When you apply for a job at gamestop, how long does it take?

omegaweapon7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
man, I gave in my application to several stores like gamestop and CVS about 3 weeks ago, and STILL no answer. How long does it usually take?

also, any tips on where to look for a summer job?

[quote name='omegaweapon7']man, I gave in my application to several stores like gamestop and CVS about 3 weeks ago, and STILL no answer. How long does it usually take?

also, any tips on where to look for a summer job?[/quote]

Try Craigslist.

If they haven't called, assume they're not interested. Three weeks is more than enough time for someone to contact you if they want you, especially for retail jobs.

I don't know if New York's got anything like this, but Michigan has a government-sponsored job site. I found my summer job there, so I'd suggest that route if it's an option. If you're in college, your school might offer the same kind of program.

If New York's job market is anything like ours, though, you're going to have a hell of a time finding ANY job, let alone a good one. Best of luck.

honestly, Gamestop probably put your app in what I used to call a "Perpetual Pile of Misfortune" of like 80-100 apps that they MIGHT go through when they need a few temp people, like during the holidays

[quote name='ZForce']honestly, Gamestop probably put your app in what I used to call a "Perpetual Pile of Misfortune" of like 80-100 apps that they MIGHT go through when they need a few temp people, like during the holidays[/quote]

Hate to say it, but this is absolutely correct. I was an EB Games manager out of college and received DOZENS of these things in a month. I basically made a "yay or nay" judgement in that minute of interaction I had with them while they requested and brought back an application. If they didn't win me over handing it in, I didn't call them.

Remember when you apply somewhere that your interview starts when you walk in the door, even just as a shopper who decides to request an application.

Yeah, you probably won't get it. When I got hired on at Gamestop a ways back (and I hated it, by the way) we used to get tons of apps, and my friend (who is the ASM now) still has a huge pile of them. There are a few issues with the apps:

1. There's a ton of them, as previously mentioned, so if you're fresh looking for your first job, don't have high expectations.
2. You get judged by appearance. Sorry, but it's true. Don't walk in dirty, or looking like a jerk.
3. Girls get preference. IT's a gamestore, which means nerd heaven. A girl with a nice set of tits is GREAT for subs and reserves for obvious reasons, and since most of the employees are usually male at these places, they'll hire female when they can (again, for obvious reasons).

I say fuck it. Get a job outside on a Golf course, or something.

I always check back w/ the company I have put an application into, but not more than once a week. By letting them know you want to work for them, thay will be more willing to hire you. Also read up on interviewing tips, because it really pays off. When I interview I find out more about the person than about why he wants the job, because that can tell you alot about him/her. There is nothing worse that an interview and the applicant is just like I love games, and that is all I do, all day/all night. That tells me that he is lazy and has no motivation and I would not hire him. And do not get me wrong I want my associates to play and know games, but they also need to know that not all customers are obsessed gamers like ourselves. If you can get that interview, and be sure to read up on good interviewing skills, I hope you have good luck. I started out just like you 11 years ago looking for my first job and to this day if I had an interview I have had a job offer, good luck!

if you don't know someone, forget it.

who cares though-- you can find a better job with better pay and less bullshit.

look outside of retail and you'll get some better life experience.

Here are my tips for getting a job:

1. Get a girlfriend whose dad is president of a small company

2. Not get a job since her dad won't let you work together

3. Take over for said girlfriend when she goes to summer school and can't work anymore

That's what I did; works like a charm.

bread's done
Back