What's in the PS Store (5/31/16): Neon Chrome, Oxenfree, Primal, There Came an Echo, Plague Inc, & More!

The game doesn't support Move unless I missed something, so the demo definitely wouldn't have it.
[quote name='mykevermin']What's the deluxe edition of Assassin's Creed II?[/QUOTE]
ACII plus both DLC chapters.

"beta." the game has been gold for weeks. :lol:

speaking of semantics, isn't the ACII DLC free? Or am I mistaken and thinking of the Brotherhood DLC?

No, it's $7 for the pack of both chapters.

I'd imagine that anything that pops up will be a part of an early update for the multiplayer, so it's still a beta.

You could say the same for any almost game that gets patched after release. "Beta" is just a lot more enticing than "pre-release multiplayer demo."

Just played the Trinity demo. I am really shocked that I enjoyed it so much considering I never heard of it before and it's developed by Omega Force who's never made a game I liked before. It really reminds me of Genji 2, but with more RPG elements. I absolutely loved Genji 2 (and 1, for that matter) so I'm probably going to buy this game.

Thanks for the PSOne article, and the same goes for the Killzone MP Beta, I think "we" get carried away with our cynicism at times. I have absolutely no doubt that Sony DOES in fact want our money and would love to simply upload the whole library to the PSN but a lot of what was said makes sense. I will say though it's kind of surprising they haven't nailed down the software emulator, but I guess over the years each developer had its own tricks and tactics for making the games play the way they did and there was probably not a standard way to implement everything.

I'm not crazy about the updates either, and even though the hour+ it took to get rolling in GT5 pushed me to Iamthecheapestgamer levels of frustration, I don't understand the grief towards the Killzone 3 MP Beta. For one, we're getting a sample of the game before release for FREE. And second, whether it be a stress test for the servers or the final step of the QA phase, I'll deal with an update on release day if it doesn't mean the servers are down and the game is broken for a week (anyone remember the hot mess that Socom was?).

Cliff notes: Buck up and deal with it, it is what it is and our gaming experience is improved in the end.

Well, that's terrible. Anyone know if it's the same 24-hour account locking deal that Final Fight had?

So far reviews have been pretty lukewarm. I'm a huge fan of the first but now I don't know about this one. The DRM certaintly doesn't help.

[quote name='mtxbass1']http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/01/31/psone-classics-where-we-all-stand/

Interesting "official" response on why some PSX games are not available in some regions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this (Frisky too) that was a very interesting read, and I'm shocked to see they don't have a very good emulator for their games considering they own the source code for all of the coding of the PS1, so that means even when they bought Connetix VGS back in the day they must have just sat on the emulator until they needed to use it here a few years ago.

Also interesting to note some of the emulation bugs they have to deal with, some games like Vib Ribbon will probably almost never get released since from what I've read the game is so tricky to emulate it might never come out.

[quote name='QiG']Thanks for the PSOne article, and the same goes for the Killzone MP Beta, I think "we" get carried away with our cynicism at times. I have absolutely no doubt that Sony DOES in fact want our money and would love to simply upload the whole library to the PSN but a lot of what was said makes sense. I will say though it's kind of surprising they haven't nailed down the software emulator, but I guess over the years each developer had its own tricks and tactics for making the games play the way they did and there was probably not a standard way to implement everything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah as I mentioned above, they've been sitting on the Connetix emu since they bought them out long ago, and didn't bother developing it any until they decided to release PS1 titles digitally in the last few years.

I find it more surprising that the PS1 chip in the PS3 plays disc based games, but that they use an emulator to play the virtual ones...

Also yeah depending on what the developers did with the games originally and used some oddball PS1 effect to get a game to do something, then it probably does cause issues. Nice to see Sony giving a crap about the old catalog since it's an untapped gold mine $_$ to them with their PS Platform strategy they announced last week.

