What was, literally, the first video game you ever played and when?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
Just like the title says. What was the first video game you ever laid hands on? Arcade? Home console? Twenty years ago? Last March?

The first time I ever played a video game was either back in 1979 or 1980. I was very young. It was Pac Man on my friends Atari - they lived in a trailer but his parents divorced which = expensive toys for young distressed children. These things were probably one thousand dollars (adjusted) back in the day.

I was completely mesmerized (by a TOTAL P.O.S. game I might add :lol: ) and I'm almost tempted to brazenly state that 1979 was right about the time that the social experiment of video games and their effects on the human brain(which still continues with new victims every year) was launched!

I could barely wrap my mind around the fact that I was playing a game with the television. Sounds kind of silly now.

Now THESE are some sexy graphics:

A2600_Pac-Man.png

I really don't know. I played NES, and computer games at my cousins house. My sister and I got a NES when I was 5 or 6. we got it when it came with Super Mario Bros, and Duck Hunt. So I'll just say SMB was my first game. Since I can't remember what I played at my cousins.

typical as it is the first game i ever played was super mario bros.

my dad was going over to my uncles to play football, and i asked to go along.
Of course i was allowed under the condition i wouldn't play video games. As soon as we got there i asked my uncle to play, and from that moment i was hooked. Its almost poetic justice that I'm helping to hook his kids on games these days.

I believe it was Jungle Hunt for the TI-99. 1984 sounds about right. Either that or Parsec or one of the other handful of games we had for that computer/console. Got an NES with Mario Bros/Duck Hunt a few years later. For some reason I remember it being a left-to-right game, but apparently it was right-to-left. Probably because every game since was left-to-right.

hunter1.png

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ti-994a/jungle-hunt/screenshots

I know I played several NES games at friends' houses before getting my own console, but my first clear memory of playing is when my mom allowed me to stay up late to play Super Mario Bros. the night that she surprised me with an NES -- shortly before Christmas in 1988. I was six.

I love these threads because people always come and say how they were playing X game when they were 2 and if you've ever spent any real time with a 2 year old you know it's complete crap.

I'll guess that the first game I ever played was probably Pac-man in the arcades around 1981. I would have been 6 or 7.

[quote name='javeryh']I love these threads because people always come and say how they were playing X game when they were 2 and if you've ever spent any real time with a 2 year old you know it's complete crap.

I'll guess that the first game I ever played was probably Pac-man in the arcades around 1981. I would have been 6 or 7.[/quote]

I'm on the same page - I was five with my first (above) video game experience.

Two year olds don't drive cars, they don't buy the rap albums and they certainly don't play games.

It was either Super Mario Bros or Donkey Kong Country 1. I'm like 80% sure it was DKC. Gah it got me addicted to video games and I remember the exact moment when I got that system and when I played it. It's so vivid to me it's crazy! Don't know why I'd remember that... but I remember I was going with my dad as a young kid to the store and he said to me "Hey do you want one of these, they're the new thing" or something like that, and I asked "What is it." Then I said sure when he explained it. Next thing I knew I was at my house playing, only to be playing Nintendo games up till today! My family had also all wanted to try it, since none of us had ever really played video games (Besides maybe my parents trying pong or something), but I was the only one who really liked it and was real good at it. Oh ya and I would have been in Grade 1 I think when I got this

Today, though, I'm the only one who really plays games, my other siblings sometimes(although lately they seem to much more than in the past). My parents have hated every system after the Snes as they thought it was too "Complicated and makes you dizzy, or its just boring to sit there and play." Yet my mom watches American Idol sometimes...so how could video games be boring? XD

Legend of Zelda. I was over at a friend's house and he was the first person I knew who had a NES. It must have been 1987 or so.

The first I can remember playing is a PC game actually... Either Kings Quest 2 or Cavequest. Can't even find references to cavequest anymore, still remember launching it from the MS-DOS 2.1 prompt, off of the 5 1/4 floppy. CAVQUEST.EXE.

