whats the biggest hdd a ps3 can use?

Well this is kind of tricky as it'll be a limit of the internal file system which is custom.(SPUFS) It looks to be based on ext2/3 which would put it at 8TB if I'm not mistaken but, once again, the file system is custom.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love to know the answer as well.

edit: And holy hell do I wish my PS3 Slim supported OtherOS as I'd use it every damn day.

Current maximum size you can get for a 9mm high 2.5" HDD is 750GB, coming from Seagate, Western Digita and Hitachi. Western Digital makes a 1TB 2.5" hard drive, though it's 12.5mm high and I'm not sure if the PS3 can handle a drive that tall.

As shrike said, in terms on hard drives that will fit in there, it's a 750GB. I've got a Western Digital 750GB and it's great. However, the 1TB 12.5mm high hard drive CAN fit in the PS3, it just takes a little bit of work, including removing the drive caddy. Look it up on Google. And finally, if you want something bigger, like a 2TB, you'll have to go up to a 3.5" hard drive using SATA extenders. This makes it so the hard drive has to be external. But in terms on actual capacity limit, we don't know yet. I know that 2TB will work for sure.

Thanks for the replys people. I figured as long as its a 2.5 I'd be fine. Apparently not. I guess its not just worth it to upgrade to 250gb more right now.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Well this is kind of tricky as it'll be a limit of the internal file system which is custom.(SPUFS) It looks to be based on ext2/3 which would put it at 8TB if I'm not mistaken but, once again, the file system is custom.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love to know the answer as well.

edit: And holy hell do I wish my PS3 Slim supported OtherOS as I'd use it every damn day.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda new to the whole aftermarket upgrading your ps3 (still 60GB launch original)

Are these launch models capable of running a separate OS?

Thanks

They were able to run Linux, but firmware update 3.21 eliminated it. So, you'd need to find one that doesn't have the update, and then find a way to bypass Sony looking to see if it has the current firmware when you put it online. There's ways to do that through the internet settings if you google it.

bread's done
Back