What was the last concert/show you went to?

Saw Anthrax with Cephalic Carnage and Havok tonight. The will call ticket booth took FOREVER so we missed Havok. Cephalic was alright, I know what to expect from them since they're a local band around here. Anthrax was AWESOME. Outside of Joey Belladonna and Scott Ian's goatee, none of the band members ever seem to age. That and majority of stuff they played was from Among the Living and Spreading the Disease. Plus they closed the night with "I Am The Law."

Indigo Girls (yeah, I know, but they are a total nostalgia band for me and my wife loves them).

I did learn a hard lesson: If you are a tall straight guy near the stage at an SRO IG show, the thousands of drunken (shorter) lesbians behind you WILL GET VIOLENT.

Up next:

Jonsi
Sufjan Stevens
Iron & Wine

Yeah, I saw NoMeansNo was touring recently. I'd love to see them, but I'm not sure if they're coming near here.

Gotta twofer this week:
Kylesa/Torche/High on Fire tomorrow
Corin Tucker Band on Thursday

[quote name='mykevermin']Yeah, I saw NoMeansNo was touring recently. I'd love to see them, but I'm not sure if they're coming near here.

Gotta twofer this week:
Kylesa/Torche/High on Fire tomorrow
Corin Tucker Band on Thursday[/QUOTE]

I want to see that High On Fire show at Starlight Ballroom tomorrow but I can't make it.

[quote name='Midnite']Bad Religion at Rams Head Live. Awesome show, a good mix of the old with the new.[/QUOTE]
Aw. Lucky bastard. They skipped Saskatchewan last time they came through Canada.

[quote name='jbuck138']I'm gonna see Yo Gabba Gabba on Wednesday. I can't wait to see DJ Lance! How was it javeryh?[/QUOTE]

It was really fun. I mean it was just like an episode of the TV show - same songs and everything - but seeing everything live was great. My kids loved it. We got Urge Overkill for the Super Music Friends Show and we got Moby for the Dancey Dance. Easily the best part of the show was when Biz Markie came out. I swear to god it was like the Beatles at Shea Stadium - the place went completely nuts.

Last concert was Rise Against/Rancid/Billy Talent, August 25th 2009 at the Festival Pier in Philadelphia. It was awesome.

[quote name='kerplunk']Last concert was Rise Against/Rancid/Billy Talent, August 25th 2009 at the Festival Pier in Philadelphia. It was awesome.[/QUOTE]

wow rancid and rise againt under one roof? thats gotta be something

Went to a few shows the past couple days.

Jonsi/Mountain Man on Friday, The Henry Clay People/The Dig on Saturday, Of Montreal/Janelle Monae on Monday, and Avi Buffalo today.

The Jonsi show was breathtaking. The visuals were so beautiful and worked perfectly with the music. I had tears in my eyes during this show, and I saw many others that were crying.

Oh, and Janelle Monae > Of Montreal.

just got back from Yo Gabba Gabba. Music group was the Sun Bears. Not sure who they are? They were ok.

Starting Linebackers for the Jaguars did the dance segment and Biz Markie was great. I would have loved to have seen Moby. Jacksonville just doesn't have the celebs NY does.

This past Saturday me and a bunch of friends went to the Bottom Lounge in Chicago to see Pelican's 10 Year Anniversary show. I dragged my girlfriend to the very front of the stage. It was pretty amazing seeing them perform their instrumental awesomeness live.

Girl and I drove to Philly to see Social Distortion Friday night. Those guys are AMAZING and actually took the #1 spot of my favorite shows of all time. Afterwards, we got to meet Mike Ness.

Saw Mushroomhead last night for their annual Halloween show in Cleveland and they rocked my face off just like I remember them being ~8 years ago. Glad to see J Mann out there, just wish it didn't seem like it went by so quick.

[quote name='QiG']Saw Mushroomhead last night for their annual Halloween show in Cleveland and they rocked my face off just like I remember them being ~8 years ago. Glad to see J Mann out there, just wish it didn't seem like it went by so quick.[/QUOTE]

I remember when XX came out and really enjoying them. XIII kinda fell flat, and I think they just went downhill from there, but XX and prior, they had some damn solid material. Too bad J-Mann couldn't really continue with Fractured Transmitter or whatever, either, because it seemed like it could have been a pretty decent little label.

Speaking of, how is their new cd, if you've listened?

[quote name='Vulgarism']I remember when XX came out and really enjoying them. XIII kinda fell flat, and I think they just went downhill from there, but XX and prior, they had some damn solid material. Too bad J-Mann couldn't really continue with Fractured Transmitter or whatever, either, because it seemed like it could have been a pretty decent little label.

