Where can I get the best deal for a SF4 gamepad or joystick?

lustyhitter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As we all know, Street Fighter 4 is coming February 17. I think we also know that the PS3 DS3 is inadequate for this game. What store should I go to in order to obtain a good 3rd party gamepad or joystick for SF4 for a good price?

Should I look into Amazon or any other online outlet, perhaps?

Amazon has been backordered for like 2 months on the stick. I have a feeling I should get mine the next time they restock IF they restock. Other than that I have no clue what other retailer carries them in Canada.

EB likely isn't the best place, since they recently added 10 bucks to each of their SF controllers (Fightpad 39 to 49, Fightstick 69 to 79, I believe). Unless you've got trade credit burning a hole in your pocket.

If you don't mind waiting, I would recommend the sega saturn USB pad. This pad is fully functional with the PS3! The street fighter 4 Fight pad was designed with the saturn pad in mind. Try searching *sega usb* on ebay, and you'll find many for sale.

There's a thread on SRK too in the tech talk section specifically about this controller.

The Madcatz pads are getting mixed reviews, and haven't shown up in Canada yet. Apparently BestBuy is not even stocking the PS3 version. I just ordered a Saturn USB pad on eBay last night, hope it works out. Wish it was wireless though, and all the buttons were the same size.

Edit, apparently the button sizes are just right according to some articles I read. Maybe they shouldn't have all been the same size after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a few selections on play-asia. Might be overpriced (I dont know what the going rate is) but there's a few selections there.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-36al.html (Hori Street Fighter IV Fighting Stick - $99USD)
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-2xsv.html (Hori Real Arcade Pro.EX - $150USD)
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-26p2.html (Hori Fighting Stick EX2 - $80 USD)
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-37j7.html (MadCatz Street Fighter IV FightStick - $99.90 USD)

I think they are all 360 compatible, sorry I dont have time to search for the PS3 ones but I'm sure they might have some.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-dd-49-en.html Heres the 360 catagory that lists a bunch more as well.

I'll look into the Sega Saturn USB pad. I'll wait until others here have gotten theirs and see if they work on the PS3, though. Somebody has to be the guinea pig. Until then, I'll make do with the DS3.

go to SRK's tech talk forum and look for the *Official Sega Saturn USB Pad Thread* started by markman, and read what people say in there. That's a good enough indication that it works.
i'll be receiving mine soon (hopefully sometime next week) so I can post as well.

Sega saturn USB pad is the way to go. I have two. Just go ahead and order them before SF IV makes them even more popular (prices will only go up...)

I just got the MadCatz SFIV fightpad today at Best Buy for $40. They do not show up in their computer as in stock, but they were hanging on the shelf. Great big floaty D-pad and turbo too.

mad-catz-fightpad-20090120042424795.html

http://gear.ign.com/dor/objects/143...ightpad-20090120042424795.html?page=mediaFull

Edit: Oops, fuck Canadians.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
This is the Canadian forum, and AFAIK, Best Buy Canada will not stock the Mad Catz Arcade Sticks. Here's hoping they eventually come around!

[quote name='lustyhitter']I'll look into the Sega Saturn USB pad. I'll wait until others here have gotten theirs and see if they work on the PS3, though. Somebody has to be the guinea pig. Until then, I'll make do with the DS3.[/quote]

They do work on PS3s, I've had mine for months. Like I said, best gamepad available haha.

[quote name='dragonjud']Sega saturn USB pad is the way to go. I have two. Just go ahead and order them before SF IV makes them even more popular (prices will only go up...)[/quote]
[quote name='chrisryans']They do work on PS3s, I've had mine for months. Like I said, best gamepad available haha.[/quote]
Can you guys give me an idea of how long the cord is on these? I'm going to need a USB extension cable (I assume) and want to buy the right size in advance.

[quote name='dragonjud']Sega saturn USB pad is the way to go. I have two. Just go ahead and order them before SF IV makes them even more popular (prices will only go up...)[/quote]

What is needed to get these to work on the Xbox 360?

Etheidon

Here is my short little review of Saturn USB pads (compatible with PS3/PC)

Back when SSF2THDR came out I quickly went and ordered 2 Saturn USB pads from Ebay (for $45 including shipping at the time from user litianedup); it took about 2 weeks to get here after it initially shipped (not sure if this is the average time frame for shipping from Hong Kong). The controllers came in bubble mail and the controllers were out of the original packaging material (he did send the folded boxes with the bubble mail though). Initially, I was disappointed and pretty sure by now that these are knock offs.

I started to use the pad and to my surprise I am quite fond with it now. I was a first thrown off by the fact it felt more fragile and buttons/dpad felt "softer" when compared to US Saturn Model 2 controllers, but once I got use to them the pad actually held up.

Details
-The usb cord is 6 foot in length (maybe slightly more)
-The pad has 5 screws on the back (havened actually opened up the pad)
-There is this red & white small sticker on the top with the letters 'EDUP' and various numbers.
-There is an 'SLS' logo sticker on the backside of the controller (made in china, ISS-5001-02.
-Button Mapping for PS3 is...
x=Square
y=Triangle
z=R2
a=X
b=Circle
c=L2
Left Shoulder=L1
Right Shoulder=R1
Start=Start

I have primarily used this controller with PS3 (for ps3 games only), MAME, zsnes and ePSXE; so far the controller has worked with no problems (blast to play Mega Man X ^^). One major concern is every once in awhile playing SSF2THDR it feels like I have broken the d-pad, but everything continues on working (does anyone know what I'm talking about?). Relatively that 'major concern' is a minor annoyance at most.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the purchase (even if these are knock offs). Having a blast playing SSF2THDR with this controller (granted, the controller does not make you a better player). I can't give you anymore detailed review of the controllers cause simply iono how to describe it more than what I have already written and couldn't give any more insight on how the controller responds to fighting games (I suck at fighting games).

