where are the japanese developers?

sparklecopy

CAGiversary!
Seriously, what happened to Capcom, Konami, Square, Namco, Sega, and all the Japanese Publishers for PS3? I remember they were out of the gate with titles on Playstation 2. It's almost a year now and Capcom and Konami have nothing on PS3. What the hell? It's all whiteboy Gaijin games by Electronic Arts and weirdass Eurocentric "feels like french people made this" games from Ubisoft. All these first Person Shooters. Is it me or have tastes changed on Video game systems? I remember when Street Fighter 2 was the reason why people bought Super Nintendo Systems now it's Halo or a Halo clone or a clone of halo 2. I need me some japanese games goddamnit. I don't see Gran Turismo, FF, Devil may cry, resident evil, or Metal gear for another year. Sega, where is your AM2 creative department? where is my groundbreaking games like chu chu rocket or Rez? Have the Japanese fallen? are they only going to develop for wii and Nintendo DS?

Virtua Fighter 5
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4

but, lots of developers are waiting for more PS3s to be sold.

Japanese games in general have failed to evolve as much as other games. Rarely are any of them groundbreaking and even when they do something great (like Resident Evil 4) it's missing a lot of simple things that are in most Western games.

Your example of Street Fighter 2 definitely emphasizes my point, fighting games definitely aren't evolving (especially 2D fighting games).

I think Sega has made the right choice by mainly publishing Western games now.

[quote name='zewone']Virtua Fighter 5
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4

but, lots of developers are waiting for more PS3s to be sold.[/QUOTE]
my point exactly, only vf5 is actually out. It will be another year until mgs4 and dmc 4. How many titles did capcom and konami have on ps2? a whole lot! what's happened. Did they wait for a whole bunch of ps2's to be soldn then? I heard the ps3 is selling more than the ps2 in the same time frame (according to sony) so what' s the dealio?

I'm pretty sure DMC4 is coming out this fall and MGS4 will be here anywhere from Jan. to Mar. 08, so it's not that far.

The PS2 really didn't have a whole lot in its first year either, IIRC. Although, the following xmas after the PS2 launched looks like it will be much better than what the PS3 will have this xmas (mainly due to the lack of MGS, GTA, and DMC).

[quote name='zewone']I'm pretty sure DMC4 is coming out this fall and MGS4 will be here anywhere from Jan. to Mar. 08, so it's not that far.[/QUOTE]

I believe DMC got pushed back to 2008.

they are too busy making japanese games like earth defense force, senko no rondo and idol master for Xbox 360

but if you are a PS3 owner next year should be a lot better

I was an early adopter of the PS2, getting it in January 2001, and I can assure you that NOTHING good came out for it until Devil May Cry in September/October 2001.

We already got VF5, there's a new Sega Rally coming next month (European-developed though), plus MGS, DMC, and Soul Calibur are coming out in the first quarter of 2008.

I think this is just a matter of AAA titles this generation taking longer to make. Tokyo Game Show in a few weeks should reveal another wave of titles in development for holiday 2008.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Seriously, what happened to Capcom, Konami, Square, Namco, Sega, and all the Japanese Publishers for PS3? I remember they were out of the gate with titles on Playstation 2. It's almost a year now and Capcom and Konami have nothing on PS3. What the hell? It's all whiteboy Gaijin games by Electronic Arts and weirdass Eurocentric "feels like french people made this" games from Ubisoft. All these first Person Shooters. Is it me or have tastes changed on Video game systems? I remember when Street Fighter 2 was the reason why people bought Super Nintendo Systems now it's Halo or a Halo clone or a clone of halo 2. I need me some japanese games goddamnit. I don't see Gran Turismo, FF, Devil may cry, resident evil, or Metal gear for another year. Sega, where is your AM2 creative department? where is my groundbreaking games like chu chu rocket or Rez? Have the Japanese fallen? are they only going to develop for wii and Nintendo DS?[/QUOTE]I can somewhat say where have been the Japanese devs in general:

If you compare the amount of games Capcom is releasing this year to various platforms compared to other years, it really isn't that much. They lost some staff over the years.

If you look at Konami, they aren't as big as they use to be (as it seems). I'd see several games every year come out from Konami, but I'm barely seeing a few come out (The original Silent Hill team isn't even developing the new Silent Hill, which could mean they are no longer there). Many of the Konami published games I've seen as of late were developed by Hudson Soft. I know Konami has downsized a bit, cutting off a few studios.

Namco Bandai seems to have downsized just a little, but they most have several anime licenses in development (like usual) for DS/Wii/PS2. They just haven't put out much support on next gen consoles yet other than tons of old XBLA games. From what I definitely gather, most of their support will be DS/Wii. Losing Monolith Soft hurts.

Square Enix is just not what they use to be. They use to be my favorite developer before the merger with Enix (Don't get me wrong, I like many of Enix games myself, but I really don't like Wada). Wada's business model for Square Enix is to make as many Final Fantasy games as possible on platforms which are cheap to develop on (look at all the FF games coming to DS and PSP especially). In the past, Square would continue taking risks even if it hurt them a little. Wada is a little old school only wanting to do what's safe, or what makes them the most money (such as many several cell phone games and have one team devoted to FFXI online, since they bring lots of $$$). Wada even went on record to say PS3/360 are too powerful for today's market. He doesn't believe in digital distribution either (He's rather remake the same old games over and over again, selling them at full price). There's talk FFXIII's development is being held back until Japanese sales improve.

Sega, who knows, who cares at times. They have announced a few Japanese games for PS3, but Sega as a whole has changed as a company. In the past, most all their games were developed in Japan. Now, they've seen to have switched to a business plan where they mostly publish western games by various developers (some licensed). Also, making more casual type games.

I expect PS3 Japanese support to increase, but it will never be a massive as it was with PS2. The reasons are:
-Many big Japanese developers said they are shifting their PS3/360/PSP support to DS/Wii, because that's what's selling (main Tales and DQ games go to DS now).
-Japanese developers are still supporting PS2.
-Since next generation development costs are high and the next generation adoption is very low in Japan, many developers may not bother with next gen.
-Many Japanese games just don't go for graphics.

wow. I can't believe that japan is actually behind in the software development forefront. On the other hand, when did Europe become such a huge powerhouse? Look at the number of consoles sold in Europe now? GEEZ. It looks like they'll overtake america soon.

bread's done
Back