Whats the best program for Vista.......

[quote name='Kerig']I have to say it...

Whats the best program for Vista.......

Windows XP :)[/QUOTE]

XP isn't a program. Then again it took 4 comments for someone to sound painfully stupid in a vista thread which I believe is a record

[quote name='n25philly']XP isn't a program.[/QUOTE]

what?

if it's computer instructions that were written (i.e. programmed), it's a program.

protip: XP was written by programmers.. it's a program

[quote name='n25philly']Then again it took 4 comments for someone to sound painfully stupid in a vista thread which I believe is a record[/QUOTE]

i think you mean seven

[quote name='Koggit']what?

if it's computer instructions that were written (i.e. programmed), it's a program.

protip: XP was written by programmers.. it's a program

i think you mean seven[/QUOTE]

XP is an operating system. It tells how the hardware and programs interact. Feel free to try running a program without intalling an OS though

[quote name='n25philly']XP is an operating system. It tells how the hardware and programs interact. Feel free to try running a program without intalling an OS though[/QUOTE]

Taken from Wikipedia:

A program is list of instructions written in a programming language that is used to control the behavior of a machine, often a computer (in this case it is known as a computer program).

Sounds like an Operating System to me brah.

[quote name='Koggit']what?

protip: XP was written by programmers.. it's a program[/QUOTE]You're an idiot. I'm a programmer; is this comment a program?

n25philly is right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

Operating systems don't control the hardware like y'all seem to think. They're the interface between the programs and the hardware.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']lawl look at these babby scrubs that don't understand computer terminology.[/QUOTE]

Then enlighten us O Edge of Coffee, which is it so that I may never look like a fool again?

[quote name='Liquid 2']Just pretend CoffeeEdge doesn't exist, Hydro. Dude stinks.[/QUOTE]

I was actually in here to say that you and n25philly and anyone except Hydro are correct, but whatever, brah, I don give a fuck, I don give a fuck, son.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I was actually in here to say that you and n25philly and anyone except Hydro are correct, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

My e-peen has suffered a great loss.

Does anyone else even remember what this thread was about :whistle2:k

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I was actually in here to say that you and n25philly and anyone except Hydro are correct, but whatever, brah, I don give a fuck, I don give a fuck, son.[/QUOTE]
I never said that you were going to be wrong.

I just said you stink. You're not alone though; Koggit is right there with you.
squirtle4.gif

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Does anyone else even remember what this thread was about :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I think I deserve some credit for being the last person to make a non-bullshit off-topic arguepost in this thread.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I just said you stink. You're not alone though; Koggit is right there with you.
squirtle4.gif
[/QUOTE]
WOOOOO I STINK. Cool beans, man.
emotwooper.gif

[quote name='Liquid 2']You're an idiot. I'm a programmer; is this comment a program?

n25philly is right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

Operating systems don't control the hardware like y'all seem to think. They're the interface between the programs and the hardware.[/QUOTE]
for a programmer you sure lack a basic grasp of logic.

an operating system is a program, end of story.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I was actually in here to say that you and n25philly and anyone except Hydro are correct, but whatever, brah, I don give a fuck, I don give a fuck, son.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think I deserve some credit for being the last person to make a non-bullshit off-topic arguepost in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, totally not bullshit. :roll:

I'm still sticking to my guns that an OS is a program though, if it's not a program then what is it?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Yeah, totally on topic. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand. Look at my first post in this thread. It was the last post in the thread before it went to shit. Thus, I made the last non-bullshit, on-topic post.

I win the universe.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm still sticking to my guns that an OS is a program though, if it's not a program then what is it?[/QUOTE]

don't let liquid plant seeds of doubt: an OS is a computer program.

and who cares what the original topic was.. his question's been answered, discussions flow, facts of life..

[quote name='Koggit']and who cares what the original topic was.. his question's been answered, discussions flow, facts of life..[/QUOTE]

Hah! Any time a derail a thread, there's always a shitstorm...

