What's the difference between CoD and R2 online?

neckfurters

CAGiversary!
I've never played a Call of Duty game online, but have seen lots of screens and video of it and it looks a lot like Resistance 2's competative multiplayer. R2 has its "perks" and the XP system seem similar. I really enjoy R2's multiplayer but am I missing anything in CoD's multiplayer? I like Resistance' large scaled skirmishes that are broken down to smaller battles that contributes to the outcome of the match.

I bought Resistance 2 so me and my friend could play through the game together online... not only did I find out you can't do that, but I HATE the online "deathmatch" modes.... I wish I had bought COD WOW for the PS3 even though I already have it for the 360... I would have had a better game to play online with my friend

I still have yet to get into the one player aspect of R2 and hope it justifies my purchase.

I know this sounds stupid to say, but play it and find out. Go rent it and see if you like it. It would probably take less effort than checking this post throughout the next couple of days.

Call of Duty games (at least the last two) have been extremely popular because they reward the player and dangle that carrot in front of their heads as they progress through the multiplayer.

If you don't know if that's for you, check out the thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189927

COD is more realistic. R2 is more like Halo (although not to that extreme).

Both have their place, although I really enjoy COD 4/5.

[quote name='RudyPants']I know this sounds stupid to say, but play it and find out. Go rent it and see if you like it. It would probably take less effort than checking this post throughout the next couple of days.

Call of Duty games (at least the last two) have been extremely popular because they reward the player and dangle that carrot in front of their heads as they progress through the multiplayer.

If you don't know if that's for you, check out the thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189927[/QUOTE]

The reward system is what I like so much about R2's multiplayer. I like the XP system it employs and that you get rewarded with weapons and "perks". The only bad thing about it is that you have to put some good amount of time to unlock those things which put you at a disadvantage early on unlike a game like Warhawk where you're unlocking items that are purely cosmetic. I'll give CoD: WaW a shot, but I was just curious if it had any unique modes or if there was something else that made it stand out.

[quote name='DestroVega']I bought Resistance 2 so me and my friend could play through the game together online... not only did I find out you can't do that, but I HATE the online "deathmatch" modes.... I wish I had bought COD WOW for the PS3 even though I already have it for the 360... I would have had a better game to play online with my friend

I still have yet to get into the one player aspect of R2 and hope it justifies my purchase.[/QUOTE]IMO, R2 co-op mode > ANY campaign co-op. It works like a MMO, and you NEED at least 5-6 people in your game (one of each class) to play. When you do, it works very well and tons of fun. While there may be 6 maps, there's around 61 variations, and just about every time I play a map it feels different. It's just fun working together as a team with many people. You level up classes, buy new stuff with gray tech, etc. It's so addicting. Insomniac stated they did NOT put a campaign co-op because they wanted the story to focus around Nathan Hale. If they were to have a 2nd player, they would have to create a 2nd character and make him fit into the story also (since the game uses real-time cutscenes, not like the first with artwork storyboards). The current co-op setup is where the majority of the resources went too.

Let me just say, if you try ONLY playing R2 for the single player and nothing else, you probably will be a bit disappointed (while it's fun, it's short). If you try it for only competitive, you MIGHT like it, you MIGHT not like it (It is very different from the first one).

However, what really makes R2 shine is the online co-op, like I said. If you try playing online co-op with JUST two people, you will NOT survive and will probably end up hating it. It requires (like I said) multiple people and every class. Once you play that way, the co-op is brilliant. Since I kind of like MMO type games, I truly love R2 online (favorite online game of 2008, and possibly on PS3).

Getting back to CoD games, I'll give my overall opinion on it (while I haven't played WaW, I have heard a lot about it). CoD is a bit more realistic where fewer shots will kill you. It's more of a war type game too. Some will prefer CoD, some will prefer R2 (personally I prefer R2). It's online setup on PS3 is both good and bad. It works well when it's just you playing competitive because you can enter search for games automatically (and the match making is very good), gain experience, then keep playing with the group (or find a few game). But at the same time, CoD has had some MAJOR issues on PS3, which is why I kind of refuse to buy WaW:
-Playing with friends is a pain. First problem is that you can only invite people when they are logged on (not the biggest deal since R2 is that way). But someones name only appears on the list when they logged on. Many times, it does NOT list every buddy that's online. Even though you see a list of buddies online, it doesn't tell you if they are staging, in-game, etc. (nothing, only says their name). The only way to fix this is to go offline, then go back online.
-Party system is broken in a way. If you want to back your party out of a ranked match, the party does not re-connect with eachother at times. You pretty much have to back out of the game, send invites to everyone again to change your game type. Also, if the host leaves the party, the party gets disbanded.
-The game lacks host migration. If the host disconnects from the game, everyone gets kicked off. In R2, if the host disconnects, you will still play.
-The invite system on PS3 NEEDS to be changed. If you pause the game or on the menu, a pop-up will appear saying do you want to accept the invite. It's on the center of the screen and you can't do anything, but accept or decline. Sometimes, it will not let you decline, so you press the back out and you are at the main online menu again. Sometimes when you accept, the game already started and full, and you are back to the main menu again (lets say you were in a good game, chose to accept the invite, and that happens).