Speaking of, how is their new cd, if you've listened?[/QUOTE]

Around when XX came out was when I had drifted away from their music.. not because I stopped liking them, but my interests just shifted around then. So I really didn't get into XIII until I started listening to them again this summer, and I really like it now. I don't feel like XIII really departed from their normal sound as much as Savior Sorrow did, but even that has grown on me.

As for Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children, you can stream the whole album off their myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/mushroomhead/music/albums/beautiful-stories-for-ugly-children-16834457?ap=1 For me, they have a distinct element to their style so new music will sound familiar even before I have a chance to really absorb it. I liked it immediately and while J Mann brings something special to the table, I don't hold it against Waylon that he's not J Mann because he's definitely talented.

As an older fan, I had to laugh when I saw someone dressed in the wedding dress/shoulder pads get up and I miss all the females that would take off their shirts and jump on stage at the end of the show, but I had a great time moving around the whole venue for different views and they kick a lot of ass live... the sound in youtube videos never does the live performances justice.

[quote name='sp00ge']Girl and I drove to Philly to see Social Distortion Friday night. Those guys are AMAZING and actually took the #1 spot of my favorite shows of all time. Afterwards, we got to meet Mike Ness.[/QUOTE]

Just as important, you saw Lucero, too! How were they?

I didn't know they were in town, but now I've satisfied two questions of mine:
1) Where is the Electric Factory?
2) What is the club I drive past on my way home every night?

Went to Ween tonight with my friend for HalloWEEN. Man, so many damn hippies. Plus I could only tolerate an hour of Ween max and they played for like THREE HOURS.

[quote name='mykevermin']Just as important, you saw Lucero, too! How were they?

2) What is the club I drive past on my way home every night?[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you're a Philly concert goer and you didn't know where the Electric Factory is! That's like, the place for concerts in Philly. I actually kinda hate that place, I prefer the TLA or Troc.

Jonsi (lead singer of Sigur Ros) last night at the Tabernacle in Atlanta. Great, great high-energy show. It was Halloween, of course, so at least half of the crowd were in costume, as was the band (though it was hard to tell how much of their dressing up was for the holiday and how much was just their normal touring garb). As Jonsi informed us at one point, "We don't have Halloween in Iceland." But he seemed delighted by it all the same.

[quote name='mykevermin']Just as important, you saw Lucero, too! How were they?

2) What is the club I drive past on my way home every night?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I really didn't care for Lucero. They weren't bad, but definitely not that great either. The rest of the audience, aside from a few diehard fans, really didn't respond much to them. Frank Turner, on the other hand, was pretty good and had a huge response from the audience.

To be fair, Frank Turner was the first act, Lucero was second. I think by the time Lucero was halfway through their set, people were just ready for Social D, who didn't go on until almost 10:30, when the show started at 8:30. On the upside of that, Social D played almost until 12:30.

The next show we're planning on going to is Rammstein at Madison Square Garden. But with the going rate for tickets being in the mid-$200 range each, I'm half-tempted to sell ours.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm surprised you're a Philly concert goer and you didn't know where the Electric Factory is! That's like, the place for concerts in Philly. I actually kinda hate that place, I prefer the TLA or Troc.[/QUOTE]

Just moved here maybe 2.5 months back, though I live about 5-6 blocks from there. I've only been to a few venues thus far: starlight ballroom, kung fu necktie, first unitarian church, and...i forget the other one. johnny brendas, but that's just for food since it's right around the corner from me. so i'm taking some time acclimating.

EDIT: Hmm. That's a shame, spooge. Lucero's most recent record (1372 overton park?) is soooo good, IMO. It's like a classic Springsteen record with more horns. I can appreciate people wanting the main act to get on with it. I felt that way when we saw Corin Tucker on Thursday, as the opening act was fucking terrible and started 45 minutes late (Hungry Ghost).

[quote name='mykevermin']Just moved here maybe 2.5 months back, though I live about 5-6 blocks from there. I've only been to a few venues thus far: starlight ballroom, kung fu necktie, first unitarian church, and...i forget the other one. johnny brendas, but that's just for food since it's right around the corner from me. so i'm taking some time acclimating.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. It seems you've seen mostly smaller bands so far if they're only playing at those places, the bigger ones usually go to the Electric Factory, TLA or Trocadero. Out of the ones you listed, I've only been to the First Unitarian Church and that was to see High On Fire earlier this year. It was cool to be so close to the band, I was right against the stage directly in front of Matt, he almost stepped on my hands a few times, but the sound was kinda crappy being that close and it gets MEGA hot in there. Philly is a great place for concerts, bands rarely skip it.

