What's something healthy for snacking on?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
As winter approaches I find I get really hungry. Trying to think of some snacks that aren't along the lines of Cheetos and corndogs. Right now I'm eating a bowl of popcorn that I excersised (some) retraint in buttering.

Jokes are welcome, course.

oat-honey.jpg

[quote name='Moxio']First joke is the typo in the title.[/quote]

Sorry.. typing too far from the monitor. Corrected.

Get yourself about 5 or 6 Granny Smith (Green) apples for the week, and dive in. I love those damn things. Don't let any assumptions you may have about Red Apples get to you. Red Apples suck, and Green Apples beat the shit out of them.

~HotShotX

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Pickles![/quote]
Agreed. When I was on my diet and sticking to it :)cry:) I'd get Tabasco flavored pickles. They handily take the place of chips, they barely have any calories, and they'll fill ya up in no time.

[quote name='Magehart']/thread

Nature valley everything rocks.[/quote]
Except everything they make contains high fructrose corn syrup in it. So much for eating "healthy."

Buy almonds, unsalted, in the baking goods aisle. Snack on those when you get hungry - one handful goes a long way towards satiety.

Eat foil packs of tuna. Lots of omega fatty acids (good for you), low in calories, high in protein. Buy flavored tunas (I believe labeled Tuna Creations by Starkist) for variation.

Buy whole grain breads and make toast. Buy almond butter and butter your toast.

I second the Nature Valley products, but buy the their dry granola bars (as pictured in someone else's post) since they're lower in high-fructose corn syrup than the coated ones.

Apples are good, as someone else mentioned, but for convenience, I buy little cups of fruit packed in light syrup, then I drain the syrup. Or cups of applesauce with no sugar added. That's key - no sugar added. Sometimes those cups approach the same sugar content as cans of pop (or "soda" for you others).

Kashi makes a great, fairly healthy snack cracker called TLC (Tasty Little Cracker). They're really good.

Buy Dannon Light & Fit yogurt. The Light & Fits are much lower in sugar than regular yogurt cups, which, like the fruit cups, can have lots of excess sugar if you don't watch it.

[quote name='Apossum']orange flavored dried cranberrys from Trader Joe's.[/quote]

Those things rock!

I suggest a little bit of homemade Humus and Pita Bread, top it off with a Diet Coke with Lime.

I suggest Pea chips, I believe the major brand label for them is Chaldea (?) or something. Their tasty and delicious, and have barely any of the fat of potato chips.

[quote name='Maklershed']Does someone make a snack/bag version of edamame? I bet that would be good.[/quote]

Actually, they have these really good bags of "mixed greens" at Trader Joes which are edamame (mostly), spinach, broccoli and asparagus. They are, I think $2.50 or so and make about three large servings. They're quite good if you steam them real quick and throw on some parm cheese and maybe some lemon. The edamame makes them feel more filling.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Pretzels.[/quote]

Agreed. Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided Twists are the way to go.

Only 110 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving, with no HFCS.

[quote name='bmachine']Agreed. Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided Twists are the way to go.

Only 110 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving, with no HFCS.[/QUOTE]

between honey wheat pretzels and green peppers, my snacking woes have disappeared.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Pickles! Just bought some tonight![/QUOTE]
Hell yes!!!! The only problem is they are high in sodium, but EVERYTHING is these days. So fuck it.

Trader Joe's Granola and Cereal Bars rock ass. I like the Chocolate Chip Granola and Apple Cereal Bars. They're organic, but they're about the same price or cheaper than shitty Nutri-Grain. Cereal is also always great to snack on.

oatmealsquares.jpg

I can eat these all day, straight out of the box as a snack. Low calories, tasty as hell, and half a cup is generally enough to fulfill your snacking needs. When I was on a weight loss kick at the beginning of this year, I ate a ton of these and nature valley bars. Not all at once, of course :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
oatmealsquares.jpg

I can eat these all day, straight out of the box as a snack. Low calories, tasty as hell, and half a cup is generally enough to fulfill your snacking needs. When I was on a weight loss kick at the beginning of this year, I ate a ton of these and nature valley bars. Not all at once, of course :lol:[/QUOTE]
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon flavors? I might have to give these a try. Just looked up the nutritional content. Low in sodium and sugar, high in fiber and vitamins/minerals, and some unsaturated fats. Score! Which flavor do you like better?

Awesome topic btw.

I would also say pickles. I buy the Sweet and Tangy pickles (forget who makes them) but they taste pretty sweet at first, then kick in some spice as an aftertase. Unbelievable tasting, and extremely healthy.

I also eat a lot of cutup cucumbers as well as pretzels. Just make sure you read the contents on pretzels, not all are created equal haha. As well as those baby carrots. Dont be fooled though, carrots do not make you see better.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Brown Sugar and Cinnamon flavors? I might have to give these a try. Just looked up the nutritional content. Low in sodium and sugar, high in fiber and vitamins/minerals, and some unsaturated fats. Score! Which flavor do you like better?[/QUOTE]

I'll eat the cinnamon ones like they're going out of style.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Actually, they have these really good bags of "mixed greens" at Trader Joes which are edamame (mostly), spinach, broccoli and asparagus. They are, I think $2.50 or so and make about three large servings. They're quite good if you steam them real quick and throw on some parm cheese and maybe some lemon. The edamame makes them feel more filling.[/QUOTE]
That sounds good. I'll probably pick up some of those bags. I eat a lot of broccoli and spinach, always run out quick too. Not sure about how much I like asparagus but I try it out.

Speaking of Trader Joes, it's time for me to buy a couple of cases of 2 Buck Chuck Shiraz for the holidays.

Of course, the way your body metabolizes the sugars in alcohol actually makes it rather unhealthy, so that's neither here nor there.

I agree with the grapes suggestion from earlier.

[quote name='Maklershed']Is Trader Joe's an actual store or is it a brand?[/quote]

It's a store and they're only in a few states...they sell Trader Joe's (or Trader Jose's on their burritos) brand food in the stores, but I've never seen it anywhere else.

It's good stuff...typically organic, fresh baked, locally grown, etc.

www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I'll eat the cinnamon ones like they're going out of style.[/QUOTE]
I love cinnamon so hard. Thanks, I'm gonna have to pick a box up.

bread's done
Back