What's a Good Video Card?

MrDubbs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I've been updating my computer over the years, replacing parts here and there.

Recently I upgraded to Vista 64 Bit for my OS, then upgraded to 4gb of Ram, but noticed that my video card needs to be upgraded. The new(er) drivers that NVidia has out cause me to have the blue screen of death. The resolution on the computer is like really tiny, or if I make it bigger gets really blurry now.

Anyway, I currently have the GeForce 7900 GT

The ATI HD 4850 seems like the card to have right now. It's only like $140 after rebates (sometimes less).

[quote name='MrDubbs']I've been updating my computer over the years, replacing parts here and there.

Recently I upgraded to Vista 64 Bit for my OS, then upgraded to 4gb of Ram, but noticed that my video card needs to be upgraded. The new(er) drivers that NVidia has out cause me to have the blue screen of death. The resolution on the computer is like really tiny, or if I make it bigger gets really blurry now.

Anyway, I currently have the GeForce 7900 GT[/QUOTE]

system restore gogo

if those problems are the only reason you want to upgrade, I would just focus on fixing those problems

[quote name='Oktoberfest']system restore gogo

if those problems are the only reason you want to upgrade, I would just focus on fixing those problems[/quote]

I rolled back the driver to a previous version, from 2007

So far so good. The resolution is also a big reason I want to upgrade as well.

I've also been thinking about getting a HD Monitor, so I might get a video card with HDMI

[quote name='MrDubbs']http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...words=ATI+HD+4850&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0

Whats the difference between all of these? Is the ATI HD 4850 just a processor type thing on the cards? or is there an actual card?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the main GPU unit is the 4850 chip... most of them are pretty much the same. Some might advertise a better cooler or be a bit faster or have more memory but usually it's not worth the extra price. The basic one from a good brand (Sapphire, PowerColor, ATI, ASUS, etc.) will work just fine.

Does the ram on a video card make a huge difference? I notice there's a Sapphire 512 mb for 30 bucks less after rebate then the same card with a GB

1GB gives you only a small increase (single digital percentage) of performance over the 512MB when running most games in resolution of 1920x1200 or above. I would not recommend getting the 1GB version because the performance does not justify the hike in price. Stick with the 512MB.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I rolled back the driver to a previous version, from 2007

So far so good. The resolution is also a big reason I want to upgrade as well.

I've also been thinking about getting a HD Monitor, so I might get a video card with HDMI[/QUOTE]

Any video card with a DVI interface supports hdmi. If your card has an hdmi port you can get hdmi with an adapter for a lot less. (Any card that says it has hdmi just has an adapter in the box)

Post your computer specs and most of all your power supply and it's wattage

the 4850 GTX 260/280 all require additional power pins

What is your price range? What resolution are you playing at? And what games are you gonna be playing?

THEN we can tell you what card to get

I got a GEForce 9600 GT for $60 after rebate not long ago. It seems to run the newest games just fine. Just keep your eye out for deals..

bread's done
Back