Whats going on with my 360?

The 7th Number

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
So i was playing halo 3 today and during one game my video started to look all grainy. At first i was like shit, that better not be my tv. But it kept going in and out. But it only showed up during gameplay, or at the halo 3 menu. When i would open the guide blade while on the halo 3 menu, the only part that would be grainy was behind the blade on the halo 3 menu. Looks like something that my PC did when my graphics card was screwing up. Take a look, and has anyone else had this problem?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Looks like something that my PC did when my graphics card was screwing up. Take a look, and has anyone else had this problem?[/quote]

You answered your own question. The 360 is a PC that is prone to graphics cards heat issues.

[quote name='Scorch']It's dying. Start planning the funeral.[/quote]

:cry:

Well i guess on the plus side, i wasnt really looking forward to anything till GTA IV came out. Would you call right away, or wait for RROD to set in?

Yeah mine was like that and after a couple minutes I turned it off to reboot it and when I turned it back on and I had the E-74 Error Code

It could be dying, or it could just be a loose A/V connection. I have had two 360s that would do exactly what you are describing if the cable was a little out of place, usually after I moved the system. Check the connection and it should go away. If it doesn't. Well, you've got problems.

mine had the same issues as you described.
but after i turned it off and rebooted there's no picture or sound whatsoever.
the 360 still seems to work as i get logged into xbox live and the game discs inserted seem to load up. i get no red rings on the console.

is mine officially dead or can it be fixed?

i'm probably out of luck with the warranty too aren't i?

:cry:

I knew this would be what the thread was about.... something similar happened to me..i brought it back to best buy with my replacement plan.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Here is a new pic of my awesome 360!

I should be good as my 360 is only 1 year and 2 months old. Im going to call later today.[/quote]

That is crazy, everyday I learn of a new Xbox 360 problem.. one more thing to worry about.

Even if it does this like every other time or something like that I would still just go ahead and call today. Not wait until it's fully not functioning. Chances are it will completely die while you are awaiting your 360 coffin.

Good Luck...

I know this is my 2nd time it messed up now. Last time was about a year ago. Im starting to think maybe i should invest in a PS3 instead. Because once the 360 is last gen, im probably going to be out of luck when it comes to playing my old games once the 360 breaks again and they dont fix it anymore. But i love those damn achievements, gamercard, controller, and GTA IV DLC. :(

[quote name='Herbsnverbs']That is crazy, everyday I learn of a new Xbox 360 problem.. one more thing to worry about.[/quote]

Yeah it's amazing how there seems to be some new problem everyday.

This looks like the error I had, it eventually got to the point where it just spat out the red segment in the lower right, and said "E74", which is either a loose or bad A/V cable (trust me, it wasn't) or a failing video encoder chip. The towel trick brings back the system for about 30 minutes while in HD, about 3 hours in SD, then the particles come back and all goes to hell.

Would calling MS and saying it has a red ring truly have them fix it? Since it's not a red ring I'm not sure they'd check it or not. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to do the towel trick so my brother can play every once and a while on his SDTV. It's about all it's good for right now.

Your graphics card is going out, one way or another. My second 360 went out like this a couple months after R6 Vegas came out. One day these little red artifacts showed up across the screen within the game itself. Not the menus, only the game engine.

I figure it has something relating to heat because of that. A menu screen, of Vegas, any way, isn't very demanding. But the game engine heats the card up, and if the cooling system is failing, or failed - it'll kick it over to the artifacts nice and quick.

If you have the extended warranty, call them up and now and arrange a replacement. It'll be dead within a week, mine was within 30ish hours.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Here is a new pic of my awesome 360!

I should be good as my 360 is only 1 year and 2 months old. Im going to call later today.[/quote]

Oh Man!!! You are in the "Red Matrix!"

Tell Neo I said Hi... :bouncy:

My 360 has had this problem for 3 weeks. It won't fucking die! Even though I shouldn't feel guilty since it's microsoft, I don't know if I should just lie and say it has the RRoD.

instead of the Red Ring, now you guys have the red screen of death! lol. I feel lucky because the 360 i have has not RRoD on me yet, except when i plugged in the intercooler fan on it>

Mine took almost a year to throw a RRoD after the first time I got grainy video, but I only play 5-10 hours a week. So I assume if you play it more, or cause the heat to not dissipate as much (i.e. block the vents), it'll die quicker :)

i'm getting the same problem after the console heats up, both on CoD 4 and Rock Band. would an intercooler not fix the problem? or having overheated once, the graphics card is permanently fucked?

and my 360 died. however, it's giving me one blinking red light, which signifies hardware failure. when i spoke with customer service at 18004MYXBOX, i was informed the three year RRoD warranty doesn't cover a single blinking red light. when i asked what RRoD signifies and what my 360 was exhibiting signifies, both answers were "hardware failure." so wtf? why is my hardware failure not covered? anyone have any options so i don't have to pay $99.99 to have it repaired? anyone know how to coax a RRoD out of my 360?

should i just tell them i'm getting RRoD? because from what i've heard, nothing appears on screen with RRoD. with my hardware failure, i get a hardware failure message in many languages with a huge E 74 at the bottom.

any help would be appreciated.

bread's done
Back