when should I buy a PS2?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
I have had my PS2 since late 2001 and since then have built a library of games that I will continue to play thoughout the years. Because my PS3 is not backwards compatible with PS2 games, I would like to eventually buy a new PS2 so I can continue to play my old games when my current PS2 finally gives out. There is nothing wrong with it yet, but eventually it is sure to go out. I want to have a NEW system ready for that time.

The MSRP on a PS2 is still $130. I would imagine that will drop to $99 eventually, but of course no one knows. The Xbox never reached $99 and today cannot be bought from retail stores.

Will Playstation 2 systems continue to be available from retail stores in the future? Is there any speculation as to when a brand new PS2 can no longer be found? If I wait longer to buy one, will I be more likely to pick one up for $99 new or will I be more likely to see they have been discontinued an no longer available from retailers? I know they are cheap when used, but I want a new one.

Still plenty around here.

My personal opinion is that if we don't see a price drop on the PS2 by the summer then it's never going to happen although you will eventually start to see them being clearanced out.

As I recall, it was big news when Sony finally pulled the plug on PS1 production. Given the longevity of the PS2, I assume it'll be a similarly big event when it comes to an end. May as well wait and see if the price comes down in the meantime.

Yeah, they're not going to disappear without warning. Just keep playing until your current system dies, or until it becomes obvious that the window for a new one is closing. They're still selling pretty well, so I can't imagine they will be discontinued anytime soon.

Keep your eyes opened and check the deals section. More than once I've seen slim ps2 deals for $99. There was a white Sing Star bundle for $99 a while back.

If I were you I'd pick up a new ps2 for $99 when available and keep it sealed until you need it.

Sony will still be making the ps2 for a while, but I doubt that it will ever be cheaper than $99 new, so I feel that's a good price to get it at.

I purchased my second one for $199 seven years ago, figure it was worth it then, and whatever it is new its worth it now. Still the system to beat imo...

[quote name='Puffa469']
If I were you I'd pick up a new ps2 for $99 when available and keep it sealed until you need it.
[/quote]

OP should at least check to see if new PS2 works before putting it away. Why risk finding out he has a bum unit years down the line when warranty or store return policy is long past.

With 140 million sold worldwide, I figure it'll be available new or used for many years to come, considering how easy it is to buy other older systems in good shape today.

[quote name='Puffa469']
[/quote]

That's what I'm doing too. My launch unit still works but I'd get another just in case since I have so many PS2 games that still need to be played. :bouncy:

The PS2 is not going to disappear without warning. I wouldn't even worry about it until you actually need the replacement unit, or until Sony announces that they are ceasing production. That probably won't happen for at least another couple of years, and there are likely to be further price drops and hardware improvements in the interim.

I'm looking to buy a PS2 again just for my PS2 and PS1 games, for when my PS3 dead, hopefully not. I would just wait it out, or wait for a deal when stores discount the system to less than $100. Last year my Best Buy had the a special for the system for around $70 and the Singstar bundle version for $90. Eventually it'll go down in price or they will be a clearance you can take advantage of.

I wouldn't compare it to the xbox since they're from the same generation of consoles, but MS immediately abandon the xbox when the 360 came out, I don't think it officially ever went below the $179.99 price point, since I was waiting to get one of those for playing Shenmue 2 and a few other games.

Honestly, many of the new games coming out for the PS2 are just cheap versions of next-gen games. Take Rock Band, GH:WT, and Madden for example. They are still coming out, but have a lot of features gutted. So I'd say you probably won't be able to buy PS2 games soon.

I'm sure PS2s will be widely available through 2009 and likely 2010. They are Sony's cash cow, and aren't going anywhere.

They are definitely their cash cow. In fact, I saw on Hard News (ScrewAttack) today that the PS2 has sold 50 million consoles in just North America.

I don't think Sony will be stopping production anytime soon. You can bet the PS2 makes money for them at $129 and they just revised the internals yet again. With the failure of the PS3, they need all the money they can get from the PS2.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Get a used one off of CAG or Gamestop[/quote]

The worse advice anyone could a fellow CAGer. Gamestop peddles used, worn and borderline ready to break systems. I would never buy a used console or accessories from Gamestop.

If the OP wants his PS2 to last just buy a new one. :cool:

bread's done
Back