When is Fry's going to give up and clear out the HD-DVD's?

mva5580

CAGiversary!
I have a Fry's Electronics close to me, and they still have an absolute TON of HD-DVD movies, and I would say at least 20 360 HD-DVD drives on the shelf. And who knows how many more in back-stock. The drives are still 39.99, and the movies are still in the 7-11.99 range. Some are cheaper, but not many.

I'm amazed at how much HD-DVD stock they still have yet they refuse to just go into total close-out mode to get rid of the stuff. By this point I really thought the drives would be $20 at most, and movies like 3.99 or lower. I would LOVE to go there and stock up, but I'm waiting, along with many others I'm guessing considering the huge amount of stock they still have, to start buying them up. W

What are they waiting for? They are the ONLY commercial retailer that has HD-DVD's anymore, hell retailers that take in used dvd's around me don't even take HD-DVD anymore. I just don't get why they're being so stubborn with the prices.

I'm tired of them using up ad space on HD-DVD Movies in their Friday ads. They could be advertising cheap DVDs instead.

I think comparing CD's to HD-DVD's is nowhere close to a viable comparison.

Come on CD's are still actively produced by the recording industry and is still their preferred method of people buying their products considering how much more you pay for them and all the copyright stuff involved with downloading music, etc. And show me a retailer that DOESN'T carry CD's. Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. It's not like CD's aren't in production anymore. Where as HD-DVD's are no longer in production at all, and Fry's is the ONLY store which actually has any on the shelves. That's no where close to an equal comparison.

they still support audio dvd, it is not going away. Plus Fry is one store that is not concern about store pace.

[quote name='mva5580']I have a Fry's Electronics close to me, and they still have an absolute TON of HD-DVD movies, and I would say at least 20 360 HD-DVD drives on the shelf. And who knows how many more in back-stock. The drives are still 39.99, and the movies are still in the 7-11.99 range. Some are cheaper, but not many.

I'm amazed at how much HD-DVD stock they still have yet they refuse to just go into total close-out mode to get rid of the stuff. By this point I really thought the drives would be $20 at most, and movies like 3.99 or lower. I would LOVE to go there and stock up, but I'm waiting, along with many others I'm guessing considering the huge amount of stock they still have, to start buying them up. W

What are they waiting for? They are the ONLY commercial retailer that has HD-DVD's anymore, hell retailers that take in used dvd's around me don't even take HD-DVD anymore. I just don't get why they're being so stubborn with the prices.[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess there is no way they are going to sell the HD-DVD's for any cheaper. What will most likely happen is they will either be returned to the vendor for credit and then probably destroyed, or a company that deals in close-outs will buy the whole lot of them for really cheap and they MIGHT end up in dollar stores across the country. If you want them I would suggest buying them now, they aren't in the business of giving things away.

Yeah unfortunately I've thought that may be the case myself, it just sucks that they won't close them out.

I seriously cannot believe how many copies of Heroes Season 1 they have. I bet it's 50 copies, at least.

I'm in Arizona, but I'm not surprised that it's like this in more than one place, at all.

And they have them literally right at the front of the store as you walk in. It's not like they're secluded at the back of the store where no one sees them. The rack they have them on looks no different now than it did in August. Or earlier even.

They put them on "sale" every once in a while, with them marked down a buck or two from the sticker price. But I just don't understand why they're holding out so long before they do something to get rid of them entirely.

Send them back to a vendor, clearance them out, something. It's just crazy to see such a large amount of a product that isn't even in production anymore. Put them down to 2-3.99 each and the drive under 19.99 and I'd go buy a ton tomorrow. Happily.

It'd be nice if they ended up in stores like big lots that buy over stock form other places. If they return them to the vendor, i'd think the vendor would at least try to do something with them.

I actually just went to Fry's today and picked up another HD-DVD, Bruce Almighty. They keep having these $4.99 sales and that's when I pick up one or two.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them mark them ALL down to that price or lower and just blow 'em out. I'd def pick up a few more to wrap up my collection.

I think Fry's is the only major retailer selling a decent selection of HD-DVDs. My guess is that they got a sweet deal from the movie studios and they are trying to make a good profit out of them. I only buy HD-DVDs when they are $7 or less.

From time to time Ive seen the Austin Tx Fry's have Hd Dvds for 5 and under..hell they had the xbox 360 hd player for 25 once.

I don't have any problem with how they've been putting them out. I don't understand why people are bitching and complaining when you are getting HD content for so cheap. I picked up all the Kubrick films on HD this way.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] I don't understand why people are bitching and complaining when you are getting HD content for so cheap. [/quote]

I agree with this comment.

It seems that some people want all HD-DVDs for $3. Come on people, regular DVD movies are still $20 or more! I understand HD-DVD is dead but don't demand $3 movies :roll:

I love how someone coming online and trying to have mature conversation is immediately deemed as "bitching and moaning" by the over-exaggeration internet crowd. It never fails, I swear to God. It's near IMPOSSIBLE to have a discussion online without somebody eventually coming into it and deciding to insult the person who originally created the topic. Amazing, really.

