When did the Microsoft Trackball Optical become rare?

Gara

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
My trackball optical lost one of its contact points so I went looking for a replacement but they seem to have gone completely out of production! I looked on ebay, the optical and explorer are now going for way above the original retail.

Anyone know when these stopped being made and why? From what I have seen there hasn't been alot made in the past 10 years in the trackball market, so it's not like they have been replaced by something better.

Anyways, it looks like I am going to be calling every hole in the wall computer place in town trying to find one. Anyone know of a retailer that might still carry the optical or explorer?

Picture of my optical. There used to be a microsoft logo on the bottom but that was rubbed off long ago. The plastic also used to be a little rough but it has been made baby smooth after all these years.

I myself use the same trackball explorer for about 8 years now and yeah...they discontinued it a few years ago.
I even use one at my work place. :)

I have the 4 button MS trackball mouse and was thinking of buying a new one since its getting pretty old and I like to have a backup just in case. To my horror I found out that they are going for 140$ and I was just as shocked as you are to find out.
Theres really no substitute for the MS ones since they are built incredibly well and I will weep when this one finally dies.
I dont think I could go back to a regular mouse and I'm not into paying 140 for something as mundane as a mouse that originally cost 30$ Computer parts are suppose to get cheaper damnit, not more expensive :( Stupid scalpers.

[quote name='ChaoticClimax']My buddy has the same mouse thing, I fucking hated it. He swears by the thing though.[/QUOTE]

Same deal with me... a buddy of mine loves his but everytime I have to use it (and I have to, a lot, since I usually fix problems with his computer), I try to move it like a regular mouse. He even has an extra one that he carries around in his backpack so that he doesn't have to use a mouse around campus.

I don't get why people are so attached to certain types of mice. Track ball or not...

[quote name='Vinny']Same deal with me... a buddy of mine loves his but everytime I have to use it (and I have to, a lot, since I usually fix problems with his computer), I try to move it like a regular mouse. He even has an extra one that he carries around in his backpack so that he doesn't have to use a mouse around campus.

I don't get why people are so attached to certain types of mice. Track ball or not...[/quote]

Probably because he is used to moving his fingers, not his whole hand...

As someone previously said I simply can't go back to a normal mouse after all these years on a trackball. I love them! The good news is that after calling all the places in town I finally tracked down a store that still carried the trackball optical.

They actually had about 15 of them all stacked up and were marked 24.95 each. They were dusty as all hell but I picked up 2 and could not be more happy. I'm still on the hunt for the old trackball explorer though. Considering the insane ebay price it is unlikely I will find any though.

I saw some logitech models while I was out but they just don't feel the same. I also could not give up the extra side buttons. Too used to them!

bread's done
Back