where do you sell your textbooks?

wwe101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
just wondering where you guys sell your textbooks. I just finished my first semester and I have about $300 worth of textbooks i'll never use again. i already posted them on craigslist but nothing yet

If your school is offering the same class next semester and is using the same book, go to that class the first day and offer to sell it for a bit less than what your school book store charges for it used. I've sold several books that way and got more than I would have to selling online (twice I had people pay me cash on the spot). You could also try posting a flyer in the classroom if you're busy when that class is in session.

If my schools wasn't offering the same class, I used half.com.

I always got raped and sold them to the school bookstore. School bookstores were like Gamestop though. This was before the Internet was big though.

One nice thing about WI schools were that you rented your books.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']amazon[/QUOTE]

Seconded. They give nearly retail back, although you don't get cash, just Amazon credit.

I usually scoped out prices at half.com for cash or Amazon for credit and sold there. If the price wasn't good enough to justify the hassle, I sold back to the bookstore at that point.

Everyone I know just uses the college bookstore. Simply because it's just not worth the hassle of selling online/the cost of shipping heavy books etc, when you can just walk in and get tha cash. You can get pretty good rates for your books if the college will be using that book again next term.

[quote name='CENNY']Everyone I know just uses the college bookstore. Simply because it's just not worth the hassle of selling online/the cost of shipping heavy books etc, when you can just walk in and get tha cash. You can get pretty good rates for your books if the college will be using that book again next term.[/QUOTE]

Or, like most of the time, you'll get horrible rates when the book you just spent 90 bucks on is now worth 5 or nothing at all because they've published a new edition to add five or six new words to the book. Most trade-in places like Chegg and Amazon will ship your books for free.

[quote name='wwe101']just wondering where you guys sell your textbooks. I just finished my first semester and I have about $300 worth of textbooks i'll never use again. i already posted them on craigslist but nothing yet[/QUOTE]

If you've spent $300, then you probably really have all of $72 worth of books on the open market.

I used half.com back in my day (2005-2007) until the last few semesters when I was usually just so happy to be done with classes I bent over and took the bookstore buyback prices so I could go to the liquor store that night and buy booze. (Most of the liquor stores in my area only accept cash)

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Or, like most of the time, you'll get horrible rates when the book you just spent 90 bucks on is now worth 5 or nothing at all because they've published a new edition to add five or six new words to the book.[/QUOTE]

Yeah well, if the college is using that same book/same edition, then you can get decent rates.

Selling online is just a hassle in my opinion, unless there's a HUGE difference in the selling price online vs selling to the bookstore, which I have rarely encountered personally. Selling to the college bookstore is instant cash, which counts for a lot.

Walk into your campus book store, preferably during the few days before the semester start. Go to the section where your book is from. Tell anyone you see looking for your book (say it's $85 used) that you can sell it to them for [insert how compassionate you are in terms of price].

Don't carry stuff around with you or you'll get kicked out. Just exchange phone #s etc..

Very simple way to nearly break even on textbooks and in some cases profit.

I usually trade them into Amazon, but I have sold books on the Amazon marketplace. If your book is worth some money (~$70 or more) then undercut everyone's prices that's selling them. Quick and easy way to get rid of it at a decent price

Amazon does have good rates, but sometimes when my school offered 5-10 less in cash, I would take that. If you're willing to walk around to your campus' bookstore and the off campus bookshops, you'll find the best rate.

bread's done
Back