And I really don't see how this is an unreasonable topic when you consider, AGAIN, that HD-DVD's are no longer in production and are obviously not selling, at all. As has been stated before, Fry's is the ONLY RETAILER in the country that still carries HD-DVD's. The only one. And they STILL can't sell them. But go ahead, keep rolling your eyes at me, tell me I'm a whiner, and everything else. Heaven forbid you actually just try to have decent conversation without immediately resorting to insults.

[quote name='mva5580']I love how someone coming online and trying to have mature conversation is immediately deemed as "bitching and moaning" by the over-exaggeration internet crowd. It never fails, I swear to God. It's near IMPOSSIBLE to have a discussion online without somebody eventually coming into it and deciding to insult the person who originally created the topic. Amazing, really.

And I really don't see how this is an unreasonable topic when you consider, AGAIN, that HD-DVD's are no longer in production and are obviously not selling, at all. As has been stated before, Fry's is the ONLY RETAILER in the country that still carries HD-DVD's. The only one. And they STILL can't sell them. But go ahead, keep rolling your eyes at me, tell me I'm a whiner, and everything else. Heaven forbid you actually just try to have decent conversation without immediately resorting to insults.[/quote]

My Fry's is selling them fine and they are beginning to run out. They've removed the section that they previously had and are now relegated to a dump bin of straight crap titles that wouldn't sell on standard DVD.

[quote name='mva5580']I love how someone coming online and trying to have mature conversation is immediately deemed as "bitching and moaning" by the over-exaggeration internet crowd. It never fails, I swear to God. It's near IMPOSSIBLE to have a discussion online without somebody eventually coming into it and deciding to insult the person who originally created the topic. Amazing, really.

And I really don't see how this is an unreasonable topic when you consider, AGAIN, that HD-DVD's are no longer in production and are obviously not selling, at all. As has been stated before, Fry's is the ONLY RETAILER in the country that still carries HD-DVD's. The only one. And they STILL can't sell them. But go ahead, keep rolling your eyes at me, tell me I'm a whiner, and everything else. Heaven forbid you actually just try to have decent conversation without immediately resorting to insults.[/quote]

If you weren't a whiner before (and I didn't really think you were)...you are now after this post. :lol:

[quote name='lawdood']If you weren't a whiner before (and I didn't really think you were)...you are now after this post. :lol:[/quote]

+1 :applause:

[quote name='lawdood']If you weren't a whiner before (and I didn't really think you were)...you are now after this post. :lol:
smile.gif
[/quote]
Lol, nice one :p

And I really don't see how this is an unreasonable topic when you consider, AGAIN, that HD-DVD's are no longer in production and are obviously not selling, at all. As has been stated before, Fry's is the ONLY RETAILER in the country that still carries HD-DVD's. The only one. And they STILL can't sell them. But go ahead, keep rolling your eyes at me, tell me I'm a whiner, and everything else. Heaven forbid you actually just try to have decent conversation without immediately resorting to insults.[/QUOTE]

They are still selling. Unlike UMDs, HD DVDs continue to sell.

[quote name='GizmoGC']They are still selling. Unlike UMDs, HD DVDs continue to sell.[/QUOTE]

Yes exactly, HD-DVD is in a unique situation right now as in it's not an "out-dated" format like laser disc or VHS is. It is on par or sometimes even better than blu-ray , mandatory TrueHD soundtracks etc. There is quite a large list of movies on HD-DVD that are yet to appear on blu-ray. People still have the players and people are still buying them, me included. Most I can pick up cheap, but there are a few which are still going for around 30 bucks or more on ebay/amazon. Just because no new movies are going to appear on the format doesn't mean that the movies out on HD-DVD have no value and will be given away by stores.

[quote name='deluxeg']Yes exactly, HD-DVD is in a unique situation right now as in it's not an "out-dated" format like laser disc or VHS is. It is on par or sometimes even better than blu-ray , mandatory TrueHD soundtracks etc. There is quite a large list of movies on HD-DVD that are yet to appear on blu-ray. People still have the players and people are still buying them, me included. Most I can pick up cheap, but there are a few which are still going for around 30 bucks or more on ebay/amazon. Just because no new movies are going to appear on the format doesn't mean that the movies out on HD-DVD have no value and will be given away by stores.[/QUOTE]

So far the only HD DVD I have replaced with a Blu-ray has been Serenity - simply for more special features. Everything else remains HD DVD. DD+ compared to TrueHD/DTS MA is undetectable unless you have an expensive sound system and golden ears, which many do not. I'm perfectly happy holding onto my $5 HD DVDs vs $20 BDs.

If I were to find a cheap xbox hd player I might take advantage of some of the prices they have on hd-dvds considering, as someone else said, theyre cheaper, and better, than reg dvds.

I hope they get rid of all of them for $5 a pop, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon
Unlike most retailers, Fry's actually owns everything they have in the store

Not immediately-Fry's is one of the last B&M retailers left, that is helping clear out the large qty of Universal titles that remains. I just saw an inventory list a few weeks ago ( I work for a distributor), that had close to 1 million Universal HD DVD titles on it. This was not necessarily meant for Fry's, but it's an indication, that at least in the short term, there is still stock to be cleared.

This very thread is the reason why Fry's doesn't drop the prices. Clearly YOU (and others) still want HD DVDs. As long as there is demand they have no reason to drop the prices any lower. As it is they are like 70% off.

bread's done
Back