whats a good way to organize your games?

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
i've been working with ign to manage my games but i want a site where i can add my collection and they split it up in formats and give me all sorts of information. also i can add wishlists and printouts of games i want to buy or have in my collection. and i'm working on a mac operating system powerbook G4 if that means anything

i remeber there one being where you scan the barcode. What i don't like about rf tho is you have to upload your own images

Use Access, you can create set it up to pretty much make stats for anything. The problem is, learning Access is a bitch.

I use Gamespot's manager to keep track of my games. Not as robust as what you're looking for, but it's easy to use and not IGN.

I'd be worried about anyone who manages their game collection in Access.

If you're on a Mac, you may get a kick out of Delicous Library. It manages books, movies, and videogames, and hooks into Amazon's API in order to deliver *whatever* information they have on the item in question.... including cover artwork, platform, synopsis.

Pros:

-VERY easy to use
-Gives you a "virtual bookshelf" of your items
-Handles movies and books too
-+++use your webcam as a barcode scanner
-Gives cover images when available

Cons:
-Doesn't deal well with the vagaries of games.... for example, you can't make your PS1 longbox games look like longboxes, unless you intentionally mis-label them.
-Haven't found option for scanning/importing your own cover images.
-Gets information from Amazon, so expect it to work with N64, PS1, Dreamcast and forward. NES, SNES, Genesis..... not so much.
-sometimes mis-identifies games, system, cover, etc.

Honestly, it's a good way to quickly enter your collection into an organized format. I give it bonus points for easily also handling books and movies. I'm looking for something better though, something more game-centric which accounts for the peculiarities of being a game collector. Something like freedb for games, with support for cover artwork and ability to export to multiple formats like csv.

Personally, I like the 1UP personalized page that you can add all of your games to. It'll break it out by system and also give each game a value (which is a great way to get an idea of what's in your collection).

Does anyone here who uses the Sony game manager list get PS3 downloadable games in their list that they didn't add? Also when you delete them, they appear again after you sign back in.

IGN is the best in terms of just being able to easily customize it and set up your own lists for what you need. I wouldn't trust the values that IGN, GS, or 1up's lists give out, but everything else is well done.

bread's done
Back