where do college students get thier news?

EddieBelfour

CAGiversary!
i have an assignment for journalism in conjunction with a speaker we have coming on thursday october 21. the speaker is Marcy McGinnis, senior VP of news coverage for CBS.

now here's what i ask of you- let me know where you get your news from. doesnt matter if its the daily show or today, let me know; it would help out a ton since i cant find anything in our periodical indexes on college students and the news. holla back! :wink:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Daily Show[/quote]

kind of amazing if you think about it... fake news that is more real than fox or cnn...and it got a frigging peabody. this is where i also get my news

Cap on a snapple bottle. Did you know the statue of liberty is the worlds tallest light house!

Daily show and Drudge.

Mainly from my Yahoo page, but I do check my local newspaper's headlines each morning. I also catch the Daily Show from time to time.

Daily Show and The Onion.

The Onion is the most reliable news source I have ever read in my life. Honestly. It is. I swear.

Yahoo, Washington Post, Chicago Sun Times, The three major networks and Cable News (web and TV), but I trend towards ABC as my favorite. C-Span (I love book TV and Washington Journal). Newsweek.com and Time.com. TheRegister.com, E-week.com, ZDNet.com. Occasionally PBS News. Occasionally KYW News radio when driving around. The freebie article every day on Wall Street Journal. I watch the Daily Show but don't get my news from it.

Note that I only get free content. Don't pay for anything.

Edit: Oh, and I follow the Associated Press more than Reuters. Then Time Asia.com and TimeEurope.com have radically different content than Time.com.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Yahoo, Washington Post, Chicago Sun Times, The three major networks and Cable News (web and TV), but I trend towards ABC as my favorite. C-Span (I love book TV and Washington Journal). Newsweek.com and Time.com. TheRegister.com, E-week.com, ZDNet.com. Occasionally PBS News. Occasionally KYW News radio when driving around. The freebie article every day on Wall Street Journal. I watch the Daily Show but don't get my news from it.

Note that I only get free content. Don't pay for anything.[/quote]

I only get my media and sports news from Chicago Sun-times.

Daily Show is great! "Real" generic news I get from my yahoo page as well: AP, Reuters, NYT, USA Today.

Sci/Tech stuff: Discover, Sci Am, Pop Sci, Sci News, PC World, Space.com, AP, Reuters

Gaming News: Well, a bunch of sites, but I usually go to GameTab where they compile it nicely.

And I usually browse the free newspapers we get at our school in the morning: Mercury News (local paper), USA Today, and NYT.

[quote name='WeaponX2099'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Yahoo, Washington Post, Chicago Sun Times, The three major networks and Cable News (web and TV), but I trend towards ABC as my favorite. C-Span (I love book TV and Washington Journal). Newsweek.com and Time.com. TheRegister.com, E-week.com, ZDNet.com. Occasionally PBS News. Occasionally KYW News radio when driving around. The freebie article every day on Wall Street Journal. I watch the Daily Show but don't get my news from it.

I only get my media and sports news from Chicago Sun-times.[/quote]

The Chicago Sun times is one of the great papers in amaerica. I believe their former editor is one of the best in the nation. He moved on to the LA Times and Subsequently the LA Times wion a string of Pulitzers. The Sun Times still reflects his excellence even though he's been removed by a few years.

His name escapes me at the moment.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='WeaponX2099'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Yahoo, Washington Post, Chicago Sun Times, The three major networks and Cable News (web and TV), but I trend towards ABC as my favorite. C-Span (I love book TV and Washington Journal). Newsweek.com and Time.com. TheRegister.com, E-week.com, ZDNet.com. Occasionally PBS News. Occasionally KYW News radio when driving around. The freebie article every day on Wall Street Journal. I watch the Daily Show but don't get my news from it.

I only get my media and sports news from Chicago Sun-times.[/quote]

The Chicago Sun times is one of the great papers in amaerica. I believe their former editor is one of the best in the nation. He moved on to the LA Times and Subsequently the LA Times wion a string of Pulitzers. The Sun Times still reflects his excellence even though he's been removed by a few years.

His name escapes me at the moment.[/quote]

I also like the Sun-Times, but read most of the columns that they have. It's the only newspaper i read, besides Free Usa Todays.

I have CNN as my homepage, so I look at it first thing in the morning for any major breaking news. I generally look at it again after my classes or work or whatnot and read through most of the articles. I also read the Boston Globe, Herald and Metro depending on what I can get for free. Finally I watch Fox News when I can.

And of course Sportscenter and Yahoo Sports for my MLB news.

i gave up on news. if there's something i want to know about i reserch it, which may include reading news articles, but i dotn watch news or read newspapers

[quote name='punqsux']i gave up on news. if there's something i want to know about i reserch it, which may include reading news articles, but i dotn watch news or read newspapers[/quote]

well those have to come from somwhere. why did you give up on the news? maybe they arent catering to your "demographic" :wink:

seriously though- if your doing research, where woudl you say you get RELIABLE sources from?

Fox news and anything that says good things about the honest, intellegent and very humble George W. Bush Jr. Anything else is just lies!

[quote name='EddieBelfour']why did you give up on the news? [/quote]

news is too negative and repetitive for me...its the same stuff every day, and i dont like the way its over dramatacized on TV.

i read newspapers every now and then for my photojournalism class, but only as assignments. the pittsburgh post gazette makes the nazi's look like micheal moore

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='EddieBelfour']why did you give up on the news? [/quote]

news is too negative and repetitive for me...its the same stuff every day, and i dont like the way its over dramatacized on TV.

i read newspapers every now and then for my photojournalism class, but only as assignments. the pittsburgh post gazette makes the nazi's look like micheal moore[/quote]

funny you say that, me and my lady friend may relocate to pittsburgh so i can take film at pitt and she can write for that paper. heh. i usually dont read the paper at all, unless assigned like yourself. but do you read your college paper at all?

[quote name='cyberlian']I get a lot of my "on-campus" news from the "flush facts" which is a poster that is in all of the stalls in the bathrooms...[/quote]

perhaps i should have also asked if anyone cared what thier college newspaper has to say? do you guys actually read them?

Talk radio and the internet. I don't watch/read mainstream news. The liberal bias (... forged cbs memos....) is ridiculous.

bread's done
Back