What will happen to Obama's uncle?

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
As most of you know, Obama's uncle is being detained as an illegal immigrant.

This is a great opportunity to place bets on what might happen to him; since he is the POTUS' uncle, after all.

My take: He'll be granted Asylum for similar reasons Obama's aunt was; that their lives would be in danger in Kenya because of who their nephew is.

Some people spend thousands of dollars for decades to be here legally and some win the lottery. Such is life.

really? Who cares? bet you the white house will do everything in their power to twist the laws to make him stay.

Watch Obama let the guy get deported or whatever.

Right wingers would then be like, what kind of dick lets their uncle gets deported?

[quote name='thrustbucket']As most of you know, Obama's uncle is being detained as an illegal immigrant.

This is a great opportunity to place bets on what might happen to him; since he is the POTUS' uncle, after all.

My take: He'll be granted Asylum for similar reasons Obama's aunt was; that their lives would be in danger in Kenya because of who their nephew is.

Some people spend thousands of dollars for decades to be here legally and some win the lottery. Such is life.[/QUOTE]
See, this is what people were talking about when refering to epiphany in that thread about your wife and your lack of it. Instead of having solidarity with immigrants in general regardless of the proclivity to alcohol, you double down on the rhetoric that "illegals are criminals cause Uncle Obama blah blah blah" and "we don't let the right ones in."

[quote name='ITDEFX']really? Who cares? bet you the white house will do everything in their power to twist the laws to make him stay.[/QUOTE]
The laws and guidelines regarding asylum already exist. There is no need to twist anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Msut77']Watch Obama let the guy get deported or whatever.

Right wingers would then be like, what kind of dick lets their uncle gets deported?[/QUOTE]

Yup. It's a lose-lose situation for the man in the oval office. Unfortunately with politics, situations like this can be attacked by the opposite side no matter what the outcome is.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Some people spend thousands of dollars for decades to be here legally and some win the lottery. Such is life.[/QUOTE]

I'm all against illegal immigration, as it's quite a problem in my home town, but let's be honest here: it's way too fucking hard to get into this country. Yes, we know that you shouldn't come in here illegally just because you can't do it the right way, but the US should know by now that people are going to come in no matter what. We might as well make it a hell of a lot easier so we can at least keep tabs on the people coming in rather than letting them come in illegally anyway.

But that's an entire different argument. Personally, I say let her come in. You may not like Obama, but remember, he is still a person. He loves his family like the rest of us do.

Hey! We got one! All right!

What's that? thrustbucket isn't happy no matter what happens? Even if the system he decries when it effects him personally actually produces the result he wants?

Huh. Oh well.

[quote name='Clak']But thrust isn't bitter, no.[/QUOTE]

I am bitter, for sure.

But in this case if he were granted asylum I would actually agree, as the danger deporting him for who his nephew is is real.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I see a lot of checkpoint harassment from Latino DICE agents in his future.[/QUOTE]
Nah, not for this guy. The ACLU would be all over it for it's obvious racism.

[quote name='dohdough']See, this is what people were talking about when refering to epiphany in that thread about your wife and your lack of it. Instead of having solidarity with immigrants in general regardless of the proclivity to alcohol, you double down on the rhetoric that "illegals are criminals cause Uncle Obama blah blah blah" and "we don't let the right ones in."[/quote]

It seems that you are the one in need of an epiphany.
When you consciously omit the word "illegal" from "immigrant," it speaks volumes. It's nigh impossible to carry on a discussion with someone about a crime when they refuse to acknowledge a crime was committed or empathize with it.

Let's pretend you came home to find me lounging on your couch.
You: Who the fuck are you? Get the fuck out of my house or I'm calling the cops.
Me: C'mon, guy. I'm a nice guy. I am not hurting anything. I just wanted to come out of the rain.
You: That's it, I'm calling the cops - you fucking trespasser.
ME: What? Dude I even vacuumed your floor and cleaned your dildo collection. I'm not hurting anything, just relax. Trust me, I'm honest and nice. Just because you have a house and I don't, you think you can tell me I have to stay in the rain?!
You: I don't know anything about you. How do I know you aren't here to kill me, steal, or rape my kids.
Me: Oh you asshole. You are only saying that because of my skin color.

Getting it yet?

The laws and guidelines regarding asylum already exist. There is no need to twist anything.
Agreed

[quote name='mykevermin']Hey! We got one! All right!

What's that? thrustbucket isn't happy no matter what happens? Even if the system he decries when it effects him personally actually produces the result he wants?

Huh. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

It seems you misinterpreted the intention of this post.

