What's wrong with my dreamcast

Maria1011

CAG Veteran
Everytime I turn on my dreamcast all that happens is I hear the start sound but the screen is blank. My control pad seems to work coz I see capcom on it and every key I press makes a sound. I replaced the PSU fuse, follow three procedure I saw in YouTube on how to fix ranson restart problem, disc error problem and replacing internal battery. The only thing I haven't done is replace the F1 resistor. Is it the right thing or is there something else that has a problem and not that. I cant buy smaller than 168 pcs of the 10 om resistor and that irretates me coz it coz so much when all I need is one peice which cost almost nothing.:bomb:

[quote name='whoknows']Buy another Dreamcast?

Probably cheaper than fixing yours.[/QUOTE]
I have three already with the same problem I just want one to work.

If the screen is blank but you can hear sounds when you fiddle through the options with your controller, it means that your GPU (the Dreamcast's video card) is shot. Happened with my Xbox 360. I can hear the sounds as I go through the menus but no picture.

I did the F1 resistor repair before, it's really cheap and easy to do and you can put in a better resistor so you won't have your controllers killing your system.

Too bad there's no Norway equivalent to Radio Shack or Fry's nearby.

[quote name='Maria1011']Everytime I turn on my dreamcast all that happens is I hear the start sound but the screen is blank. My control pad seems to work coz I see capcom on it and every key I press makes a sound. I replaced the PSU fuse, follow three procedure I saw in YouTube on how to fix ranson restart problem, disc error problem and replacing internal battery. The only thing I haven't done is replace the F1 resistor. Is it the right thing or is there something else that has a problem and not that. I cant buy smaller than 168 pcs of the 10 om resistor and that irretates me coz it coz so much when all I need is one peice which cost almost nothing.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

I notice this happens a lot.

Best bet is to just buy another dreamcast. Better replace your main controller too incase it's causing a bustout.

Did try a different A/V cable ?
I know it's kind of a smart-assed thing to say , but you didn't say you had 3 cables as well .

I have 3rd party S-Video cable that has to be inserted perfectly to work correctly .

[quote name='Kendro']If the screen is blank but you can hear sounds when you fiddle through the options with your controller, it means that your GPU (the Dreamcast's video card) is shot. Happened with my Xbox 360. I can hear the sounds as I go through the menus but no picture.[/quote]

Can it be change?

[quote name='anotherjeff']I did the F1 resistor repair before, it's really cheap and easy to do and you can put in a better resistor so you won't have your controllers killing your system.

Too bad there's no Norway equivalent to Radio Shack or Fry's nearby.[/quote]

Yup I miss radio shack I use to buy from them. Her there are alot of good stores but they usually sell in bulk so they are not so good. thanks for the advice incase I'll do that I will put to mind what you said.;)

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']I notice this happens a lot.

Best bet is to just buy another dreamcast. Better replace your main controller too incase it's causing a bustout.[/quote]

Darn! I think I'll stick to Wii for now to much machines already. But I'll try replacing the main controller just to try. Thanks.:)

[quote name='Richlough']Did try a different A/V cable ?
I know it's kind of a smart-assed thing to say , but you didn't say you had 3 cables as well .

I have 3rd party S-Video cable that has to be inserted perfectly to work correctly .[/quote]

It's not a smart-ass thing to say actually I think you have a point there I use the same cable all the time even if i have 4 more lying somewhere. Thanks for the ideal. You know sometimes we ignore those light things when they can be the solution. I did this time.:D

Just want to tell you guys thanks for the inspiration, after a lot of study now i know how to fix the problems of all the dream cast I have now all of them are functional and I was even able to repair my friends dream cast which the repair shop cant repair. Thanks to the world of internet. :bouncy:

Glad to hear it. I love Dreamcast. I have 3 myself (one from launch, and two from a thrift store). I realized the GD-ROM drive in one was shot, but luckily found a really dirty Dreamcast in this junkyard-type place sitting on top of stuff. So I performed a transplant and have 3 working Dreamcasts (techinically 4, counting the broken one now).

bread's done
Back