What would you do in this situation? (work releated)

rodeojones903

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
Recently a friend of mine who works with me at Best Buy as fired. We were told by management and LP to follow a guy trying to steal some CDs, and like we were told every now and then would ask if he needed some help. My friend went up to him to ask if he needed assistance and when he got about 10 feet from the guy he was charged. The guy trying to seal the stuff dropped the CDs, ran at my friend, and threw a punch at him. My friend dodged it, but then as a reaction laid the guy out. He gave the guy two quick punches to the face and dropped him. Then LP got between them, and the would be thief ended up just leaving afterwards.

My friend was then fired for defending himself. The managers all told him he should have just stood there and took the hits until LP would have pulled him away. This sounds ridiculous to me. So you are just supposed to allow someone to hit you if you are on the clock? He has called the HR department about the situation, but not much has come from it.

What would you do in that same situation? Would you or should you be required to just take a beating?

It's normal, as an employee he can't stop the thief. Even the LPs can't stop a man from running out of a store physically. That's stupid, buy yeah...

I got fired working at Carls Jr, A guy asks for a cup for water and i give it to him, he goes over to the soda machine and gets himself some orange soda...when there is a dispenser for water on the counter where im at on the register. I tell him, "Please dont do that, there is water on the counter and if you want a small soda its only a Dollar O Seven..."....the guy looks at me all nasty and gets some more orange soda...takes a big sip, walks over to me.......and spits it all in my face,....At first i dont react because im shocked that this guy has the fucken balls to do this shit....then he throws the rest of the cup Ice and all at my face. I leap over the counter and grab him by his shirt and throw him into the soda dispener, smashing his face on the Ice bar and dousing him with all flavors of soda....He slips away spits in my face again runs off...never to be seen again.

So...thats my answer.

Id beat his ass

[quote name='N1c0_ds']It's normal, as an employee he can't stop the thief. Even the LPs can't stop a man from running out of a store physically. That's stupid, buy yeah...[/QUOTE]

Sure, but this is a different situation. He was not trying to stop the guy physically from doing anything. The whole thing was caught on the security cameras and it clearly shows the other guy rushing at my friend when he was a good 10-12 feet away and then taking the first swing. He did not even say a word to the guy, let alone stop him from doing anything.

If he was attacked, i can't see him being fired for defending himself. I'd try and get this on any website that will publish the story. Let employees know they'd better not defend themselves if they want to keep their jobs.:roll:

I'd sue them for wrongful termination. I hate that we live in a litigious society but this is just one of those warranted situations.

It sucks, but since he was on the job, the store faces all sorts of liability issues if the guy attempts to press charges. That's why he was let go - it's more of a "saving face" than anything else. If they'd have kept him on, it only would've made the guy angry and bitter, resulting in the inevitable bad press and potential lawsuit. The guy never made contact, and there's probably a whole "excessive force" thing in there somewhere as far as defending himself.

When you're on the job, normal rules don't apply. Sucks, but it's true.

[quote name='joe2187']I got fired working at Carls Jr, A guy asks for a cup for water and i give it to him, he goes over to the soda machine and gets himself some orange soda...when there is a dispenser for water on the counter where im at on the register. I tell him, "Please dont do that, there is water on the counter and if you want a small soda its only a Dollar O Seven..."....the guy looks at me all nasty and gets some more orange soda...takes a big sip, walks over to me.......and spits it all in my face,....At first i dont react because im shocked that this guy has the fucken balls to do this shit....then he throws the rest of the cup Ice and all at my face. I leap over the counter and grab him by his shirt and throw him into the soda dispener, smashing his face on the Ice bar and dousing him with all flavors of soda....He slips away spits in my face again runs off...never to be seen again.

So...thats my answer.[/QUOTE]

I sincerely hope as you smashed his face on the Ice bar you're asking, "You...want...some...FRIES...with...that?!" :D

Yeah, OP, your friend got shafted. It's unreasonable not to expect someone wouldn't defend themselves when faced with physical harm. Now if your friend UNREASONABLY kicked the living shit outta the guy it's a different story, but a few punches back seem reasonable.

[quote name='joe2187']I leap over the counter and grab him by his shirt and throw him into the soda dispener, smashing his face on the Ice bar and dousing him with all flavors of soda[/QUOTE]

fucking gold, man.