I just thought it would be amusing to place bets on something like this. As I explained, I have no real issue if he's given asylum for that reason. But he still broke the law, ignored an prior deportation order, and there should be consequences for that, don't you think?

So let me get this straight, you agree he should be granted asylum, but you're bitter about it? I'm gonna need a little calrification.

I can see the objection here.

This guy is the living proof of what so many people are seriously concerned about when it comes to those who cross the border illegally. Guy is flipping drinking and driving (something I have no respect for anyone who does) and very nearly causes a wreck.

Legal immigrants have a hell of a time getting into this country and staying. Illegal immigrants have a hell of a time convincing common folk that they're not here to steal our stuff and eat our children.

Guys like this do the "immigration reform" cause NO good. Even more so when he starts name dropping to try to get out of trouble.

So, yeah, those who want to see the system reformed in a sensible way - immigrants and otherwise - are perfectly justified in being upset at this.

Didn't Obama have an aunt who was on the verge of getting deported a few years back, but managed to get a last minute reprieve?

[quote name='Clak']So let me get this straight, you agree he should be granted asylum, but you're bitter about it? I'm gonna need a little calrification.[/QUOTE]

No no.
I'm bitter about immigration in general for reasons well known. Obama's uncle, who apparently was suppose to be deported years ago, is just kind of fun to watch. I'm not that bitter about him getting asylum, because someone would likely kidnap him if he were deported. He's just a lucky bastard.

[quote name='spmahn']Didn't Obama have an aunt who was on the verge of getting deported a few years back, but managed to get a last minute reprieve?[/QUOTE]

Yes she was granted asylum because it was deemed her life would be in danger if she were deported.

Wow - these two are getting special treatment because of their family?

Does that make them privileged members of that "lucky sperm club" everyone's talking about?

Hm. Interesting question.

It'd probably have more merit if there wasn't just a whole topic on Warren Buffett a few days ago.

But, to answer your question, I did a Google search for "lucky sperm club". Looks like that link is on the first page.

If I had left this up to the Google Gods, I probably would have went with this quote, as it's so much more filled with venom and spite (and is a whole seven results higher than the link I gave above):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/bush-and-sulzberger-the-l_b_9422.html

The Lucky Sperm Club. A select (albeit unofficial) club populated by powerful men who owe their exalted status in life not to talent, intelligence, creativity, or hard work but to winning the sperm lotto by having the great good fortune to be born into a powerful family.

[quote name='UncleBob']Hm. Interesting question.

It'd probably have more merit if there wasn't just a whole topic on Warren Buffett a few days ago.

But, to answer your question, I did a Google search for "lucky sperm club". Looks like that link is on the first page.

If I had left this up to the Google Gods, I probably would have went with this quote, as it's so much more filled with venom and spite (and is a whole seven results higher than the link I gave above):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/bush-and-sulzberger-the-l_b_9422.html[/QUOTE]

...?

Are you referring to the debt ceiling topic? I didn't see that Forbes article linked in there. Or was it perhaps another topic?

Serious question.

Yeah, it was that thread. No, the Forbes article wasn't linked in the thread. If you follow some of the links in the thread, you'll run across it though - that's how I initially did.

Walter Sobchak: Were you listening to The Dude's story, Donny?
The Dude: Walter...
Donny: What?
Walter Sobchak: Were you listening to The Dude's story?
Donny: I was bowling.
Walter Sobchak: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...
The Dude: (interrupting) Walter, Walter, what's the point, man?
Walter Sobchak: There's no reason - here's my point, dude, there's no fucking reason why these two...
Donny: Yeah, Walter, what's your point?

[quote name='UncleBob']I can see the objection here.

This guy is the living proof of what so many people are seriously concerned about when it comes to those who cross the border illegally. Guy is flipping drinking and driving (something I have no respect for anyone who does) and very nearly causes a wreck.[/QUOTE]

Gee I never heard you go after Dubya and Cheney like that. I had no idea you had no respect for those two jokers (being that they are drunk drivers and assuming you are ideologically consistent)

[quote name='camoor']Gee I never heard you go after Dubya and Cheney like that. I had no idea you had no respect for those two jokers (being that they are drunk drivers and assuming you are ideologically consistent)[/QUOTE]

If there was a topic about Bush & Cheney's drunken escapades, it would have been before my time.
I tell you what, go back, find that topic for me and I'll post in it my disgust with idiots who drive drunk.

[quote name='UncleBob']If there was a topic about Bush & Cheney's drunken escapades, it would have been before my time.
I tell you what, go back, find that topic for me and I'll post in it my disgust with idiots who drive drunk.[/QUOTE]

Is your disgust for Bush and Cheney as one-dimensional as it is with Obama's uncle?

