Whats a good soldering iron for electronics?

machoman_93

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Hi, I need a soldering iron for electronics. What is a good one that is priced under $100 preferably. Also, what do I need to solder? Thanks.

If you are going to solder, I hope you are going to take precautions. Wear safety googles and solder in a well ventilated area. Also, I recommend using a mask to reduce inhalation. Something that looks like this:
sars_mask.jpg

I have a few Weller brand soldering irons. In addition to the iron, you will need a solder station. Some models come with both iron and station. You would need solder (comes in coils). I also suggest a solder sucker. And a wet sponge to clean off the tip of the soldering iron.

Soldering Iron
3s5-100.gif

Soldering Station
Solderite%20Lead%20Free%20Soldering%20Station.jpg

Solder - The material you melt to well...solder stuff together.
oimg_GC00325462_CA00325466.jpg

Solder Sucker - Keeps the area clean of hardened solder.
istockphoto_550953_solder_sucker.jpg

Don't solder if you don't know how. Go hire someone who knows what there doing unless you like burning holes in your "electronics"

Go to radioshock if you want soldering gear.

avoid the coldheat soldering gun-it sucks! i'v had 3 of them (bought one, other 2 were gifts) and they do not work like they say. it all depends on what your doing, for fine electrical work, i use an iron. in my armoury, i use a gun to solder steel together were a clamp wont work so i can drill/rivet easier.

i want to do solder work on xbox and ps2 controllers. i hear weller makes the best soldering irons. what size tip would i need for such a job? or how many watts?

[quote name='Supernova']Don't solder if you don't know how. Go hire someone who knows what there doing unless you like burning holes in your "electronics"[/quote]

QFT.

I do a lot of soldering myself at home and at work. The best solder for electronics is 60/40 tin/lead solder. You need at the very least an iron/station solder and flux..i could name of tons of tools in addition depending on what you are doing (solder sucker, tip tinner, alcohol, camel hair brush, round jaw pliers, heat wick, wire strippers, etc)

this is my soldering station:

http://www.action-electronics.com/wewesd51.htm

[quote name='iamthekiller']i want to do solder work on xbox and ps2 controllers. i hear weller makes the best soldering irons. what size tip would i need for such a job? or how many watts?[/quote]

Chances are if you are asking these questions you shouldn't be soldering on those.

[quote name='georox']Chances are if you are asking these questions you shouldn't be soldering on those.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I plan on practicing on dead boards. I'm just wondering if anybody can speak from experience soldering those specific items.

bread's done
Back