I know I played games before that, I had an Atari earlier, but parents sold it. I had a NES later. So I'll have to say PC.

Some pong type game in the mid-70's.

My son, who is four, has beaten Lego Star Wars on GC and Lego Star Wars 2 on 360. Quite a bit different from my early days of Pong!

Home system maybe Chopper Command or Defender for the 2600 around 6 or 7 years old, honestly it's really hard to remember it's been around 25 years.

[quote name='furyk']Something on the Atari 2600. No clue what though (possibly Pitfall). I was three or four at the time.[/QUOTE]

samehere.... my dad got it and i sucked at it... I think missile command or bezerk was my first game.

It had to be something on the 2600, since that's the first console we owned when I was a kid. No clue on the game though. I don't even remember what we had.

[quote name='Quillion']The first I can remember playing is a PC game actually... Either Kings Quest 2 or Cavequest. Can't even find references to cavequest anymore, still remember launching it from the MS-DOS 2.1 prompt, off of the 5 1/4 floppy. CAVQUEST.EXE.

I know I played games before that, I had an Atari earlier, but parents sold it. I had a NES later. So I'll have to say PC.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I think Quillion wins this thread. The man had to type in DOS prompts. He gets my vote FTW.

The first game I ever played was Star Raiders on the Atari 2600. The only other game I had for the system was Circus Atari, which I didn't play much. I'm pretty sure I got my Atari sometime in 1985 . I don't remember getting very far in either game, as I was 3 years old when I started playing. And I didn't spend much time with the system, as I got an NES either later that year or the next summer on my birthday.

I cant remember which of these happened first:

- played one of those dedicated pong consoles at a friends house, this was pre 2600.

- My uncle bought me this coleco tank combat console. This was also pre 2600 iirc.

The first coin-ops I remember playing were Space Invaders, and this black & white Atari driving game. It had 2 steering wheels on it, and your car looked like a capital letter H. It was a top down perspective and looked kinda like a primitive Super Sprint.

I have memories of playing Atari, and memories of playing Super Mario Bros., but I don't remember which was first. I think Atari first. There is a chance that the first video game I ever played was E.T., and that makes me lol.

[quote name='CitizenB']I'm sorry but I think Quillion wins this thread. The man had to type in DOS prompts. He gets my vote FTW.[/quote]

I've actually played many games through DOS. One of the early issues was that we needed MS-DOS 3.1's memory handling (I think) for certain games. We could never find the 3.1 boot floppy. Then we got a hard drive. Installation was a pain, involving removing IC's. Anyway, it was a massive 17MB.

I'll stop talking dork. Sorry.

[quote name='Quillion']I've actually played many games through DOS. One of the early issues was that we needed MS-DOS 3.1's memory handling (I think) for certain games. We could never find the 3.1 boot floppy. Then we got a hard drive. Installation was a pain, involving removing IC's. Anyway, it was a massive 17MB.

I'll stop talking dork. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

This is why you win this thread others popped a game into a console. You my friend were using a Tandy to play games.

I think it was a game called Barnyard Blaster for the Atari XE system, back in '86 or so. but it might have been missle command...not sure, I was only 6, so it's a little fuzzy.

Wait are we including handhelds? I had this blue portable pacman game when i was 4 which was before atari. My dad also had some kind of baseball game where the ball was pitched and you saw it travel by dots to the plate and you had to hit a button to swing and it was random to what kind of hit you got.

Excitebike on the NES. I was probably around 3 or 4. I remember it cause I was messing around and I kept crashing into one of the computer bikers over and over again. My dad got all mad and yelled at me cause he said that I was gonna break the game. I burst into tears right after.

It was Super Mario Bros in I think. No way I could tell you if this is right as I was around 3 at the time, but I do remember playing super mario bros at my grandparent's old house when I was about that age. Might have been Duck hunt though....

bread's done
Back