Whatcha all think of this laptop?

I'm a little out of the loop on mobile chipsets, but I think the graphics card that comes in that one is midrange, meaning you likely won't get killer game performance, but it will probably perform ok since the screen res is only 1366 x 768.

Also, looks like it has a glossy screen, which can be terribly glaring in anything but low light situations.

Well far as gaming goes its got the mobility ATI 5730 card in it which is not the same line as desktop 5xxx series cards but it should run just about every 2009 game just fine.

Has plenty of ram and 64bit OS so it can access the entire amount.

Cpu is fine. granted its technically a 1.6 and is ratched up to 2.8 by turboboost.

Only downside would be the hard drive as Im sure its not very speedy. But then again not many laptop stock hard drives are put in for speed, they are put in to be cheap as possible.

You should be fine to play most pc games on it really with no problems.

My rule of thumb though when buying a notebook is figure out what you want and then bump it up a notch or two. Dont forget, buying a laptop is like buying a snapshot in time. Your stuck with everything in it. Sure you can add little more ram, get a different hard drive but thats about it. You can get a bigger screen, your video card wont come out, your cpu isnt upgradeable and so on. Spending a little more now can add another year to its life before you start wanting a new one because yours cant keep up. If your going to drop a grand on something another 100-200 bucks is worth it to add a longer lifespan to it.

It's decent. You can run the latest games of last year and this year on it with no problem.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I'm a little out of the loop on mobile chipsets, but I think the graphics card that comes in that one is midrange, meaning you likely won't get killer game performance, but it will probably perform ok since the screen res is only 1366 x 768.

Also, looks like it has a glossy screen, which can be terribly glaring in anything but low light situations.[/QUOTE]
It was hard finding benches on the 5370 but it outperforms the 5650 which does really well on most games high/mid. It should be fine as long as he doesn't expect Crysis or Far Cry 2 on ultra.

Thanks guys, definitely helping me in my choices. The glare is something that is consistently being brought up in reviews. Ive got it wish listed on amazon, definitely a machine to compare with others pretty highly. I agree that spending a bit more and getting something that will continue to give good performance over time is worth it. I havent bought a pc in almost 4 years, but after looking around a while, this machine seems to encapsule a lot of what im looking for!

You should be fine, my machine is having no problem playing the latest games and this rig your looking at is far better in every category than what I have.

Well a little over two months now ive researched/studied what would be a really good buy for my needs, and it brings me back to this very laptop. Most likely i will own it within the next month, gonna get some more amazon reward points and go fer it! Thanks again for the replies...

I have an ASUS G51 laptop I got from Best Buy last year for $999.99 and while my CPU is inferior my GPU is better but it's not DX11 capable. Most games should run fine regardless but if you plan to play say Bad Company 2 on medium or high, you might want to check if there's a video card that's a bit better. The requirements are pretty much only going to go forward but for all the games released thus far you'll be fine.

EDIT: Actually check this out too: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729

It's a version of the G73 ASUS model sold by Best Buy and has the 5870 DX11 card. It's only $100 more expensive than the one you posted but future proof for a good while as well.

Well guys i ordered the laptop in this thread and have it arriving today! Thanks for the insight and all the greatness this forum brings!

bread's done
Back