When X-Play was Extended Play

xplay is all about morgan legs....webb i mean morgan webb. id be surprised if it was still on tv their game reviews were always weeks after the game had been released but i liked alot of their skits. especially the yugioh gang that first one was hilarious.

Nice worm.

Damn Shenmue 2 was 7 years ago? I remember Shenmue like it was yesterday, I played the shit out of that...but I was in the 8th grade at the time I think...

Love extended play. I even went to the Metrion where the show took place. Great show and arcade. Its a shame what Tech TV has been turned into.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Our holiday picks in 2002. I'm the ninja in the video.
[/QUOTE]
Whattt!??!! Dude, you were in Shinobi? SWEET!

[quote name='Malik112099']CRT monitors and TVs!?!?!?!? What kind of horrible existence did we live in!??!?!??![/QUOTE]
I know! Insane. I always wondered how my past self would react if I could travel in the future and play with all the crap I have now. Mind would asplode.

Best time of X-Play was Morgan and Adam in San Fransico/very early LA. Canadian Guy, Ratty, the Yu-gi-oh Gang, Screaming/Shirtless/Billy interns, Drunk Link...good times.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Best time of X-Play was Morgan and Adam in San Fransico/very early LA. Canadian Guy, Ratty, the Yu-gi-oh Gang, Screaming/Shirtless/Billy interns, Drunk Link...good times.[/QUOTE]

drunk link was funny too. wasnt the chick playing zelda in that skit the comic book chick from atack of the show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWg3Guq2H5Q

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']What do you do now?[/QUOTE]

I've stayed in the industry where my latest work has been in video production for several game companies, as well as anime companies like VIZ Media and Bandai. I've also done some translation consulting in Japan.

My most exposed work lately was through Examiner.com, which has been a great opportunity to continue staying in touch with game companies, especially when reviewing stuff and covering press events:

http://www.examiner.com/x-13269-SF-Gaming-Lifestyle-Examiner

You might have seen some of my download code giveaways on CAG, and I definitely plan another one next week. One of my recent successful articles was a live-blog of my Uncharted 2 playthrough a week before the game came out. I tried a similar thing when I got Borderlands on Monday, but lucrative work came in and distracted me. Come to think of it, if anyone wants to help me finish my Borderlands playthrough this weekend, it would be most appreciated, and I'll throw in an XBLA/PSN code to one person. Gamertag: Circle Of Vice. I would not feel comfortable writing my review unless I at least get to Level 20 and beat the first two chapters.

[quote name='lokizz']drunk link was funny too. wasnt the chick playing zelda in that skit the comic book chick from atack of the show?[/QUOTE]

Yes that is Blair Butler. She was just a writer on XPlay at the time.

As of Christmas, Drunk Link was still there (he was in the seasons greetings video) as was the big fat guy originally introduced as the Yuna/Cupid cosplays.

I first watched Extended Play right before it switched from ZDTV to Tech TV (was home for Christmas and found it on my parents DirecTV.) I did like the skits you mentioned plus the Bob and Steve machinma ones, but hated the ones that had Adam staple his crotch or whatever.

I have really enjoyed their transition to a more serious show since Jan. 08, but I do wish they would bring back a few more skits since they hardly do them anymore.

NOLF2! I loved that game. I'm gonna have to track down a copy.

OP, do you still recommend Shinobi? My local GameCrazy has 10 copies, and I might buy it.

G4 was actually decent about 5 years ago. Now it's a a huge waste of time. I can't believe they did away with shows like Electric Playground...and that show where they talked about computers all the time. Now it's nothing but Cops, Cheaters, and god awful movies.

Oh god! I totally forgot about that Britney Spears game. My ex-wife played it all the time. Thank god that's out of my life.

[quote name='lokizz']xplay is all about morgan legs....webb i mean morgan webb. id be surprised if it was still on tv their game reviews were always weeks after the game had been released but i liked alot of their skits. especially the yugioh gang that first one was hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I like Kristin Holt's legs better personally. Never could get into Morgan. ;)

[quote name='SuxoR']wow that videos pretty awesome haha ahh the good ol days of gaming...[/QUOTE]

It scares me to hear you refer to 2002 as the 'Good Ole Days'.

I feel old.

I feel asleep.

zzzzzzz

[quote name='Puffa469']It scares me to hear you refer to 2002 as the 'Good Ole Days'.

I feel old.

I feel asleep.

zzzzzzz[/QUOTE]

Nice Metal Gear reference. :)

[quote name='LeRoy']I like Kristin Holt's legs better personally. Never could get into Morgan. ;)[/QUOTE]

holt had some amazing legs too definelty the only real reason to watch cheat. and who could forget diane mizota holy shit one of the finest asian chicks on this earth.

Morgan seems to get more and more irritating as time goes on. She reminds me of brook shields in that toothpaste commercial too. (If that is a good thing for you maybe you might want to get yourself checked out)

I remember one night of drinking back in 2002 or 3 me and some buddies discovered the channel. They could only stay on till around 2am and then infomercials till like 9am. Shows like:

Arena — a digital sports-highlights game show
Filter
— a top-ten countdown voted by viewers
Blister
— focused on action/adventure game news
Cinematech
— described as a showcase for the best high-end digital art
Sweat
— focused on sports game news
Cheat!
- tips on games
Portal
— focused on multiplayer online games
Pulse
— news on the video-game industry
Judgment Day
— "two video-game gurus will opine on the latest entries"

Isn't Sessler and Webb the only ones left from TechTV?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']NOLF2! I loved that game. I'm gonna have to track down a copy.