[quote name='JJSP']It sucks, but since he was on the job, the store faces all sorts of liability issues if the guy attempts to press charges. That's why he was let go - it's more of a "saving face" than anything else. If they'd have kept him on, it only would've made the guy angry and bitter, resulting in the inevitable bad press and potential lawsuit. The guy never made contact, and there's probably a whole "excessive force" thing in there somewhere as far as defending himself.

When you're on the job, normal rules don't apply. Sucks, but it's true.[/quote]

0. The OP's coworker needs to call a lawyer. The employer put the coworker in danger. Unless the coworker was instructed on how to handle a physical assault on his person at work, there isn't a correct response.

1. The attacking customer was shoplifting. Judges reserve chuckles for civil lawsuits like this. A smart shoplifter would have ran out of the store after dropping the CDs.

2. You can defend yourself when properly threatened. A person charges at me and takes a swing, I'm properly threatened. Stabbing, shooting or breaking some bones on the guy would have been "excessive force".

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']1. The attacking customer was shoplifting. Judges reserve chuckles for civil lawsuits like this. A smart shoplifter would have ran out of the store after dropping the CDs.

2. You can defend yourself when properly threatened. A person charges at me and takes a swing, I'm properly threatened. Stabbing, shooting or breaking some bones on the guy would have been "excessive force".[/quote]

Both of those don't fly in California. It's not shoplifting till you left the stores premises. You cannot physically do anything to another person unless they threaten your life or hit you/stab you first. Even pulling a gun on a person charging with a knife is no-go.

Gotta check state laws.

Why the hell is LP asking you and your friend to watch this guy carefully? That's LP's job and they are the one's with the camera's recording everything. You weren't hired to protect the store. LP should have been closer to that guy than you. Honestly your friend should have let the guy hit him and wait for LP to arrive to take him out. Then your friend could have claimed workers comp, a few days off, paid medical, heck even probably gotten some hush hush money to keep him from suing best buy for not providing a safe work environment.

Your friend does have the right to claim medical expenses for any injuries he sustained during the incident.

You technically couldnt even take a photo since you dont have his permission. The best politically correct way to act would have been to not exist. America is stupid.

And the other story is pure gold, lol!

The store security camera footage will come in handy with any internal reviews or legal actions regarding the incident. That is, of course, assuming it hasn't already been "lost."

[quote name='ITDEFX']Honestly your friend should have let the guy hit him and wait for LP to arrive to take him out. Then your friend could have claimed workers comp, a few days off, paid medical, heck even probably gotten some hush hush money to keep him from suing best buy for not providing a safe work environment.

Your friend does have the right to claim medical expenses for any injuries he sustained during the incident.[/quote]

The point the OP was making is why should he take the attack?
Personally, I don't throw myself in danger just because the medical bills would be taken care of. A few days off nursing my injuries doesn't sound fun to me.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']0. The OP's coworker needs to call a lawyer. The employer put the coworker in danger. Unless the coworker was instructed on how to handle a physical assault on his person at work, there isn't a correct response.

1. The attacking customer was shoplifting. Judges reserve chuckles for civil lawsuits like this. A smart shoplifter would have ran out of the store after dropping the CDs.

2. You can defend yourself when properly threatened. A person charges at me and takes a swing, I'm properly threatened. Stabbing, shooting or breaking some bones on the guy would have been "excessive force".[/QUOTE]

this is the best reposnse given here. I worked both retail and industrial loss prevention for about 5 years. I would have done the same thing. from your description your friend used equal force which is a legally acceptable means of self defense.

he needs to hire a lawyer. though it may not be cost effective.

Id imagine firing him was a knee-jerk reaction by branch managment. im suprised they did not suspend him for a few days in order to contact their legal department.

where is this store located?

[quote name='Magehart']Both of those don't fly in California. It's not shoplifting till you left the stores premises. You cannot physically do anything to another person unless they threaten your life or hit you/stab you first. Even pulling a gun on a person charging with a knife is no-go.

Gotta check state laws.[/QUOTE]

you are incorrect.
a person charging at you with a knife shows, capability, opportunity, and intent to use deadly force.
those are exactly the requirements in which one would be within their rights to match the level of force, such as, "pull a gun"

[quote name='Magehart']Both of those don't fly in California. It's not shoplifting till you left the stores premises. [/quote]

Wisconsin is the same. You could stuff the entire store in your pants, coat, bag, whatever and you can't do jack til they walk out the door.

Yet another reason I'm thankfull I'll never work retail again.

bread's done
Back