OK GO
10/28 @ Webster Theater
Hartford, CT

Dresden Dolls
w/ Legendary Pink Dots
10/31 @ Irving Plaza
NYC

Two excellent shows! OK GO is a blast live and it was nice to see the Dolls back on stage together.

[quote name='sp00ge']

The next show we're planning on going to is Rammstein at Madison Square Garden. But with the going rate for tickets being in the mid-$200 range each, I'm half-tempted to sell ours.[/QUOTE]

You want to attend this... if only to see Combichrist.

Saw co-headliners Ariel Pink and Os Mutantes last night.

Opening act was Diva, a really pretty girl with only a bass and cassette player. 8 people were there while played in this semi-big place. Haha.
Music was meh.

Ariel Pink was next. Boring for the most part.

Os Mutantes were fantastic. Never expected to see them live ever.

[quote name='bmachine']Or you could pay $17 to see Aesthetic Perfection and stick around to see Combichrist for free.[/QUOTE]

I won't lie.. I would rather see their your lineup than them with Rammstein. Rammstein's last two albums I have hated. Aesthetic Perfect and God Module I love... Combichrist's new album.. it's different.

Sadly I have to miss the Genitorturers concert next week, my ride flaked out, but I'm seeing mc chris tomorrow night at least. Hoping Abney Park plays at the World Steam Expo next year.

I saw Enter Shikari with Haste the Day, Sleeping With Sirens, and Lights Go Blue on Tuesday. It was aton of fun, I've been wanting to see Enter Shikari for a couple of years now and they were absolutely perfect.

Matt and Kim
@ Toad's Place, New Haven, CT
11/5/2010

Say Anything
Motion City Soundtrack
@ Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, Providence, RI
11/6/2010

[quote name='georox']I won't lie.. I would rather see their your lineup than them with Rammstein. Rammstein's last two albums I have hated. Aesthetic Perfect and God Module I love... Combichrist's new album.. it's different.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been into anything Rammstein's done in years, probably since Sehnsucht. It seems like they've been milking the same goofy gimmick for the last 10 years.

GodMod's not playing the east coast shows...it's iVardensphere here. I actually like (most of) the new Combichrist disc but their live show has always left me cold. Too much meathead posturing. I'll be arriving just in time to see AP perform and then I'll retreat to the bar for CC's set.

[quote name='bmachine']GodMod's not playing the east coast shows...it's iVardensphere here. I actually like (most of) the new Combichrist disc but their live show has always left me cold. Too much meathead posturing. I'll be arriving just in time to see AP perform and then I'll retreat to the bar for CC's set.[/QUOTE]

Really? I saw Combichrist a few years back and it was ridiculous. Granted, it was Halloween and the last show of the tour, but they put on one of the better sets I've seen. Ended up utterly destroying all their equipment and set over the course of Blut Royale and just throwing it all into the crowd. And they were just the opener.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Saw Sufjan Stevens a few days ago. It was beautiful. All the new songs work incredibly well live.[/QUOTE]

Saw him in Atlanta last night. I don't know. The show kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I enjoyed most (not all) of the new stuff, and the staging was often very amusing. But there was way too much banter, and most of it was mentally unstable rambling about psychic magma and the apocalypse and his self-proclaimed bold new direction and on and on. Some of it was obviously tongue-in-cheek, but the general impression we got was that the man has gotten a little drunk on his own Kool-Aid.

I'm not one of those assholes who only wants to hear the hits and stubbornly bellows for them as if there wasn't a setlist for a show this size, but his insistence on ONLY playing through the new album, uninterrupted, is kind of disrespectful to audiences who are barely acquainted with it and bought tickets under the assumption that he'd mix in a FEW songs from his existing body of work. At one point, he said flat-out "You've probably realized by now that I'm not going to be playing any of the stuff you know. But this is all about workshopping my new creative process, which we're really looking forward to!" Well wonderful. The couple we went with paid $150 per ticket and were less than thrilled that they did so to watch Sufjan work through his creative demons onstage. He did come back at the end and play four or five tracks off Illinois, almost as a mea culpa. But it felt like a token gesture. It only highlighted the fact that we'd spent the majority of the show captive to his self-indulgence.

This was not my first time seeing him live, incidentally. I realize the guy almost had a nervous breakdown trying to follow up what most folks consider the album of the decade and thus is trying to leave a lot of that stuff behind. But cut your audience some slack.

bread's done
Back