What's a good refrigerator brand to get and where to get it?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Well, I basically know from experience and reading reviews on the internet not to get either an LG or Samsung refrigerator, but then what's left to get? I did some research and the fridge that I thought was perfect for me, a Kenmore by the way, is actually produced by LG and even in the good reviews was notorious for having its ice maker, freezer, door hinges, and crisper malfunction or break. Also, and this is from personal experience, it takes fucking forever for parts to come in for an LG since they have to ship out from Korea and yadda yadda yadda:roll::roll::roll:....basically a long hectic stress-inducing headache that just isn't worth it.

I'm kind of specifically looking for one of those fridges that has the french/vertical doors on top with the freezer on the bottom, such as the one in the link.

http://www.lowestpriceappliance.com/image.php?type=T&id=17546

My last fridge, which I took from home (our old one), evidently lasted for 46 years and only recently went kaput. They just don't make them in America like that anymore.....

I have a GE that I bought at Lowe's just over 2 years ago and have had no problems. Although it's the standard freezer on top model, not the type you are looking at. Around here at least, Lowe's tends to have more choices in store to look at than Home Depot, but prices are usually about the same. Lowe's will occasionally send out coupons for $50 off $500 if you're on their mailing list. Home Depot on the other hand usually runs a 10% off all appliances about once a month.

Find out if your area has a scratch and dent outlet. You can get brand new appliances for 30%-50% off retail. There is usually only small cosmetic damage to the unit, but they can't sell them in their stores anymore. The stock usually rotates frequently so you might have to stop by a few times, but it is worth it. I've gotten plenty of deals from those places in the past.

SubZero and GE are good, I usually spec out SubZeros in high-end homes.

Also, refrigerator reviews? Can you imagine being the guy who writes those? I mean it can't be nearly as exciting as game reviews...

[quote name='ninju D']Find out if your area has a scratch and dent outlet. You can get brand new appliances for 30%-50% off retail. There is usually only small cosmetic damage to the unit, but they can't sell them in their stores anymore. The stock usually rotates frequently so you might have to stop by a few times, but it is worth it. I've gotten plenty of deals from those places in the past.[/quote]

See, I've been bitten by those scratch and dent outlets. I go strictly new for my fridges from now on, but I just am not sure what's a good brand/make/model anymore. It seems that everything is Chinese or Korean and I don't want that. Even the old brand models that have a good history don't seem to be what they are. For instance, who knew that there are a ton of Kenmores made by LG. Why would Kenmore sacrifice its good name in quality for their fridges to be made by LG, and then I also hear that Sears service isn't what it used to be. I'm really in a conundrum as to what fridge to get at the moment.

I bought my first fridge about 2 years ago and at that time, research indicated that Whirlpool models were good bets. I went with a Roper from Lowes because it's made by Whirlpool. Simple top-freezer model, no problems whatsoever. Good luck to you.

MjC

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']Just don't buy Maytag![/quote]

Agreed. Me and my friend both have Maytag refrigerators and the water dispenser frequently gets stuck or turns on automatically. :bomb:

Just an FYI, pretty much everything is made by Whirlpool.

From Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation
Whirlpool Corp consists of :
* Whirlpool
* Maytag
* KitchenAid
* Jenn-Air
* Amana
* Roper
* Acros
* Estate
* Inglis
* Bauknecht
* Brastemp
* Gladiator GarageWorks
* Admiral

And they also produce stuff for Kenmore and Ikea. So if you don't like Maytag etc. you may want to avoid most of those brands. Outside of Whirlpool you have GE and LG.

On the issue of where to get it, I would try Fry's, if you have one close to you. They usually have some good sales posted in their big Friday ads, but I have no idea what their regular prices are like.

[quote name='Deathmonkey']Just an FYI, pretty much everything is made by Whirlpool.

From Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation
Whirlpool Corp consists of :
* Whirlpool
* Maytag
* KitchenAid
* Jenn-Air
* Amana
* Roper
* Acros
* Estate
* Inglis
* Bauknecht
* Brastemp
* Gladiator GarageWorks
* Admiral

And they also produce stuff for Kenmore and Ikea. So if you don't like Maytag etc. you may want to avoid most of those brands. Outside of Whirlpool you have GE and LG.

On the issue of where to get it, I would try Fry's, if you have one close to you. They usually have some good sales posted in their big Friday ads, but I have no idea what their regular prices are like.[/quote]

Fry's seemed to only carry LG and Samsung.

Graystone, for the love of god please come back and answer this question. I will worship at your feet if you were to grace us with your presence and give out thy holy wisdom on the subject before us.

Our fridge in our garage has been alive for possibly 20 years with no problems. I believe it's a whirlpool (too lazy to go check). I don't see how someone can write a review without testing it long run.

I've had good luck GE fridges over the years. A lot of the Samsung and LG models look nice.....when it comes to fridge styling....but I hear they both have pretty poor long term reliability issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info because I'm in the market for a fridge also. I will probably pick one up from the local Sears Outlet which is the discount part of Sears that sells the models with the slight defects.

Get one with as few moving parts as possible.

Ice maker? Hell no. Water dispenser? Get a Brita.

The more shit that can break, the more problems you'll have when dealing with it.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Get one with as few moving parts as possible.

Ice maker? Hell no. Water dispenser? Get a Brita.

The more shit that can break, the more problems you'll have when dealing with it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I've heard numerous stories of an icemaker breaking and leaking water for days before it was noticed. Happened in my house before I bought it, which is why I had to shop for a fridge.

MjC

The last salesman I talked to at an appliance store, (locally owned place, been around in my hometown for decades) has been selling and servicing appliances for years. He says any maytags he sells, he always winds up with them back, due to a number of problems. He recommended I get a whirlpool, and even showed me the receipt book he uses for service and repairs (on out of warranty appliances). Parts were cheaper for the whirlpool, and there were tons less instances of whirlpool fridges being repaired by him.

Also, a mildly funny quote from the guy, when I asked about a GE Fridge... "Well, I think GE makes damn good light bulbs, and should stick to that."

I bought the whirlpool, that has been 9 years ago, I havent spent a penny on it since. Try Lowes, Home Depot, and locally owned appliance stores. If the local guys offer repairs on what they sell, see if they can let you peek at their service records, to see what brands they have to repair the most.

bread's done
Back