What's the first racer you remember playing?

[quote name='Lister']Grand Prix for the 2600.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I forgot that one. With the paddle controller, right? I had that too. Good times.

It was either Turbo, Pole Postion, or Rally-X in the arcades. I can't remember which one but those are the earliest I remember playing.

Wasn't really into the driving games as a Kid when i had a genesis. But I think I started late with either Cruisin USA or Virtua Racer

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Does Night Driver for Atari count? The one that sticks out most though is Pole Possition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that counts. It was actually a stand up arcade machine I used to play in the local arcade and the second game I purchased for my VCS(it wasn't yet called the 2600 back then). I don't know if Atari Indy 500 counts, though, does it ? I used to play that one too but never had the home version.

Actually I had a Mattel Electronics Auto Race - a handheld LED racing game when I was a wee lad that I used to play on car trips with the family. That was in 1975-6 I believe becuase it was a year or 2 before we bought an Atari VCS.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yeah, that counts. It was actually a stand up arcade machine I used to play in the local arcade and the second game I purchased for my VCS(it wasn't yet called the 2600 back then). I don't know if Atari Indy 500 counts, though, does it ? I used to play that one too but never had the home version.

Actually I had a Mattel Electronics Auto Race - a handheld LED racing game when I was a wee lad that I used to play on car trips with the family. That was in 1975-6 I believe becuase it was a year or 2 before we bought an Atari VCS.[/QUOTE]

If RC-Pro Am counts, then Indy 500 definitely counts as well. Probably the first game with "power slides".

[quote name='neudog']Does Moon Patrol count? One of my favorite Atari games.[/QUOTE]

It sure counts for best fucking music in a video game ever.

Outrun 2019 on genesis, that game was the bomb. I played it for hours, and hours. But if i go to play it today, its kinda strange ahaha. The graphics dont suck, but the way the game moves sucks.

This. Notice how the Atari console (right) is *better* than the arcade version (left)! Woo! Atari was a truly advanced machine. Got color & everything. ;-)

vNight_Driver.png
mini-nightdriver.gif

[quote name='Jonny Polychronopoulos']Hard Driv'n for the Genesis. It had polygonal graphics, shitting crash physics and a cow you could run over that mooed like a robot.[/QUOTE]

That poor, poor cow. I'd be surprised if there was ever a person that played that game that didn't hunt that bovine down every time they switched on the game.

bread's done
Back