Hope this helps, I'll try to post up pictures later

Thanks for the details, especially the cord length. I've been trying to find that out for a while. I don't think mine has shipped yet, hope that eBay seller gets his butt in gear. SF4 is coming sooN!

EB is getting the SF4 arcade stick (tournament edition) in March...

I'm looking to find the fight stick (white) or the tournament stick (black) for the X360. Anyone? Also hoping someone breaks the street date in Toronto.... LOL.

[quote name='pixelperfect']EB is getting the SF4 arcade stick (tournament edition) in March...

I'm looking to find the fight stick (white) or the tournament stick (black) for the X360. Anyone? Also hoping someone breaks the street date in Toronto.... LOL.[/quote]
I preordered mine 2 days ago at EB Games.. I hope they know what they are doing and that they are still actually taking in more orders..

[quote name='refraxion']I preordered mine 2 days ago at EB Games.. I hope they know what they are doing and that they are still actually taking in more orders..[/quote]

They're still taking preorders? Was it for the TE or the standard? I thought they cut them off a while ago.

Strange, I went in today and the girl at Gamestop said they were still doing preorders on the TE and Fight-pad but not the regular stick. I might end up grabbing a fight-pad since it seems that Amazon is never going to restock the HORIs.

What sucks is EB is getting their TE Sticks in March.... that's what I was told. Also they are only taking pre-orders on the TE stick. Anyone know where I can grab one of the sticks TODAY in Toronto?

[quote name='chrisryans']They're still taking preorders? Was it for the TE or the standard? I thought they cut them off a while ago.[/quote]
Yeah they told me they were taking still for TE stick but nothing else.. it was for the TE stick btw.

So is there anywhere I can pick up a regular MadCatz FightStick? The TE is not really worth it, IMO, since I can always replace the parts for cheaper.

Buyer beware. Looks like some people that have gotten their hands on the controller are reporting input problems with the joystick and some sticky buttons.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/16/owners-report-mad-catz-sfiv-fightstick-defects/

Supposedly only a small percentage. MadCatz is repairing them under warranty though. Their warranty is only 90 days and you will have to call their hotline, non toll free, and then ship it to them at your own cost along with you original reciept. Then wait 4-6 weeks for repair. Just a heads up.

wow, that was fast! the seller shipped my USB saturn pad on friday HKT. received it today (Feb 17th, 10:30 am). This controller is amazing! Indeed it works with PS3, you just need to turn on the PS3 controller and set it as controller 3. It is absolutely perfect for HDR, megaman and SF4!

Hey guys,

If anyone's interested, I just canceled my pre-order on an xbox 360 standard edition fight stick at the skyview location (Edmonton).

[quote name='histogram']Hey guys,

If anyone's interested, I just canceled my pre-order on an xbox 360 standard edition fight stick at the skyview location (Edmonton).[/quote]
Any idea if they had the game there yet? Family Day seems to have screwed up release here in Canada.

According to the clerk, some eb/gamestops will be getting the game in today, but won't be able to sell it until tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and the gamestop in kingsway garden mall (edmonton) is still taking pre-orders for the tournament stick (at least the xbox ones anyways).

Yeah I got my preorder for the TE stick yesterday, the woman working wouldn't believe me that they were still taking preorders but I persisted her to check. When she found out I was right she began to get very snobby with me. People are great.

[quote name='Bencherstyle']^ i didnt get a call yet saying they have the game ....
huh... is it out today??[/quote]
According to Capcom its "available" today. But cause of the holiday on monday I'm thinking shipping screwed things up.

[quote name='slam09']According to Capcom its "available" today. But cause of the holiday on monday I'm thinking shipping screwed things up.[/quote]

hmm. aw well, i cant play it untill the summer anyways:applause:(actually crying inside)

um, i never pre-ordered anything so could someone share how this is done?

i can't go pick it up untill next week... and since you have to pick it up in 48 hours, what happends after that? do i get a refund?

[quote name='Bencherstyle']hmm. aw well, i cant play it untill the summer anyways:applause:(actually crying inside)

um, i never pre-ordered anything so could someone share how this is done?

i can't go pick it up untill next week... and since you have to pick it up in 48 hours, what happends after that? do i get a refund?[/quote]

No. After the 48 hrs, they just don't hold the game for you. So if it's down to the last copy and someone walks in and asks for the game they'll sell that copy.

Just got back from EB and they just got their shipment of SF4.

The Madcatz Tournament Edition FightStick is still up for pre-orders. It's going to set us back $189.99. Not bad considering that the US price is $179.99.

Also they kicked back the standard SF4 game to $59.99, I'm not sure if they set back the CE to $79.99, though.

Pelican adaptor and a decent pad or stick should do ya in a pinch. I use the Tekken or Street Fighter PS2 pad and I get decent results.

Nabbed up SF IV last night at local EB, but was told in no uncertain terms that the pads would not go on sale until today.

Will be going over lunch to check it out.

bread's done
Back