==========

Thanks for the update Frisky,

Some thoughts, first off a BIG BOO or (fuck U to Capcom) on BCR2, I guess Capcom just doesn't want my money anymore, I honestly can't remember the last Capcom game I bought (which is a shock due to how much I've supported them in the past) but a required connection is a joke, $15 for the game as well, screw that. I guess they didn't like the big pile of money they made on BCR1 that they made to do something this stupid, but then again Inafune resigned and most of their talent left the company anyway, so they don't have much left nowadays now do they...fuck them for not including MM in MvC3 either....:bomb: /End Rant

Anyway, Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll was a really nice demo to play, not sure which demo they are releasing here (there were 2 in JPN, one for combat, one for interaction with town's citizens/shops/etc.) but even if you despise the Dynasty Warriors type games, I'd suggest giving it a try it suprised me with how nice it was. I might get the US demo just so I can understand what I was doing this time. :lol:

[quote name='mxpowar']Just played the Trinity demo. I am really shocked that I enjoyed it so much considering I never heard of it before and it's developed by Omega Force who's never made a game I liked before. It really reminds me of Genji 2, but with more RPG elements. I absolutely loved Genji 2 (and 1, for that matter) so I'm probably going to buy this game.[/QUOTE]

:lol: ;) I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I have been giving out praise to the game for a few weeks now (since I played the demo and knew that the US version was on the way, even though not promoted very much, shame on you Tecmo/Koei) I think it's a very worthy game a nice RPG'esque DW type affair.

And they have made one other really good game (in my personal opinion) Crimson Sea 2 on PS2 that wasn't a DW game.

[quote name='uncle5555']Thanks for posting this (Frisky too) that was a very interesting read, and I'm shocked to see they don't have a very good emulator for their games considering they own the source code for all of the coding of the PS1, so that means even when they bought Connetix VGS back in the day they must have just sat on the emulator until they needed to use it here a few years ago.

Also interesting to note some of the emulation bugs they have to deal with, some games like Vib Ribbon will probably almost never get released since from what I've read the game is so tricky to emulate it might never come out.

Yeah as I mentioned above, they've been sitting on the Connetix emu since they bought them out long ago, and didn't bother developing it any until they decided to release PS1 titles digitally in the last few years.

I find it more surprising that the PS1 chip in the PS3 plays disc based games, but that they use an emulator to play the virtual ones...

Also yeah depending on what the developers did with the games originally and used some oddball PS1 effect to get a game to do something, then it probably does cause issues. Nice to see Sony giving a crap about the old catalog since it's an untapped gold mine $_$ to them with their PS Platform strategy they announced last week. [/QUOTE]
It depends on what you mean by not a very good emulator because the software emulator in the PS3 can play about 98-99% of PS1 games just fine. I'd guess that when they're releasing them on the PS Store that they want them to be perfect for paying customers, so they fix any specific bugs in the emulator for those games.

There is no PS1 chip in the PS3, as it's a software emulator that plays disc and digital versions of the games that's been around since launch. I'm still waiting for them to allow in-game XMB for PS1/PS2 games, as you're still logged into PSN and can see pop-ups for people logging in and out, but you can't access any of that stuff.

Also, for anybody that pays attention to the OP, I've made some changes to add a new Upcoming Releases section that I will add games, demos, and whatever else that have a solid release date (month or exact date) for a quick reference guide of what to expect in the near future. I only added a few things that I knew where coming over the next few weeks, so feel free to post links to other announcements about upcoming releases that I should add to the list.

Interesting choice to put up the Mega Man PS1 imports. Is there anything about them that makes them worth getting?

I love Mega Man but it seems like they're NES games with some fancy menus and a lot of Japanese text that I can't read.

[quote name='johnnypark']Interesting choice to put up the Mega Man PS1 imports. Is there anything about them that makes them worth getting?[/QUOTE]

nope.

If Capcom were smart, they'd have put the Megaman Complete Works set as one bundle for $10 rather than space each release out and charge $6 for each game.

Danke schoen.

Most PC Engine games are ¥600 on the JPN store (and very few at ¥800, including, I think, Super Star Solider). I expect to see a flat $5.99 for each of these when they're released here.

You should hope they bring over the PCE Ghouls N' Ghosts. Man that is a good game.

I have to say I am honestly surprised at how many of you get excited about Demos. Every time we get a demo vs free games I see it as a big let down, but some of you get really excited over it. Mind if I ask why? I just see demos as a way of letting you know if a game is worth purchasing, so if anything it feels like something we should get regardless.

If it were demos in lieu of free games, perhaps.

If it's a demo a week early that doesn't impact the 'free' content we get biweekly anyway, I don't see it as something to grouse about.

[quote name='mykevermin']If it were demos in lieu of free games, perhaps.

If it's a demo a week early that doesn't impact the 'free' content we get biweekly anyway, I don't see it as something to grouse about.[/QUOTE]

O I am not saying it is something to complain about, just that I do not understand the excitement factor.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-exclusive-demos-for-killzone-3-and-yakuza-4/

Upcoming PS+ releases plus an interesting video with Double Fine about Stacking:
Hi everyone,

We’re excited to share that over the next two weeks, our subscribers will be receiving a download of a highly anticipated PlayStation Network game and demos for two upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusives. With that said, let’s jump into our two upcoming PlayStation Plus publishes.