OP, do you still recommend Shinobi? My local GameCrazy has 10 copies, and I might buy it.[/QUOTE]

That's a good question. I honestly don't know. At the time it was a graphically inferior version of Devil May Cry, but at least you were able to rotate the camera freely, which was a big plus for me. If you do take a chance on it, make it a habit to hold the lock-on button 95% of the time (one of the shoulder buttons). Doesn't Gamestop have a one-time exchance policy on used games?

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Our holiday picks in 2002. I'm the ninja in the video.[/QUOTE]
Gosh.
I actually still have VHS full of Extended Play episodes.
This episode along with several other shows from 2001/2002 are in it.
I think I also saw you in a segment focusing on Easter Eggs in videogames.

[quote name='Zeranium']Gosh.
I actually still have VHS full of Extended Play episodes.
This episode along with several other shows from 2001/2002 are in it.
I think I also saw you in a segment focusing on Easter Eggs in videogames.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I remember Ryan produced that segment, though I remember helping him find Easter Egg footage, but I'm surprised that segment had on-camera footage...

[quote name='bluedotlounge'] Doesn't Gamestop have a one-time exchance policy on used games?[/QUOTE]

Full refund or exchange for any reason within 7 days on used games.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Morgan seems to get more and more irritating as time goes on. She reminds me of brook shields in that toothpaste commercial too. (If that is a good thing for you maybe you might want to get yourself checked out)[/QUOTE]
Yea, I always hate that fake girl gamer thing that she does. When she gets overly excited about ONE particular thing, because it is the only thing she has information about - so feels it is necessary to constantly spew out knowledge about the subject to show she does ACTUALLY play games.

I remember before Morgan Webb was on Extended Play, she looked like she smoked weed all day. She would look rough on The Screensavers, especially in the eyes. She always looked like she just woke up.

Have you heard her "Morgan Minute" or when she does commentary? I don't remember what it was for but she didn't make any fucking sense at all. It seemed like she was on something though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I remember before Morgan Webb was on Extended Play, she looked like she smoked weed all day. She would look rough on The Screensavers, especially in the eyes. She always looked like she just woke up.[/QUOTE]

yeah back when she was on screenavers she was a tough lookin bird guess with xply they upped the style budget some ( for her anyway not so much for adam). think back further i wonder what happened to that chick who had those nude pics of her released i remember when that was a big deal. Kat i think her name was.

This thread brings back memories....good X-Play...Judgement Day....g4TV.com....Late Screensavers/Early attack of the Show! with Kevin Rose, Sarah Lane, and Brendan Moran....

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']This thread brings back memories....good X-Play...Judgement Day....g4TV.com....Late Screensavers/Early attack of the Show! with Kevin Rose, Sarah Lane, and Brendan Moran....[/QUOTE]
fuck G4. It was all about Techtv. I used to watch that channel exclusively.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']fuck G4. It was all about Techtv. I used to watch that channel exclusively.[/QUOTE]
Speaks the truth. G4 was a joke. TechTV is where its at.

[quote name='lokizz']think back further i wonder what happened to that chick who had those nude pics of her released i remember when that was a big deal. Kat i think her name was.[/QUOTE]

Cat Schwartz. She accidentally posted her boobies because she doesn't know how to Photoshop. I remember that one fondly.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']....Late Screensavers/Early attack of the Show! with Kevin Rose, Sarah Lane, and Brendan Moran....[/QUOTE]

Sorry, what parallel dimension did you emerge from where those episodes were actually good? Granted, they're better than the schlock that they're putting out now, but nothing beats the old episodes of TSS. I loved every Download of the Day, I learned new things from Leo's Boot Camp. I never missed an episode. I used to race home from school so I wouldn't miss a second. I've never had that feeling with ATOS, except when they have a particularity awesome guest, like Tim and Eric or The Aquabats.

Extended Play? pffttt, it was all about Gamespot TV with Kate Botello and Adam Sessler, thats right, Sessler was second bananas and Botello got second billing.

I don't see todays X-Play much different thanmthe x-play with morgan webb before the merger.

I loved TechTV but it started going the last year or so before the merger, as sad as I was when the merger happened its also true that I didn't watch TechTV that much anymore. Also G4 got too much hate after the merger, I was one of them but in reality it wasn't as bad as we made it out, it was NO Techtv but it was still more kinda interesting channel.

[quote name='evildeadjedi'] Shows like:

Arena — a digital sports-highlights game show
Filter
— a top-ten countdown voted by viewers
Blister
— focused on action/adventure game news
Cinematech
— described as a showcase for the best high-end digital art
Sweat
— focused on sports game news
Cheat!
- tips on games
Portal
— focused on multiplayer online games
Pulse
— news on the video-game industry
Judgment Day
— "two video-game gurus will opine on the latest entries"
cagus.smile.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Cripes jedi that list brings me back. As someone mentioned above, 2002, old? That makes me feel old.

I was a big fan of it when I was like...8.

Frankly, this is another case of matured tastes and rose tinted glasses. Adam and Morgan are cute though, they just need writers that can reach the aging 21-35 demographic.

bread's done
Back