See how fun it is when we sum up the entire worth of a man by one stupid decision. Got you in a corner, jacko (I think the retreat to "I'm an independent anyway" is coming up...)

I've made it clear to anyone who actually cares to read my posts (instead of assuming they know me) that I am *no* fan of Bush. For what it's worth, I'm less of a fan of Cheney, but he just doesn't come up in conversation as often (because, as we all know, everything is Bush's fault).

I'd hardly sum up Bush and Cheney based off of one stupid decision. They made plenty of them, so why limit it to one?

[quote name='camoor']Is your disgust for Bush and Cheney as one-dimensional as it is with Obama's uncle?

See how fun it is when we sum up the entire worth of a man by one stupid decision. Got you in a corner, jacko (I think the retreat to "I'm an independent anyway" is coming up...)[/QUOTE]

Coming from the guy who just posted a link detailing someones stupid decision to drive drunk 50 years ago.

(I think the retreat to "thats not the only reason I dislike Cheney anyway" is coming up....)

[quote name='Knoell']Coming from the guy who just posted a link detailing someones stupid decision to drive drunk 50 years ago.

(I think the retreat to "thats not the only reason I dislike Cheney anyway" is coming up....)[/QUOTE]

I would never judge anyone based on one stupid mistake (let's exclude truly heinous, deliberate, and dowright evil criminals like serial killers - if you do that shit I think you should fry)

UB said something stupid. He said that Obama's relative is a drunk driver and UB has no respect for drunk drivers. To put it mildly I don't think too highly of drunk driving myself, but that one action does not define a man.

Because you're Knoell I'll try to dumb it down for you: I was saying the exact opposite. I was saying that Cheney drove drunk but almost noone thinks that that action defines his life, in fact it probably ranks pretty low on the list of reasons why people dislike him. So why is it fair to depict Obama's family members in this childish manner?

My opinion on Cheney has no bearing in this thread, it's not even tangentially related. If you want to compare perspectives of Cheney then take it to the other thread, don't contaminate this discussion.

[quote name='camoor']UB said something stupid. He said that Obama's relative is a drunk driver and UB has no respect for drunk drivers. To put it mildly I don't think too highly of drunk driving myself, but that one action does not define a man.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that a single action defines an individual and never said anything of the like.

My opinion on Cheney has no bearing in this thread, it's not even tangentially related.
Weird... why'd you bother to bring him up in the first place?

[quote name='UncleBob']I can see the objection here.

This guy is the living proof of what so many people are seriously concerned about when it comes to those who cross the border illegally. Guy is flipping drinking and driving (something I have no respect for anyone who does) and very nearly causes a wreck.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='UncleBob']I do not believe that a single action defines an individual and never said anything of the like.[/QUOTE]

I see you took pains to depict Onyango Obama as a rounded individual. To whit:

Onyango Obama, who is from Kenya and is known as the president’s Uncle Omar on his father’s side, had lived a quiet life in Massachusetts until last Wednesday, when police said the car he was driving darted in front of a police cruiser, nearly causing the officer to hit his car.
Obama kept to himself in a modest house in Framingham. He worked in a small liquor store on Route 126 where locals stop in for a six-pack of beer, a bottle of wine, or scratch tickets.
“He was a great worker,’’ said Parimal Patel, the owner of Conti Liquors, where Obama worked for the past five years. “We’re in total shock. I wish I had known, I would have asked him to call the president and have him come down for some publicity.’’

http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-...o-immigration-status-boston-immigration-judge

A quiet and hard worker who made one bad decision that we know of in 19 years is (in your words mind you) "living proof of what so many people are seriously concerned about when it comes to those who cross the border illegally"? Give me a break.

[quote name='UncleBob']One?[/QUOTE]

Please link me to any source detailing why he is "living proof of what so many people are seriously concerned about when it comes to those who cross the border illegally"

This should be entertaining.

I suppose "seriously" could be debated, but look up any anti-immigration fluff and you'll see all kinds of claims about how these immigrants are gonna come in, break our laws and make our lives hell.

And, again, One?

[quote name='UncleBob']I suppose "seriously" could be debated, but look up any anti-immigration fluff and you'll see all kinds of claims about how these immigrants are gonna come in, break our laws and make our lives hell.

And, again, One?[/QUOTE]

We're talking about what you said, we're talking about your anti-immigration fluff.

You keep asking "one" I keep asking "what else did he do" and you keep stalling. Enough is enough, I'm calling your bluff, let's see what you got.

[quote name='camoor']We're talking about what you said, we're talking about your anti-immigration fluff.[/quote]

That would work, if I had said...
[quote name='NOT UncleBob']
This guy is the living proof of what I am seriously concerned about when it comes to those who cross the border illegally.[/quote]

Read what I post, not what you think want to think I posted.