The smoothest way to play with friends is to create a private match (which is not ranked) because you can invite people while you are playing and such, but your stats will not go up (that was the best way to handle CAG nights for it).

CoD is still a good game no doubt, but its online issues is what keeps me from getting back into it (and I do prefer more sci-fi shooters).

Like someone said, R2 is more Halo, CoD is more realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neckfurters']I've never played a Call of Duty game online, but have seen lots of screens and video of it and it looks a lot like Resistance 2's competative multiplayer. R2 has its "perks" and the XP system seem similar. I really enjoy R2's multiplayer but am I missing anything in CoD's multiplayer? I like Resistance' large scaled skirmishes that are broken down to smaller battles that contributes to the outcome of the match.[/quote]LOL.
You didn't do any research and you must suck. It took me a couple of weeks to grasp the battlefield as this was my first 1st person shooter since the days of the 64, and after getting raped, now I am doing the raping. I only have 5 ps3 games but this gta 4, and metal gear are clearly some of the best games you could buy. The game is amazing once you understand what you are doing. Don't be a quitter unlesss you royally suck. Singleplayer is better the second time through on the harder difficulty.

[quote name='HuppSav']LOL.
You didn't do any research and you must suck. It took me a couple of weeks to grasp the battlefield as this was my first 1st person shooter since the days of the 64, and after getting raped, now I am doing the raping. I only have 5 ps3 games but this gta 4, and metal gear are clearly some of the best games you could buy. The game is amazing once you understand what you are doing. Don't be a quitter unlesss you royally suck. Singleplayer is better the second time through on the harder difficulty.[/quote]

Did you mean to quote my post?

I haven't even given R2 a fair shake yet... I was just giving my opinion... I instantly became addicted to CoD and R2 turned me off because I thought I could do something I can't.

I also found the competitive online a bit like Halo, which I don't like. It has nothing to do with me being good or not. I just like CoD's closer to realism feel. I'm sure the campaign in R2 will be good when I get around to playing it.

[quote name='HuppSav']LOL.
You didn't do any research and you must suck. It took me a couple of weeks to grasp the battlefield as this was my first 1st person shooter since the days of the 64, and after getting raped, now I am doing the raping. I only have 5 ps3 games but this gta 4, and metal gear are clearly some of the best games you could buy. The game is amazing once you understand what you are doing. Don't be a quitter unlesss you royally suck. Singleplayer is better the second time through on the harder difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck! Are you for real? I simply asked what are the main differences of the two games were in online competative play. I breezed through the SP campaign on the hardest difficulty available my first (and last) time through.

I guess he was replying to you, Vega. Still, his rant was pretty hilarious.

[quote name='whoknows']COD4 is better than R2 IMO.

COD5 is the same as 4 kind of, except the guns are lame and the maps aren't as good.[/quote]

wow... I think the best upgrade in COD5 are the maps.

[quote name='DestroVega']wow... I think the best upgrade in COD5 are the maps.[/quote]

I don't like how ONE SIDED some of the WaW maps can be. The only one sided map from COD4 I can think of is Creek, and if you start at the bottom of the hill, you're gimped!

(By one sided map I mean one side of the map give the players an advantage. Prime example would be Seelow, start near the railroad tracks and your sure to get a few kills before the other team running across the field gets 1)

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']I don't like how ONE SIDED some of the WaW maps can be. The only one sided map from COD4 I can think of is Creek, and if you start at the bottom of the hill, you're gimped!

(By one sided map I mean one side of the map give the players an advantage. Prime example would be Seelow, start near the railroad tracks and your sure to get a few kills before the other team running across the field gets 1)[/quote]

Don't forget Bog, in a game of Domination, if you started at C, you were as good as dead unless you could take A within the first two minutes.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It works like a MMO, and you NEED at least 5-6 people in your game (one of each class) to play. [/quote] No.

[quote name='DestroVega']wow... I think the best upgrade in COD5 are the maps.[/quote]

Thats because the Maps in COD: WaW are one of te few things that can be considered upgrade. The best thing about this game was the online co-op and it wasent even done well. To the OP if you want to compare COD and R2, use CoD:4 for the comparison, it's LOADS better than WaW.

my 2 cents. I like the old guns better in WaW than the newer ones i COD4. There is nothing more satisfiying than semi-automatic Gewher 43 w/ an aperture.

Well, I primarily play R2 on my ps3, and CoD4 on my 360. They are different games (a realistic shooter vs. sci-fi realism), and that even boils down to online game mechanics.

In CoD4, there seems be a level of luck that get's played when it becomes 1-1, if both were equally skilled, using the same weapons. (such as one of the shooters scoring off a insta-kill randomish headshot with a silenced mp5), while in R2, it usually boils down "whoever can plant the most bullets without having to reload/ambush the guy" while all things being equal.

It's not a compliant really, but a personal observation.

But, I would have to say though, I got thoroughly addicted to CoD4 to the point that my sig. other threatened to leave my ass if I didn't get my crap together and set my priorities straight, and if WaW follows from the formula directly and the same addicting qualities (the already mentioned XP and carrot-on-a-stick mechanics), then it may have been a good reason that I haven't picked up WaW just yet.

I agree with the whole renting/trying out both of them, and spending a few days with them. After that, figure out what you played more/got addicted to, and purchase accordingly.

bread's done
Back