What's up with my TV? (Discoloration)

Rig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
I have a 27" Sharp CRT television I bought a couple years ago before I went to college. Recently, I've noticed that when I'm using the INPUT channels, sometimes a discolored blob will appear in the mid to upper right of the screen. It's the same effect that a magnet does to TV's, as I've seen a couple of those in the past.

Anyway, I have never placed a magnet on or near my TV. And it only happens on the INPUT channels. (INPUT 1 is the Xbox, INPUT 2 is the Wii, and INPUT 3 (Component) is the 360.)

I think it may originate from INPUT 2, where the Wii is. (INPUT 2 ports are on front.) I usually notice it happens when I have it (the Wii) on. I don't think it's the Wii itself, as I'm almost certain I have had other consoles in that port, and I'm almost certain I've seen it happen with them. Sometimes I can play for hours and not see it, and other times it may show after being on the Home menu for a couple minutes.

When I see the spot, I quickly change the channel. If I change to INPUT 1 or 3, I can still see the color is distorted, as the word INPUT in the corner is always a different color than normal. But when I change to regular TV channels, the colors are just fine. Changing back to the INPUT channels makes the spot return. I usually turn the channels and shut the TV on and off a couple times to get rid of it.

Does anyone know why this may be happening? Could it be the specific INPUT port doing something? Again, it *might* happen on INPUT 1 or 3, but I always seem to notice it starting on INPUT 2. (And then transferring over.)

Any suggestions?

Strange, I've had an ongoing problem with what I can only call "scanlines" of some sort. Like a band of greenish discoloration moving up through the picture while my TV is set on it's inputs. Stranger still, it only happens when the cable is plugged in. I recently replaced it with a new Sharp Aquos LCD and I'm still seeing them...so I've pretty convinced it's some sort of interference with the cable (RF) connection coming in. I wonder if it's the same problem you're having?

I have a 34" widescreen CRT and also experience a similar "rainbow effect" problem from time to time in the corners and along the left and right edges of the screen.

I have read many differing opions on what causes this ranging from faulty sheilding around the speakers (my speakers are on the side of the tv) to "naturally occuring magnetic waves in the atmosphere that interfere with the picture". I tend to beleive the speakers are the problem, but who knows?

Have you recently moved the tv or relocated it to a different part of the room?
If so, try moving it back to where you had it before to see if the problem remains.

If you think it could just be the one port on the front, try another set of cables or switch which system is on that input and see if you still have the problem.

[quote name='sketch226']Strange, I've had an ongoing problem with what I can only call "scanlines" of some sort. Like a band of greenish discoloration moving up through the picture while my TV is set on it's inputs. Stranger still, it only happens when the cable is plugged in. I recently replaced it with a new Sharp Aquos LCD and I'm still seeing them...so I've pretty convinced it's some sort of interference with the cable (RF) connection coming in. I wonder if it's the same problem you're having?[/QUOTE]

Sketch - i have a friend who had a similar problem and what fixed his problem are the cheap little power plug adapters:

150px-Grounded_plug_adapter.jpg

These are like 75 cents each at Lowes. Try using one of these on the power cable of whatever device you are using on your inputs to see if that helps.

[quote name='youbastards']I have a 34" widescreen CRT and also experience a similar "rainbow effect" problem from time to time in the corners and along the left and right edges of the screen.

I have read many differing opions on what causes this ranging from faulty sheilding around the speakers (my speakers are on the side of the tv) to "naturally occuring magnetic waves in the atmosphere that interfere with the picture". I tend to beleive the speakers are the problem, but who knows?

Have you recently moved the tv or relocated it to a different part of the room?
If so, try moving it back to where you had it before to see if the problem remains.

If you think it could just be the one port on the front, try another set of cables or switch which system is on that input and see if you still have the problem.[/quote]

It has been in the same location for quite some time now.

I guess I can always try switching the consoles. The 360 stays on the component port, and my Xbox is in the back because it has S-Video. But I can always move it up front and use composite.

I'll see if it changes anything.

And it did it again tonight. >.<

Obviously, swapping the cables did no good. I went to the Wii, which was now on INPUT 1 and was downloading the Internet Browser. I looked up and saw it again. Changed the channels, and they all had it, including my regular channels! I shut the TV off for a few seconds and turned it back on. Everything was fine again.

It's really worrying me now. I was gonna take a picture, but was kinda busy a the moment it was happening...any other suggestions?

[quote name='evilmax17']You put a magnet anywhere near it?[/quote]

Never. I don't think I have any magnets in the apartment! (Maybe one or two in the kitchen.)

Yeah I have the same problem in the corners of my 20" Magnavox TV in one of the bedrooms. It has a purple/green tint to it. Like everyone else I read it was due to the shielding on the speakers and there isn't really anything I can do about it other than buy a new TV.

What color is the screen when the input channels? A lot of times when a T.V. does something like that, it is because one of the colors is going out in that area. For instance, a T.V. I had at my old work was on 24/7, and it started getting a discoloration in the bottom left side. You would only really notice the discoloration when something very red came on the screen. (I noticed this while watching the A-Team and the all red title screen)

Because all colors on a T.V. are made up of three primary colors if one goes out, then a discoloration occurs, but only with colors that use that primary color. So, for my case, because the red background was showing up as a magenta blob, that meant that the yellow was going out in that area. (I think that's how it worked)

Anyway, so if your input channel is one color (Like red in the title screen of the A-Team) then you can figure out what color is going out in that area, and you may notice it on the other channels when that color appears near that area of the T.V.

As for me actually being helpful and telling you how to fix it...well I'm not sure that you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

bread's done
Back