a decent sale:

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
SNK Arcade Classics: Volume 1

I imagine there will be more things to be excited about after Nintendo throws us a few bones at E3.

I'm assuming Okami is gonna take me a few months to get through.

[quote name='mephitical']
30-Jun-08 Heavenly Guardian
1-Aug-08 Rygar: The Battle of Argus
19-Aug-08 Samba de Amigo Wii
29-Aug-08 Sam & Max Season One[/quote]

Heavenly Guardian is already out.

My main want this summer is MLB Power Pros 2008.

I might pick up We Love Golf, pending impressions. Otherwise my backlog and DS titles are what is going to carry me through the summer.

I'm interested in Chcoobo's Dungeon and that's pretty much it. Already have Samba de Amigo for DC (with maracas) and Sam & Max for PC, so I see no point in picking them up again. I have a pretty decent-sized backlog right now anyway...

date game title

15-Jul-08 We Love Golf!
12-Aug-08 Madden NFL 09
[/quote]

Those are the only ones I'm even remotely interested in. Madden is probably a day one purchase, as the graphics seemed to have taken a huge step up and I like the new modes and features they've added, plus it apparently has online. Being able to download updated rosters would seal the deal, but I'm not sure if they can do that on the Wii.

The other games I probably won't even buy, though Mario Super Sluggers has the best chance, followed by We Love Golf! and lastly Final Fantasy Fables. Really, the only reason I have any interest in Fables is because I need an RPG fix to last until Tales of Symphonia, but I'll probably think better of it.

Tiger Woods 09 interests me but its not because I'm going to buy it anytime soon. It means that Tiger Woods 08 will be much cheaper! True CAGer style.

15-Jul-08 Rock Band: Track Pack Volume 1
[/quote]

Whoa...that surprised me, so there will be dlc on wii games?

And to be more on topic, the only game I'm interested in these coming months is SBCGFAT on WiiWare - amaze us Nintendo (an August release for Pikmin 3 would be crazy to say the least)

pa.131405.1.jpg

this is what i want.

Also: 22-Jul-08 Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, The another movie based game... so I expect it to suck and be a Jumper-style flip.

Overall I'm not too pleased with the summer release schedule, I mean the games being released aren't entirely bad... but Nintendo's delay on Smash Brothers... followed by the immediate release of Mario Kart and Okami make the Wii owners expect a lot of good games in a really short amount of time.

In all honesty, though... the Wii had Feb - May releases. The PS3 is having May - August releases. And they are all ending the year with major 3rd party games (Ghostbusters, TFU, etc). While I completely agree the summer line-up is less than stellar... I would rather them hold off on any more huge releases until closer to November... sorta like they did last year across all platforms (SMG, AC, COD4) because regardless of how cheapass I am... I cant afford the intense release schedules that my heart desires.

[quote name='Foo228']Whoa...that surprised me, so there will be dlc on wii games?
[/QUOTE]
That is a Rock Band expansion disc that has a handful of DLC already available for the PS360.

I'm loving the title...

Are you serious about that Harvest Moon coming out? I don't know why but I'm wildly addicted to the series, I'll be super into the game for like 3 weeks then hate it vehemently. I'm also looking forward to Guitar Hero and Samba de Amigo.

MLB Power Pros baby!!!

Played the japanese ps2 series for a while, then they localized it with 2k sports last year, so now it has mlb players/teams. Last year's game was fun, and budget priced. DS version also seems interesting.

Yikes, not really wanting anything on that list. I'm kinda thankful though, the summer lull means I get to work on the backlog. I'll be busy with moving to California this summer anyway, so I'm not too disappointed. Maybe some good WiiWare and VC games will pop up though.

Of course, who knows with Nintendo...

15-Jul-08 We Love Golf!
12-Aug-08 Brave: A Warrior's Tale

all of these games look pretty good to me.

bread's done
Back