What was an awesome arcade experience you just couldn't replicate (easily) at home?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
Tricky question, with XBOX live out there....

My vote is Forgotten Worlds spinner controller.

A quick second vote for the spin controllers in Victory Road ][, Heavy Barrel and Time Soldiers.

Now, I can't defend the way this tard is playing 'er... but... still.
1181242107117.jpg

The Star Wars Episode 1 Racer arcade machine was ballin'. Or at least, the controls were, and that can never be replicated at home.

And the arcade experience of playing against other, potentially good people is hard to replicate at home, too.

D-Tech aka Dance Station 3DDX 2nd Mix maybe.

The Wii MIGHT be able to though with the sensors. The proper pad would be more difficult, hard pad rather.

Mocap Boxing MIGHT be one.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Do-do-do-do-DO-doooooooooo...Dayyyyyyyyyyyytoooooooooona!

24 player linked race, with a race announcer and car-cams.[/QUOTE]

"Getting ovaaaaaaaa, you told me, told me. This is the crew chief that doesn't hear me talk. Review the day so good luck. Yes it's a wonderful day. Here it's a wonderful day, down at Daytona.".

It's a Daytona USA song off "Crackin' DJ Part 2".

[quote name='Sarang01']"Getting ovaaaaaaaa, you told me, told me. This is the crew chief that doesn't hear me talk. Review the day so good luck. Yes it's a wonderful day. Here it's a wonderful day, down at Daytona.".

It's a Daytona USA song off "Crackin' DJ Part 2".[/quote]

Nerd cred +1, sir.

We had the huge setup at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Keep in mind that hot chicks were coming straight off the beach and right into the arcade. Bikinis and all.

I think they had the cameras angled in just that way for the epic boob shots.

Street Fighter 2, and then Mortal Kombat..nothing can replicate 20-50 dorks all crowded around 3 or 4 machines taking turns usually getting our asses kicked by a handful of really good players.

Daytona sit down cabinets.

Time Crisis/Point Blank with recoil guns.

The Simpsons arcade because Konami and EA are retarded and haven't re-released it.

Lucky and Wild 2 player driving and shooting was lots of fun too.

Top Skater and Air Trix. I remember there was a skateboarding controller released for PS2 and I was hoping Sega would port one or both those games over with it.

DDR to an extent, my Cobalt Flux is nice but I wish they had made more of those PSX metal dance arcade replica pads (they were made by Konami and only available for a short time in Japan), at a good price.

aw fuck, I can't remember what it was called (I want to say Space Cowboy though I know thats wrong) which was the big white table looking 3d arcade game
And then there was the game at Disney World which was a gyro that you got strapped in to and you spun around as you shot aliens....which also brings to mind the real Top Gun arcade game and the astronaut game where your strapped into a chair what spins around

[quote name='primetime']The Bozo Game
[/QUOTE]

I still have my home version that I won when I was on the show

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Star Wars Arcade - the sit-down model.[/quote]

Yes! Also, another vector game that was better in the arcade is Tempest. It just doesn't feel right without the spinner.

[quote name='jer7583']Time Crisis/Point Blank with recoil guns.[/quote]

Those games are great. I have Time Crisis for the PSX but the game loses a lot when you have to press a button on the gun rather than step on the pedal to duck into cover.

Marble Madness. Any game with a trackball, really.

Arkanoid. The NES controller that came with that version was ok, but the game was different enough that it wasn't the same for me. Any game with a spinner is different.

APB. Not the new MMO, but the old-school, top-down cop driving game. I have it on the Lynx, and it's not the same without a steering wheel and pedals.

And as a bonus... one I wouldn't want to re-create at home.

Street Fighter. The first one, with the pressure sensitive buttons. Hitting the button harder for tougher attacks? Wacky!

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Those games are great. I have Time Crisis for the PSX but the game loses a lot when you have to press a button on the game rather than step on the pedal to duck into cover.[/QUOTE]

if you have a steering wheel with a pdeal you can plug that in control 2 and use that as the pedal.

[quote name='metaly']PROP CYCLE. I still want a machine for my living room.

Edit: Only $1500! I wonder how much it costs to ship.[/quote]

Oh man, friggen prop cycle! I always wanted to play it, but couldn't justify spending a dollar on 1 game.

That fat, fat, fat fuck who occupied the entire front of the machine because he was so fuckin' fat, and rocked all the kids on MK2 and 3 (and SSFII).

Plus, he didn't use any deodorant or, evidently, wash his clothes.

Them were the days, I tellya...

[quote name='62t']if you have a steering wheel with a pdeal you can plug that in control 2 and use that as the pedal.[/quote]

I always just put a second controller on the floor and stepped on the face buttons. Super ghetto, but effective.

[quote name='Aberforth']Oh man, friggen prop cycle! I always wanted to play it, but couldn't justify spending a dollar on 1 game.[/quote]

Tell me the next time you see a machine and I'll Paypal you some tokens.

Any table top arcade game (where you sit down and have to look down to play)

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. (GO! GO! GO!)

1942 - it's great fun playing with someone else.

Any light gun game (Time Crisis, HOTD etc)

Drum Mania or Konami Beat Mix

And last but most important.....

Going to a Japanese arcade for the first time.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']What was that game that had a crossbow and the purpose was to keep a group of travelers safe? That game was the bee's knees.[/QUOTE]

It was called CROSSBOW. :)

Collecting tickets that can only be used to acquire feathers or tiny plastic spider rings. Also, I miss seeing the greasy uber nerds who think they're bad ass in the real world because they could beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Street Fighter. The first one, with the pressure sensitive buttons. Hitting the button harder for tougher attacks? Wacky![/quote]

I played Street Fighter quite a bit, on both the standard cabinet and the big-screen model, and every one I played had the same 6-button layout as SFII. Wikipedia agrees with you, but I've never seen or even heard of the pressure-sensitive controls until today.

Back on topic:

Terminator 2 (machine gun game)--especially the big-screen version.
Afterburner
Some MotoGP game I can't remember the name of, had 2 or 4 bikes and you'd race head to head.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']It was called CROSSBOW. :)[/quote]

I love Crossbow. Still, a game I have never beat. Was there a pattern in stage selection. I'd always end up walking back to the beginning. One time I made it to the final castle level (I mean, literally, one time in 15+ years of casual arcade play) but, alas, I died.

Wing War - It was a Model 1 Sega game that focused on dogfighting in all sorts of different planes. Part of the reason I got a Saturn was the hope that Wing War would get a home release. Wing Arms was a far cry from what I was looking for.

really any of the games that had a really wild controller/steering wheel/seat. The cruisin usa was pretty cool, i know people hate the game on this site, but like i said the controller is key.

Also, the games that had a mounted rifle(T2).

[quote name='chakan']Mr Unoriginal, I beg to differ. You can recreate the awesome arcade experience of Boong-Ga Boong-Ga at home.[/QUOTE]

Volunteering?

arcades is life yo...

home gaming can neither replicate the dick riding nor dick sucking that the arcade scene has to offer

bread's done
Back