Whee, it's (maybe) my first job!

grifter_mcgraw

CAGiversary!
Well, having been on this forum quite awhile, I am aware that there are some on this forum who have/have had jobs at game stores, so to those of you who fit into that category, what advice have you got for a 16 year old kid who's figured out his local Gamestop is hiring for a game advisor position, and wants an app?

keep the enthusiasm up kid... it's fun when you get your first job.

i've been trying to guage how best to get hit, lightly, by a car on a busy street. how the roll just right. only want out of work for a few months. nothing debiliating. leave the game hands intact.. break the fall with a knee.

[quote name='munch']To run, run far, far away.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Gamestop sucks. It was my first job, and it was fun, until they went too far with their asinine policies.

gamestop = worst job ever.
out of the few jobs i've had, gamestop was by far the worst.

you'd be better off with mcdonalds.

I enjoyed my first job (grocery store) for about 3 days. About that time, someone took advantage of me and asked me to work for them (of course I wasn't going to say "no" that early on, because I wanted to get on everyone's good side) and I did. I ended up working like hell the first work I did, and it sucked.

I ended up working there for exactly a year -- I hated that job 99% of the time I worked.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I enjoyed my first job (grocery store) for about 3 days. About that time, someone took advantage of me and asked me to work for them (of course I wasn't going to say "no" that early on, because I wanted to get on everyone's good side) and I did. I ended up working like hell the first work I did, and it sucked.

I ended up working there for exactly a year -- I hated that job 99% of the time I worked.[/QUOTE]

I actually loved my first job at a grocery store. It was a small one called foodland. I was a bagger/stocker. It rocked!

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']Well, having been on this forum quite awhile, I am aware that there are some on this forum who have/have had jobs at game stores, so to those of you who fit into that category, what advice have you got for a 16 year old kid who's figured out his local Gamestop is hiring for a game advisor position, and wants an app?[/QUOTE]

Congrats, I guess its a job even though people are knocking the job. Its a job nonetheless.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I enjoyed my first job (grocery store) for about 3 days. About that time, someone took advantage of me and asked me to work for them (of course I wasn't going to say "no" that early on, because I wanted to get on everyone's good side) and I did. I ended up working like hell the first work I did, and it sucked.

I ended up working there for exactly a year -- I hated that job 99% of the time I worked.[/quote]

I'm still at my first job, working at an engineering firm doing whatever needs to be done- Programming, assembling mechanical stuff, or testing hardware. :D I hope maybe I'll get a raise from my $7 an hour soon. >_>

Where the fuck do you live? Even in MN jobs like that start at $12+

[quote name='Tiphireth']I'm still at my first job, working at an engineering firm doing whatever needs to be done- Programming, assembling mechanical stuff, or testing hardware. :D I hope maybe I'll get a raise from my $7 an hour soon. >_>[/quote]

[quote name='gigan54']gamestop = worst job ever.

you'd be better off with mcdonalds.[/QUOTE]

It can't be that bad........
(You must not have see the show "Dirty Jobs" on the discovery channel)
At least you gets first dibs on the used game.

[quote name='Kayden']Where the fuck do you live? Even in MN jobs like that start at $12+[/quote]

Colorado. I suppose it's since I'm 17, and don't even have a diploma (I graduate in May) is why I don't make much. Besides, it's a small business.

My first job was at a roller-skating rink. Mostly it was pretty fun, though I wanted to murder some parents and kids some days.

My first job was at a water amusement park during the summer. It was badass since about 20 of friends got hired as well and we all fucked around and swam instead of work...ah memories.

you'd be better off with mcdonalds.[/QUOTE]

i have worked at both gamestop, and mcdonalds.

this man is lying, gamestop blows mcdonalds out of the water

my first job was working at beaverun motorsports complex. www.beaverun.com i get discounts on all driving events and free admission, it's awesome. i think i started out at 7/hr and worked some weekends during the summer. i still work there and i love that discount. saves me more money than i make working there probaly.

even though working at gamestop may sound fun, the vast majority of people who have actually worked at gamestop didn't enjoy their experience.

you'd be better off with mcdonalds.[/quote]
While I did ask for advice, musings, etc., I really doubt the position of 'Game Advisor'( a.k.a. helping parents find what their kids want, spitting release dates, prices, maybe even personal opinions on games. ) could be that sucky a job.

EDIT: But thank you all for the input. And purely for everyone's information, I'm a San Antonio-ian.

EDIT 2: Plus I get to be called Game Advisor, how cool is that?

[quote name='Jaket']i have worked at both gamestop, and mcdonalds.

this man is lying, gamestop blows mcdonalds out of the water[/QUOTE]

you're probably right. i havent' worked at a mcdonalds, but my experience with gamestop was... well shitty. I would've recommended something like ups, but he's under 18 which makes this harder. you do have a point, and i shouldn't have said somehting i couldn't back up.

grifter: the job sounds good, but the feelign will subside after an hour or 2 of actual work. you seem to have already made your decision, so enjoy it then.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']While I did ask for advice, musings, etc., I really doubt the position of 'Game Advisor'( a.k.a. helping parents find what their kids want, spitting release dates, prices, maybe even personal opinions on games. ) could be that sucky a job.
[/quote]

Until of course you realize helping and giving personal opinions means pushing whatever games/systems GS is trying to sell that week, oh and let us not forget all the preorders you'll have to sell.

So basically you'll be like a minimum wage drug pusher!

I've said it before and i'll say it again a grocery store is the best place for a part time job(minor or not) flexible hours decent pay lots of people to talk to. Hell I still work at a grocery store and if everything works out like I planed I could retire at 40 with close to 1.6 million(Private Stock and 401k)

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']EDIT 2: Plus I get to be called Game Advisor, how cool is that?[/QUOTE]
is a waste management and disposal technician any better than a garbage man?

game advisor is likely a nice spin on clerk. i'm guessing the job will consist of customer service and cashiering.

i've never worked at gamestop and have no opinion on working there. have fun, whatever you call yourself.

ive worked at gamestop for 2 years, and its great. you have to put up with a lot of shit from "corporate" and disctrict managers and such, but ya know what, you do at every other job that youre going to work in retail. but at least you can work with something you enjoy. but just know this, that there is a lot of pressure to sell subscriptions to game informer and get resrevations, which really doesnt matter if youre a game advisor, only if youre a manager. but as a game advisor, youll probably only work 2 shifts a week, maybe less, more if youre lucky, and almost certainly get paid minimum wage. but hey, id take gamestop over other retail jobs, and ive worked behind a register a bit, gamestop is the best by far despite its short comings.

I'm working there now, and to be truthful, I hate going in to work. We have terrible managers, and when there is a problem with the preorders/subscriptions, the managers will come down on you hard. When I work with one of my managers, he sits and plays DS the whole time. If not that, he's playing Fight Night on the 360. I then have to man the register, gut games, put them back on the shelves, talk to customers and greet them with, "Hi welcome to Gamestop! Did you bring in your trades?" even if they have nothing in their hands. On top of that, the manager still get after me if I'm not up to par with reservations and subscriptions. I'm a good worker, I never openly complain and I'll do whatever needs to be done for the company (whoever it is,) but these new policies are a joke. I have a feeling I'm going to be working my last week this week.

To sum up Gamestop is this: it is retail work mixed with telemarketing. I feel bad when I have to push crap like the new Driver or some other game for preorder. I won't, however, lie to the customer about if a game is good or not when they are actually buying it.
It's never openly said, but your preorders and subscriptions basically decide how many hours you will be working.

bread's done
Back