Whats a good free MMORPG?

Dragon_Master

CAGiversary!
I was wanting to start playing a MMORPG but I dont want to pay a monthly fee. I was wondering which free MMORPG was the best one out there right now. currently the two that I am looking at are

Rune Scape

2Moons

I plan on playing on a laptop and I would like one that wouldnt have a ton of lag. I dont care about the graphics to much I just want a fun MMORPG to play. If you guys have any ideas are suggestions I am all ears. Also has any one heard anything about Elf Online? I cant seem to find any reviews of it.

I played dofus for over a year, paid for it to have full access and ordered the art book. It was a blast to play, just ran out of spare time at college. Its turn-based fighting so its a little slower paced, but i loved the style of it. I would highly recommend it.

It started in France so thats the reason for the large french following, but even when i played in the beta and when it when to full retail, I never had a problem talking to people.

There's maplestory.
http://maplestory.nexon.net/

It's a 2d anime action rpg. My only gripes about it is it is a grind fest, might take a while to get used to the hit detection, and most of the community isn't what you call mature. Takes months perhaps year or so to hit 200, so you can treat it like an endless mmorpg. It's free and little things like avatar items cost real money.

atm, they're updating with a patch. I believe it doesn't take up too many resources, and you really don't need the mouse, except for selecting npcs.

You'll either love it or hate it.

On a side note: I'm trying to quit MS and mmorpgs in general. They suck up way too much time. I should start looking for games I can pick up and go, I guess.

[quote name='strongyboi']the best free mmorpg is probably gonna be silk road online[/QUOTE]
second

I also enjoyed Two World on Xbox 360

I've tried quite a few free mmo's and I have to disagree with silk road, i found it very boring and just plain horrible.

If anything I would recommend Runescape and Guild Wars. Both are great games, but Guild Wars is just fantastic.

As for Maple Story, I have to agree and say the players are very childish and can potentially make the game very irritating and unplayable. I played for about 30 levels and hated every moment.

If money is an issue I would suggest Guild Wars as it really offers more bang for your buck. Even though Runescape is free, if you get really into you you will eventually want to go member, which I believe is 5 dollars a month. Still I'd recommend Guild wars.

If your looking for a great MMO and money is not really an issue then go for World of Warcraft. Love the game, better than any free MMO.

This whole post is my opinion please don't flame :( Just sharing my experiences.

Well, just tried out Urban Dead as suggested by the guys in the Off-topic forums.

It's basically a grid action point based browser mmorpg. It'd be good if you're into roleplaying and don't mind text based games. It's definitely not the kind of game to keep playing for hours on end, but the sort that you can play a little everyday. AP points which allow you to perform actions regenerate 1 every 30 min. Leveling at first may be hard, but reading all the writings in both the game and the wiki is definitely entertaining.

Urban Dead Site
Urban Dead Wiki (must see resource, enhances gameplay/roleplaying ten fold)
Urban Dead CAG Forum Topic

And I really would like to take back my recommendation of Maplestory. Like magusz said, you'll get annoyed because of the massive grinding and the sheer amount of little annoying kids that play it. There are a few mature people on that game, but they're usually veterans and high levels which you most likely rarely encounter. I'm quitting it as of today, never got far either, most was lvl 35.

[quote name='Dragon_Master']how well would Guild Wars play on a laptop?[/quote]

I have a laptop with build-in graphics...better yet, here's my specs:

1.6 GHz Core Cuo
2 GB Ram (533 MHz)
Intel 945GM Express graphics (224 MB shared)
Vista

I was able to play Guild Wars with low-medium settings, BUT, anytime the action got really heavy or i returned to a 'lobby' or whatever you call the spawning place, my framerate dropped to 9-14. So i would say anything faster than my processor and an actual graphics card in a laptop and he should be fine.

Running this game on XP will probably be better than running it on Vista. Vista likes to eat up ram and your graphics, at least in my experience it did. But for Guild Wars your laptop seems very capable of running it smoothly.

Required System Specs:
  • Windows XP/2000/ME/98
  • 800 MHz Pentium III or equivalent
  • 256 MB RAM
  • ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX with 32MB of video memory
  • 500 MB hard drive space
  • Internet connection
  • DirectX 8.0
Recommended System Specs:
  • Windows XP/2000/ME/98
  • Pentium III 1GHz or equivalent
  • 512 MB RAM
  • ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series with 64MB of video memory
  • 500 MB free hard drive space
  • Internet connection

well even if mine could my brothers laptop wouldnt be able to and he wanted to start playing to. So besides Guild Wars what would most likely be the best MMORPG to play my friends and have some fun with?

I was a huge fan of Dark Age of Camelot back in the day, so when i wanted a good free MMO after leaving WoW, i went and found a freeshard called Uthgard.

http://www.uthgard.the-bart.org/

It has a great dev team and community, and is classic DAoC without all that stuff that ruined the game. Plus, since its a previously developed MMO, it is a lot more polished than some of the independent offerings.

Just another option. If you go for it, let me know, my friar loves to help ;)

bread's done
Back