When did the Final Fantasy games get so cheap?

DaMonStEr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
$14-$17 sealed for FFIX and FFVIII

Are these worth picking up as collectors items now? Or do you think the value is going to stay where its at?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Greatest Hits versions of those games have been in print for ages; there are about a bajillion copies floating around by now (I'm assuming that VII was a typo and you meant VIII). Same goes for Origins, Anthology, and Chronicles. Bottom line, only buy them if you want to play them. Now, if you can find a black label copy of any of those, that might be worth collecting.

Some of these games have always been pretty cheap(like origins, chronicles, etc) but the reason sealed copies of 8 & 9 are pretty low right now are more than likely due to the wherehouse sale a couple weeks ago that sold these games for like $5 each. Now all the flippers are putting them on ebay and such so the market is over-saturated. I'm probably gonna jump in on a FFIX... kinda sucks that I missed out on the cheaper price but even at $15 or so for a sealed GH it seems pretty decent.

Do you think its more worth it to buy a sealed GH for $15 or a used original version for the same price?

For collective purposes

Personally, I'd rather buy sealed copies, the Greatest Hits packaging doesn't make any difference to me. I actually bought Origins and Chronicles from Amazon a while back to add to the collection (already had old black label copies of the others from when they were originally released).

The last Final Fantasy game worth buying was Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES. FF7 was crap, and the later games were mediocre at best.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']The last Final Fantasy game worth buying was Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES. FF7 was crap, and the later games were mediocre at best.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that VI was by far the best- VII is crap? Sorry, you're wrong. It is over rated beyond belief, but a great game. FFX is by far the best 3D Final Fantasy.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Where are you finding these? Amazon? I don't own either, and I don't really care if my PS1 games are GH or not.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Amazon.

I just picked these up, didn't realize they'd come down in price so much

ipod.gif

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']The last Final Fantasy game worth buying was Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES. FF7 was crap, and the later games were mediocre at best.[/QUOTE]
IX, mediocre? I THINK NOT!

[quote name='DaMonStEr']$14-$17 sealed for FFIX and FFVIII

Are these worth picking up as collectors items now? Or do you think the value is going to stay where its at?[/QUOTE]

Walmart had them on their website dirt cheap last year, I havent checked it lately though.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Walmart had them on their website dirt cheap last year, I havent checked it lately though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and I'm glad this thread was helpful to a few CAG's as well.

FYI FFVII was released as a download on the PSN for $10 so likely those that were hoarding are trying to get more than that out of their games before VIII and IX come out as downloads for about the same price.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI FFVII was released as a download on the PSN for $10 so likely those that were hoarding are trying to get more than that out of their games before VIII and IX come out as downloads for about the same price.[/QUOTE]

Umm that has nothing to do with it. 8,9,anthology,etc have been available new from amazon for about 5 years now so they are just cheap because they are still being printed.

FF7 has been the only PS1 Final Fantasy game fetching insane prices (with possibly the exception of tactics but even that wasn't as bad)

The other FF games have NEVER been worth alot.

[quote name='Brian9824']Umm that has nothing to do with it. 8,9,anthology,etc have been available new from amazon for about 5 years now so they are just cheap because they are still being printed.

FF7 has been the only PS1 Final Fantasy game fetching insane prices (with possibly the exception of tactics but even that wasn't as bad)

The other FF games have NEVER been worth alot.[/QUOTE]

Black label Final Fantasy X (sealed) have been going for up to $250 on EBay over the last few months.

Well I did say PS1 final fantasy games, and you can buy a sealed copy of FFX for $18 off amazon.

I'm not getting into the whole collecting BS. FF7 was the only game where even opened GH copies were selling for $50+ for PS1.

[quote name='Brian9824']Well I did say PS1 final fantasy games, and you can buy a sealed copy of FFX for $18 off amazon.

I'm not getting into the whole collecting BS. FF7 was the only game where even opened GH copies were selling for $50+ for PS1.[/QUOTE]

My mistake, you did say the PS1 FF games. I'm willing to bet the Amazon FFX is probably Greatest Hits.

I'm sure it is, but a game isn't rare or expensive when you can still buy sealed copies for $18. If certain collectors want to make a game seem rare by buying particular sealed copies for $200 thats there business. I'll enjoy my cheap games :)

Does anyone know if Final Fantasy Origins Black Label has been reprinted? I found a copy at my local Frys today and I thought it was really weird to see a copy on the shelf like that. Anyone heard anything or did I just get really lucky?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a decent price, I'd reocmmend buying it to play, unless you have played 1 and 2 elsewhere. They were very enjoyable. I don't think that would fetch much more than $40 or so, not counting fees.

[quote name='Foosil']Does anyone know if Final Fantasy Origins Black Label has been reprinted? I found a copy at my local Frys today and I thought it was really weird to see a copy on the shelf like that. Anyone heard anything or did I just get really lucky?[/QUOTE]

Buy it and then don't open it. Black label copies will NEVER be reprinted, so yes, you got lucky. Do not take the previous posters advice and keep it for yourself. You can get a used copy of the game on eBay for less than $10. You could sell that sealed black label copy for $50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Final-Fantasy-O...ames?hash=item19b4ed8c38&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

bread's done
Back