An operating system is an interface. You can't just run a program on hardware. You have to run it within the interface, and that's the operating system. The program manipulates the hardware, but it can't do that without a framework to run in, and that's the operating system.

It's like driving. The car is the hardware, but you--the program--can't control it with out the steering wheel--the operating system. You and the steering wheel, the program and the operating system, are not the same thing at all.

[quote name='Liquid 2']An operating system is an interface. You can't just run a program on hardware. You have to run it within the interface, and that's the operating system. The program manipulates the hardware, but it can't do that without a framework to run in, and that's the operating system.

It's like driving. The car is the hardware, but you--the program--can't control it with out the steering wheel--the operating system. You and the steering wheel, the program and the operating system, are not the same thing at all.[/QUOTE]

What an OS does is perform all the lower level tasks so that the program doesn't have to, much like the difference between C and Perl or Python.

[quote name='Liquid 2']An operating system is an interface. You can't just run a program on hardware. You have to run it within the interface, and that's the operating system. The program manipulates the hardware, but it can't do that without a framework to run in, and that's the operating system.[/QUOTE]
you realize, in the grand scheme of things, that's what every program does? think about it in terms of turing machines. the hardware is the real universal turing machine, but the OS is a set of instructions (program) that when fed into the original UTM creates another UTM (e.g. something that can receive a set of instructions and create new turing machines) -- you can then write machine code that would cause the operating system to do what it's told, which is a third UTM -- there are then compilers that interpret higher level languages which act as a fourth UTM. each of these phases could be viewed as an interface for applying commands, but 2 - 4 are still programs written by programmers. in those layers, only the hardware is not a program.

also, so my post isn't all heresy.. from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program
Functional categories

Computer programs may be categorized along functional lines. These functional categories are system software and application software. System software includes the operating system which couples the computer's hardware with the application software.[12] The purpose of the operating system is to provide an environment in which application software executes in a convenient and efficient manner.[12] In addition to the operating system, system software includes utility programs that help manage and tune the computer. If a computer program is not system software then it is application software. Application software includes middleware, which couples the system software with the user interface. Application software also includes utility programs that help users solve application problems, like the need for sorting.

[quote name='Liquid 2']An operating system is an interface. You can't just run a program on hardware. You have to run it within the interface, and that's the operating system. The program manipulates the hardware, but it can't do that without a framework to run in, and that's the operating system.[/QUOTE]
you realize, in the grand scheme of things, that's what every program does? think about it in terms of turing machines. the hardware is the real universal turing machine, but the OS is a set of instructions (program) that when fed into the original UTM creates another UTM (e.g. something that can receive a set of instructions and create new turing machines) -- you can then write machine code that would cause the operating system to do what it's told, which is a third UTM -- there are then compilers that interpret higher level languages which act as a fourth UTM. each of these phases could be viewed as an interface for applying commands, but 2 - 4 are still programs written by programmers. in those layers, only the hardware is not a program.

but back to my claim "that's what every program does". to use a simple program as an example, XP's built-in calculator, it's a set of instructions written for a UTM (the programming language's compiler, i dunno what they used, probably some C derivative) which was interpreted by another UTM (the OS) which was executed by the original UTM (the hardware). the calculator itself is a turing machine in the way you described, in that it accepts input and modifies it to create predetermined output. you give the calculator code telling it to add 2+2 but that's just the interface, as you'd like to claim, and the hardware is the only step in the totem pole that does anything other than interpret the input. so by your claim that as an interface it's not a program, none of the software involved in adding 2+2 on XP's calculator would be a program...

but just so my post isn't all heresy.. from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program
Functional categories

Computer programs may be categorized along functional lines. These functional categories are system software and application software. System software includes the operating system which couples the computer's hardware with the application software.[12] The purpose of the operating system is to provide an environment in which application software executes in a convenient and efficient manner.[12] In addition to the operating system, system software includes utility programs that help manage and tune the computer. If a computer program is not system software then it is application software. Application software includes middleware, which couples the system software with the user interface. Application software also includes utility programs that help users solve application problems, like the need for sorting.

bread's done
Back