Where do I get Windows when I'm building my own system?

uricmu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm sick of the crappy graphics on my XBOX 360 so I'm going to build my first PC rig in 6 years. The problem is that I've previously only built DOS and Linux boxes and have been using Macs.

I'm under a budget, and then I saw how much Windows costs when you buy it not as part of a ready-made computer. What's the best *legal* approach here? Is there a place that sells them for system builders? Is there an academic discount somewhere? etc.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']You can try buying the Windows 7 release candidate. I don't really know the negatives of it but for 10 dollars you can't really go wrong.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that one time limited?

Either way, NewEgg doesn't let you add it for 10$, it only lets you add it when you buy Vista.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I buy my licenses from Newegg. Vista 64bit was about $80 or so the last time I bought it.[/QUOTE]
Where do you get the actual media from, though? (If it's a new machine).

[quote name='uricmu']Where do you get the actual media from, though? (If it's a new machine).[/QUOTE]

Newegg.

They sell OEM licenses for system builders. That's what I always buy. They work fine.

That's probably what I'll do. My only worry is that the voucher for the XP home is for Win 7 home, which means no XP support . Is it possible ot transfer a win xp license from an older machine?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the academic licensing is only for upgrade or for Office, not for a fresh install of Vista...

And the OEM version is locked to a motherboard (or even to a configuration), it seems, which sucks if you want to upgrade.

I can't believe Microsoft charges $250 for an operating system. They're essentially encouraging everyone to buy machines rather than assemble them themsevles.

Fry's Electronics sells copies of Windows.

Newegg's OEM copies are good for what they are. The problem is that the license for an OEM copy remains with the machine, and can't be transferred to another machine. OEM copies are designed for installation on a new machine that is intended to be re-sold.

You would probably be better served by acquiring your own full copy of Windows. Last time I checked, a full copy of Windows XP Home edition ran about $200.

Vista just got a bad rap because when it came out it was awful. They've fixed it up and it's on SP2 now and it plays most games much better than XP. But like they say about first impressions, Vista still gets trashed despite being fixed up. So, I'd say for a gaming system go Vista 64 bit and get the free windows 7 upgrade that comes with it.

Because I don't think you can upgrade from XP to 7 without doing a clean install. Which is a pain.

[quote name='HowStern']Vista just got a bad rap because when it came out it was awful. They've fixed it up and it's on SP2 now and it plays most games much better than XP. But like they say about first impressions, Vista still gets trashed despite being fixed up. So, I'd say for a gaming system go Vista 64 bit and get the free windows 7 upgrade that comes with it.

[/QUOTE]

This.

I run Vista 32 Home Basic, Home Premium, and Vista 64 Ultimate without any major issues. A lot of the "bad rep" that Vista gets is based on initial impressions. It's improved a lot over the years.

bread's done
Back