Whats a good gaming TV? Plus, whats all the standards?

Heyricochet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So I'm in the market for a tv with component inputs to update from my old one, and I'm somewhat lost as to what the hell everything exactly is. From what I understand, there are 3 sets of numbers. 48op, 720p which is progressive scan, and 1080i which is hdtv. I actually think I'm wrong with this but this is what I understand about it so far. So, deals and information on how all this stuff applies to my games looking sexy would be nice.

420p, 720p and 1080i are all HD signals. Most xbox games support 420p. Most sets will upconvert the signal. For instance my TV doesn't support 720p, but if I play an xbox game that supports 720p, the TV upconverts the image to 1080i. Basically, 720p and 1080i produce close to the same image (there's much debate on that though). A side note, the p stands for progressive and the i stands for interlaced. Most sets support 420p and 1080i, while other more expensive sets support all 3 standards.

I just bought this TV..

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXR2678WHX/XAA

It is the Samsung TX-R2678WH. It is a 26" TV and it's perfect for my room. It even has the built in tuner so I am getting all of my locals in HD (right now only big name programming is in HD though). I believe it supports all signals 480I, 480P, 720P, and 1080I. It retails for a pretty reasonable price of $649.99 but Circuit City had it for $584.99 but they were out so I PMed at Best Buy and got it. I had the Toshiba 26" Monitor (no tuner) and it was a piece of crap, it was cutting off the bottom of my videogames and the HDMI port was bad. I found out Toshiba doesn't even make their own tube tv's anymore, they have some generic company in Thailand making them.

So what standards is it that game consoles support? If its progressive scan and HDTV that means its best in 720P? and if its only HDTV then it can do both 720P and 1080I? And, will all tvs support 480p?

[quote name='Heyricochet']So I'm in the market for a tv with composite inputs to update from my old one, and I'm somewhat lost as to what the hell everything exactly is. From what I understand, there are 3 sets of numbers. 48op, 720p which is progressive scan, and 1080i which is hdtv. I actually think I'm wrong with this but this is what I understand about it so far. So, deals and information on how all this stuff applies to my games looking sexy would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Remember:

composite < s-video < component

[quote name='Spruce']Remember:

composite < s-video < component[/QUOTE]

Oops, misname. Meant to type component. That I actually know the difference for, I just always mix up my c's.

And I'm really looking for something ~27 inches, cause I have that now and I'm quite happy with the size, I just want something that'll make me crap my pants when I put in a progressive scan game for the first time.

And a friend of a friend of mine prefers 720p over 1080i for his cable, I'm assuming this is because of the higher refresh rate with progressive scan over interlaced. Anyone else agree or disagree? And is there anything that would support 1080i and not 720p?

[quote name='Heyricochet']Oops, misname. Meant to type component. That I actually know the difference for, I just always mix up my c's.

And I'm really looking for something ~27 inches, cause I have that now and I'm quite happy with the size, I just want something that'll make me crap my pants when I put in a progressive scan game for the first time.

And a friend of a friend of mine prefers 720p over 1080i for his cable, I'm assuming this is because of the higher refresh rate with progressive scan over interlaced. Anyone else agree or disagree? And is there anything that would support 1080i and not 720p?[/QUOTE]

I have a 55" projection lcd and a 23"lcd. To me 720p looks better on a big screen. My 23" has a converter set to pass through to pick up the native resolution of each station.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=LNR238WX/XAA

I don't think there are very many direct view tube tvs that will display a picture in 720p. I think that most convert to 1080i. The difference between 720p and 1080i shouldn't be that significant on a screen smaller than 30".

bread's done
Back