What's a reasonable CAG price for a complete Skylanders set?

the_ENEMY_

CAGiversary!
I am thinking about making bids on ebay for Skylanders, since the hype is finally starting to die down.

according to some guy, there are 32 standard skylanders and 4 expansion sets that each have some items or something.

what would the entire collection cost if they were to be sold individually and brand new?

Is $150 reasonable to offer? is it probably too low to win an auction?

Is it true that you can just scan a skylander/expansion and keep them all forever without keeping the figure itself? do you even need the portal after you scan them all? if so I could just borrow them all from a friend and get the base game.

Video Game Deals - The best video game deals in the world are here.
DO NOT CREATE THREADS TO ASK A QUESTION. DO NOT POST YOUR OWN AFFILIATE LINKS. ONLY POST SPECIFIC VIDEO GAME DEALS!

Are you serious or just a tard? You've been here since 2010. You should know better, that and you should be able to read the red text. SMH...

Nice to see the forum has become quicker than ever to brandish their pitchforks and torches when someone makes a mistake. For all we know the OP may have simply goofed or have a learning disability of some kind.

"Looking for a deal or advice on a video game or gaming product? Post requests or deal-related questions and your fellow CAGs will come to your aid!"

so... where was the mistake by posting this here?

OK, you asked for it ;)

Yes, there are 32 characters. 4 of these only come in the expansion packs. The expansion packs also come with other items that can be used once per level (like healing potions or special attacks). The "set" pieces in the expansion packs unlock new levels within the game. These only need to be used once. If you complete the level, the new level remains in the game and you do not need the piece any more. These pieces can also be used for special attacks at other times, though (for example the pirate ship fires cannon balls at the enemies). But yes, if you just want to unlock the levels and have them in your game then you do not need the pieces after the initial playthrough of the expansion level.

However, you do need the characters. You can get them all in your "collection" screen without having to keep them. But you can't play with any characters that are not physically sitting on the portal (so, clearly, you cannot get rid of the portal either). You might be thinking of the 3DS game. On that one you can store 2 characters within the game so there's no need to carry a portal around with the 3DS. So if you want to limit your 3DS game to 2 characters you can get rid of the portal and figures and continue to play the game with just the 2 characters.

Getting back to the figures, there are the 4 in the expansion packs. Then most of the rest are in 3-packs. Then there are 3 that come with the starter pack.

So, retail is:

Starter Pack (game, portal, 3 figures): $70
4 x Expansion packs: $80 (assuming $20 each but note some places like Target and TRU sell them for $25)
8 3-packs: $160 (again, assuming $20 each)
1 single-pack (Wham-Shell is only sold separately): $10

So the total new retail value is $320.

You can get the starter packs on sale pretty regularly for $35-$40, so maybe that value should really be around $280-$290.

So I'd say $150 is definitely way too low to win an auction for all 32 characters, and especially if that means all the expansion pack pieces (let alone the game and the portal). But that's based on new condition. If they are used - well, I really have no idea. I've never looked at used prices for them.

Target sells the 3-packs for $20. Gamestop and Shopko sell them for $25 (as does TRU, which you already mentioned).

Most of the characters are easy to find now, but Wham-Shell still goes for two to three times retail. I'd say you have a shot around $225 - $250, but chances are someone will outbid you. If you even want to be considered, I'd say $250 before shipping.

bread's done
Back