What video games have great soundtracks?

classics or most recent?

Because I could think of a great number of classic games with awesome soundtracks, not so much on recent games tho.

For recent games I'll have to put The World Ends with You. Liked most of the songs there and was definitely surprised that the DS was capable of holding that many songs in a game with decent quality.

Halo franchise. MGS franchise, Sonic 1-3. Super Mario games. Master of Monsters. Street Fighter 2 (any)

More
oldschool: The Last V8, Aztec Challenge

[quote name='magus83']classics or most recent?

Because I could think of a great number of classic games with awesome soundtracks, not so much on recent games tho.

For recent games I'll have to put The World Ends with You. Liked most of the songs there and was definitely surprised that the DS was capable of holding that many songs in a game with decent quality.[/QUOTE]

There couple of good recent soundtracks. Anyway, music is just about personal preference. No list is going to be the same. The World Ends With You official soundtrack isn't as great as game. Many of music are slight alteration of another. Just to name a few a recent or semi recent ones

Megaman 9
Kingdom Hearts Series
Digital Saga 1+2
Persona 3 +4
Phoenix Wright Series
Halo 3
Nights Journey Into Dreams
Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid 4
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

There have been more than a few threads on this topic. But, here goes again....

Chrono Cross/Trigger
Final Fantasy's (especially 6,7,8, 10, 10-2 & Black Mages cd's)
Metal Gear series
Fable 1 and 2
Gitaroo Man
Lost Odyssey
Zelda series
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Halo series

By far Final Fantasy 3 (US - FFVI in JP) ... even though it's oldschool SNES MIDI.

FF7 US isn't too shabby, either.

Onimusha Dawn of Dreams
Ace Combat 4
Ace Combat 5
Ace Combat Zero
Ducktales
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Persona 3
Romance of the Three Kingdoms X
Kessen 3

Of the ones that come to mind, most of my favorites are older games:

Castlevania (Most of them are excellent, definitely not HoD, though)
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 1-2
Fable: Lost Chapters
Final Fantasy VI
Grim Fandango
Heroes of Might and Magic II
Kingdom Hearts 1-2
Live a Live
Lufia II
Metal Gear Solid 3
Monkey Island 1-3
Mega Man 2
Mega Man X1-6
Mega Man Battle Network 1-3
Shadow of the Colossus
Sonic the Hedgehog 1-2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

[quote name='apollo610']FF7 US isn't too shabby, either.[/QUOTE]
The soundtracks for the Japanese and International (US/Europe) versions of FFVII are exactly the same :razz:

Some favorites of mine that haven't been mentioned here yet. Alternate Japanese titles in brackets where applicable:
- Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (Giant Egg)
- Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis version)
- Sonic Adventure
- Rhapsody (Puppet Princess of the Marl Kingdom)
- Kirby's Adventure
- Dragon Quest VIII (note: the Symphonic Suite recordings were used for the international versions of the game)
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Wish Room)
- Klonoa 2 (Klonoa of the Wind 2)
- OutRun 2

And I am so surprised that no one has yet mentioned Katamari Damacy or We (heart) Katamari (aka Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy).

[quote name='The Crotch']Brawl, Brawl, and more Brawl. Srsly, Tetris Type A? Golden.[/quote]
I agree, but it's basically cheating since it's pretty much a best of Nintendo soundtrack.

Tetris64, Tetrisphere, Ys books 1&2, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 1 & 2 (3 sucked ass), Sword of Vermillion, Phantasy Star 2, MegaMan 2 and 3, Sonic CD, Gaires, Sagaia, Killer Instinct Gold, SpellCaster, Wonderboy 3. Did I go too way old school?

My favorite soundtrack is for Phantom Dust (Xbox), as it has a lot of beautiful classical music that I think goes great with the game, and it's fresh since I don't listen to that kind of music otherwise. That is also one of my favorite games of all time, so of course I'll love the soundtrack.

Fable, Oblivion, Gears of War and Halo have good music that goes well with their games, but isn't nearly as nice to listen to by itself. Braid has great music but it was all licensed.

Legend of Zelda by team Z.R.E.O. If you go to there website, you can download all of there songs for free!

Best I've heard: Ar Tonelico

Others: Xenosaga 3, LBP, R&C:ToD, Atelier Iris 1 and 2 (similar to Ar Tonelico), Okami, Dark Cloud 2, MGS 3, Beyond Good & Evil, Icewind Dale 1, Diablo 1 and 2

[quote name='Ninjanickx']Legend of Zelda by team Z.R.E.O. If you go to there website, you can download all of there songs for free![/quote]
I just downloaded some of their tracks the other day and I'm really impressed. I went on to download all of the collections. It's amazing to hear Zelda orchestrated music, even if it is made with a electronic/synthesized orchestra.

Holy shit. How bout Terminator for the Sega CD and Final Fight also for the Sega CD. Even though Tommy Tallerico cant review games worth a shit, he can make a great sound track.

another thread like this? seems at least 2 a year now...

well:

Licensed:
Little Big Planet
.skate
The Warriors
GTAIV (note: must have wide range of tastes... I realize it takes alot to ask of someone to like regeton stuff)
Braid

Original:
Mass Effect
REZ
Katamari (first and second game... avoid latest)
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
Red Dead Revolver
Oblivion
No More Heroes
Killer 7

i know a ton more, but that's off the top and bottom of my head

bread's done
Back