Tim Schaffer and the brilliant minds over at Double Fine are releasing Stacking next Tuesday, and PlayStation Plus subscribers are getting a free download of the game the day it hits the PlayStation Store! Take control of Charlie Blackmore, a small matryoshka dolls, as you explore the diorama-like levels. Much like previous Double Fine games (Costume Quest & Psychonauts), expect some great humor and gameplay in this new adventure title.

Along with Stacking, PlayStation Plus subscribers are receiving exclusive demos to two upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusives. On February 8, we will be releasing a special PlayStation Plus update giving all PlayStation Plus subscribers exclusive access to a single player demo for Killzone 3. Killzone fans will get the first look at how the war between the ISA and Helghast has changed now that the fight has been moved to the Helghast’s homeland. The demo will be an Auto Download, so make sure you have the feature enabled (Check this post for more info on Automatic Downloads). On February 15, in our regular publish, we will be offering a demo for the upcoming sequel to SEGA’s Yakuza series, Yakuza 4. Fans of the series will get a taste of the criminal underbelly of Japan as four playable characters.
We are also offering a download of Let’s Golf, a golfing PlayStation minis title from Gameloft, a full game trial of ATV Pure, and several discounts on PSN games DLC, including new downloadable content for R.U.S.E. and Crash Bandicoot.

With the special publish coming up next Tuesday, be sure to check the full list below for all the items that are going up and being taken down for the PlayStation Plus publishes:

PlayStation Plus Highlights for 2/8:

Automatic Download
Killzone 3 Single Player Demo (Free and exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers)

Featured Game
Stacking (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers, regular price $14.99)

Featured Qore Episode
Qore February Episode 33 (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers, regular price $2.99)

Featured Avatars
Pocket Fighter Avatars (x6) (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers, regular price $0.49 each)

PlayStation Plus Highlights for 2/15:

Full Game Trial
ATV Pure (Free and exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers)

Featured Demo
Yakuza 4 Demo

Featured Games
Let’s Golf – Playstation minis (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers, regular price $4.99)

Discounted Games & DLC
Blacklight Tango Down (PlayStation Plus price $7.99, regular price $9.99)
R.U.S.E. – Pack of the Sun (PlayStation Plus price $7.49, regular price $9.99)
Gravity Crash (PS3) (PlayStation Plus Price $5.00, regular price $9.99)
Crash Bandicoot (PlayStation Plus price $3.00, regular price $5.99)
MAG Starter Kit (PlayStation Plus price $7.50, regular price $14.99)

Featured Themes & Avatars
Devil May Cry 4 Avatar Bundle (18 avatars ) (Exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers for $1.99)
DarkStalker Avatar Bundle (13 avatars) (Exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers for $0.99)
Femme Abstraction Theme (Free and exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
Snowman Dynamic Theme (Free and exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
Chinese New Year Dynamic Theme (Free and exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers)

Last Chance, Get Them While You Can – Coming down on February 8:

Featured Offers to PlayStation Plus Subscribers
Qore January Episode 32

Last Chance, Get Them While You Can – Coming down on February 15:

Featured Offers to PlayStation Plus Subscribers
Killzone 3 Single Player Demo
Hero of Sparta – PlayStation minis
Argyle Girls Theme
Hockey Theme

Discounted Games/DLC
Mega Man (PlayStation Plus price $3.00, regular price $5.99)
Juiced 2 PSP (PlayStation Plus price $10.00, regular price $19.99)
R.U.S.E. – The Chimera Pack (PlayStation Plus price $5.24, regular price $6.99)

The Stacking news is awesome! I've had $17 in my wallet just waiting for that game to come out, now I can spend it on something else. Double Fine, you are fucking awesome! :applause:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-exclusive-demos-for-killzone-3-and-yakuza-4/

Upcoming PS+ releases plus an interesting video with Double Fine about Stacking:[/QUOTE]

HOLY SHIT! Sony brings it big! Stacking for free unless its a misprint or the game sucks(doubtful)that is amazing and combined with a few other big offerings like Sam and Max just made PS+ totally worth my $50(would have been worth it a long time ago if not for already owning a lot of what was given away).

