what's the limit for ps3 hard drive

[quote name='2DMention']If you just play games on it, you don't really need a big HD.

My guess would be 1TB, but I dunno.[/QUOTE]

you do if you've downloaded a shit load of games

[quote name='FroMann']All you really need right now is a 500GB hard drive.[/QUOTE]

OK. I just kept reading different sizes and just wanted to be sure

I have a 500, but I've heard others go to a 640. Don't know of anyone who's exceeded that, but I doubt it would be an issue. The main things to be cautious of are heat and size... It needs to be a 2.5" SATA drive (preferably SATA 3 Gb/s). A lot of 7200 RPM drives get a bit hot, so I'd personally stick with a 5400 RPM. Consoles in general aren't real disk-intensive, so speed isn't too critical. Newegg has an excellent price ($50) on a dual platter 640 Gb for black friday if anyone's shopping for one... It was mentioned in another forum, but I figured the PS3 peeps here should know about it...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_mmc=BFUS-_-380-_-N82E16822136459&nm_mc=BFUS

[quote name='smthng']I have a 500, but I've heard others go to a 640. Don't know of anyone who's exceeded that, but I doubt it would be an issue. The main things to be cautious of are heat and size... It needs to be a 2.5" SATA drive (preferably SATA 3 Gb/s). A lot of 7200 RPM drives get a bit hot, so I'd personally stick with a 5400 RPM. Consoles in general aren't real disk-intensive, so speed isn't too critical. Newegg has an excellent price ($50) on a dual platter 640 Gb for black friday if anyone's shopping for one... It was mentioned in another forum, but I figured the PS3 peeps here should know about it...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_mmc=BFUS-_-380-_-N82E16822136459&nm_mc=BFUS[/QUOTE]

Picked this HD up from Newegg to upgrade from my 80GB drive, solid deal....

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I think it's somewhere around 640. I recall reading somewhere here that more space than that equaled a bigger physical drive that did not fit.[/QUOTE]

What, what, what? Simply not true, you just need a 2.5" HD with a SATA connection....aka a laptop hard drive. Any 2.5" SATA hard drive should work, some better than others. The largest one out at the moment is 1TB. I believe the biggest 2.5" HD at the moment are 1TB, 750GB, 640GB, and 500GB. I have a 500GB in my slim and a 320GB in my fatboy.

bread's done
Back