You keep asking "one" I keep asking "what else did he do" and you keep stalling. Enough is enough, I'm calling your bluff, let's see what you got.

Actually, you never have. You keep asserting the "one" when, nothing virtually nothing about the guy aside from what's posted in this thread, I can count at least five things he's done wrong. One of them is pretty forgivable - he broke the law and entered this country illegally. The next one, again, is pretty forgivable - he broke the law and took employment, illegally, in this country. One of them isn't horribly bad, but not admirable by any meaning of the word - getting overly intoxicated. Social drinking is okay, but you've got to know your limits. Then, of course, after getting overly intoxicated, he made the decision to drive and nearly caused an accident in the process. Finally, instead of doing the honorable thing and admitting he was wrong and attempting to fix the situation, he name drops his family member to try to get him out of trouble. If I were Obama, I'd be pretty pissed he put me in that situation.

Your first one is wrong and that's the problem with the way people frame "illegal immigration" when a good portion, well over a third, are visa overstays. Which happens to be the exact opposite of "entering illegally."

[quote name='dohdough']Your first one is wrong and that's the problem with the way people frame "illegal immigration" when a good portion, well over a third, are visa overstays. Which happens to be the exact opposite of "entering illegally."[/QUOTE]

His "legal entry" into the country was dependent upon him agreeing to leave when his time was up. Failing to do so makes the initial agreement invalid.

I can't make a deal with you to give me $50 in exchange for $100 later, then, refuse to give you $100 and say I got the $50 legitimately because you agreed to it.

But, if you insist, that first one can easily be changed to "One of them is pretty forgivable - he broke the law and extended his stay in this country illegally."

Better?

[quote name='UncleBob']Actually, you never have. You keep asserting the "one" when, nothing virtually nothing about the guy aside from what's posted in this thread, I can count at least five things he's done wrong. One of them is pretty forgivable - he broke the law and entered this country illegally. The next one, again, is pretty forgivable - he broke the law and took employment, illegally, in this country. One of them isn't horribly bad, but not admirable by any meaning of the word - getting overly intoxicated. Social drinking is okay, but you've got to know your limits. Then, of course, after getting overly intoxicated, he made the decision to drive and nearly caused an accident in the process. Finally, instead of doing the honorable thing and admitting he was wrong and attempting to fix the situation, he name drops his family member to try to get him out of trouble. If I were Obama, I'd be pretty pissed he put me in that situation.[/QUOTE]

Pure comedy. This is gold! :rofl: Rumblebear take notes - this is how you troll!

Oh and of course you'd be pissed. You're one of the most completely selfish assholes I've ever conversed with, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd feel anger towards any relative that inconvenienced you.

[quote name='UncleBob']His "legal entry" into the country was dependent upon him agreeing to leave when his time was up. Failing to do so makes the initial agreement invalid.[/quote]
Not really. If you really want to push the technicality of legal/illegal, then the time he spent in the US, that were specified and/or conditional for renewal/extentions, is still in the realm of being perfectly legal. The fact that he was told that his legal residency status was not going to be renewed after 30 years is problematic in itself for many reasons.

I can't make a deal with you to give me $50 in exchange for $100 later, then, refuse to give you $100 and say I got the $50 legitimately because you agreed to it.
It's not this simple.

But, if you insist, that first one can easily be changed to "One of them is pretty forgivable - he broke the law and extended his stay in this country illegally."

Better?
A little better.

[quote name='camoor']Oh and of course you'd be pissed. You're one of the most completely selfish assholes I've ever conversed with, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd feel anger towards any relative that inconvenienced you.[/QUOTE]

"inconvenienced" me? If I were in Obama's position and family members were practically publically bragging about how they use my position to get special treatment within the justice system, I suppose you could put that in the category of "inconvenience".

Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you talking about? The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

[quote name='UncleBob']"inconvenienced" me? If I were in Obama's position and family members were practically publically bragging about how they use my position to get special treatment within the justice system, I suppose you could put that in the category of "inconvenience".[/QUOTE]

He bragged - I must have missed that but it's an interesting wrinkle. Could you just go ahead and link me to that article? (assuming it exists)

And let's see, one guy is probably going to win the next election for US President. The other will be deported to some shithole of a country. Yeah I'd say that from Obama's perspective this qualifies as an inconvienience.

Go back to the very article you linked to.
As he was being booked on the charges, police said Obama could make a phone call. He answered, “I think I’d like to call the White House,’’ according to the Framingham police report.

I'd be willing to say the odds of this man getting deported are pretty small.

bread's done
Back