its things like this that make me laugh when people say psn + isnt worth having. yeah you dont own the games but since joining up ive gotten 34 games out if it. add to that the themes( dynamic and static) and the avatars ,dlc and exclusive demos/betas and thats a hell of a bargain for 49.99.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
There is no PS1 chip in the PS3, as it's a software emulator that plays disc and digital versions of the games that's been around since launch.
[/QUOTE]

I'll have to go with you on this, as I can't find the right key words to search, since everything I tried leads to jailbreaking :roll: which is not what I want...I could have sworn, they had the same internals (the info below is what I could find on the PS2 internals)

• CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
  • Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.
I still believed (maybe incorrectly) that this is still inside the PS3 (older units maybe) since PS1 emulation wasn't at it's best level in 2006 so they included the PS1 hardware on a small chip to be able to do backward compatibility until software caught up enough. I can't find better (or more precise) info that Wikipedia at the moment since as I said everything that I searched for leads to chipping/hacking systems.

Anyway I'll take your work for it, since I don't have time to find and look over 5 year old magazines with hardware specs and chalk it up to a mistaken belief on my part.

Hmm...I thought this was interesting.

The original "fatty" PS2's actually have the ps1 chip in hardware... it's just that when a ps2 game is loaded, the ps1 chip is then used as an I/O controller... and in some versions of Sony's SDK, it could optionally be used (if the dev was sure they weren't going to be using any of its USB/firewire ports) to be a secondary co-processor to offload tasks to. When a PS1 game is loaded though, the boot loader transfers control from the EE to this chip, and uses the GS component to replace the PS1's GPU.

On the newer, slimline PStwo's, this ps1 chip and its RAM are removed, and a software emulator is used for PS1 games. Further, the EE/GS are overclocked to compensate for the inefficiencies of the emulator. So this BC is imperfect, and could also cause problems for those ps2 games that used that chip as well.

And that is why I mistakenly believe that the PS3 has a PS1 chip inside, didn't know the newer slim PS2's had a emulator instead of hardware. Still would like to know why I've had a firm belief in that all of these years? And it dashes my initial comment above about all PS2's having a "PS1" inside of them, also might be confusing the PS2 innards and thinking that the PS1 hardware was also included in the PS3 as well.

Not gonna waste too much time worrying about it. ;)

Man I have really been anticipating Stacking ever since I first saw footage of it on Gametrailers. Now I find out it will be free for PSN+ members..... ARGH!!! Is this what finally pushes me over the edge to get PSN+? Quick question about +, they rotate games every month right, so if I am a + member and download Stacking for free I would have until the end of February to play it and then it would "disappear" and I would get new games in March? Can someone help me out here with how exactly PSN+ works when it comes to monthly games?

[quote name='cgarb84']Man I have really been anticipating Stacking ever since I first saw footage of it on Gametrailers. Now I find out it will be free for PSN+ members..... ARGH!!! Is this what finally pushes me over the edge to get PSN+? Quick question about +, they rotate games every month right, so if I am a + member and download Stacking for free I would have until the end of February to play it and then it would "disappear" and I would get new games in March? Can someone help me out here with how exactly PSN+ works when it comes to monthly games?[/QUOTE]

the game will be available to download until i think the end of the month then youre sol if you didnt download it because once they change up the games thats it. youll have access to it as long as your plus sub is paid up. when your sub ends your games wont work.

[quote name='cgarb84']Man I have really been anticipating Stacking ever since I first saw footage of it on Gametrailers. Now I find out it will be free for PSN+ members..... ARGH!!! Is this what finally pushes me over the edge to get PSN+? Quick question about +, they rotate games every month right, so if I am a + member and download Stacking for free I would have until the end of February to play it and then it would "disappear" and I would get new games in March? Can someone help me out here with how exactly PSN+ works when it comes to monthly games?[/QUOTE]
No, you have a month to download the games before they're switched out for something new. You can play those games as long as you're a subscriber.

Oh ok that's not too bad then. Is it kind of like an MMO in that if you stop your plus subscription and then resume it at a later date you can play your plus games again? Like in an MMO when you take a break for a while and then come back later you can still play your old characters, similar to that?

I was VERY skeptical about signing up for PSN+ but went ahead and took the plunge on January 31st. $50 seemed like a lot up front, but the way I figured it, come August, I will have gotten so much free loot from PSN that I'm not really going to miss that $50.

And now, days later after getting much of the free content from January and February, now I get the news that I'm getting Stacking for free. It's real hard to be negative about PSN+ right now.

bread's done
Back