Where Is _____ Hip-Hop Thread

[quote name='Rozz']It's been a dissappointing year, after all... maybe this will brighten it up.[/QUOTE]I donno about that... between Kweli and Evidence those are two of the best, dont sleep on the Weatherman!!

I listened to Reel to Reel one time but very briefly... I cant remember a thing about it!!! This was before sum random guy on sum hip-hop board made a thread about it saying how awesome it was and everybody coming in and replying how they agree.

lol I needa dig it up and relisten to it!!

and today even Public Radio did a segment on Kanye vs. 50 Cent release date!!

they pretty much said it was nothing more than a marketing stunt but they believe Kanye will win becoz he comes off as more intelligent and will secure that crowd.

pfft yeay right! it's the dumb kids who actually make your shyt go multiplatinum!

they even said that after stating that 50's always oversold Kanye too. You would think it safe to assume a repeat of history instead of expecting a radical change.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Does Common put on a good show? It turns out he's going to be at ACL.[/quote]

He usually does a good show though the last few times I've seen him, he has been doing a lot of stuff from Be which I'm not a fan of. Even if he still keeps doing his new crap, I'll still make sure I go to every concert he does in Chicago.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Does Common put on a good show? It turns out he's going to be at ACL.[/QUOTE]
Yeah Com puts on good shows - and yeah he is doing a lot more new material than I'd like....

He's going to be @ ACL and then he's doing a show @ La Zona Rosa afterwards... I"m going to try and go the La Zona

album of the day! I been meaning to give this record sum attention for a while now, so I'ma post the album cover all big n shyt!!!

2b799833e7a055c027b81110.L.jpg

Another underground classic! If you have not heard this record, do it NOW!!

it's basically these three Chinese doods from Philly over smooth & funky beats rapping about humorous tales of daily life.

they've already broken up unfortunately, only one of them still works but mostly as a producer. He has a few records out in addition to this group's follow up record, Triple Crown. They didnt make ANY money apparently so the other 2 doods went back to 9to5's.

here's their music video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svz4nDGpAYk[/media]

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']R.I.P. tupac[/QUOTE]dang 11 years since yesterday...

all these wack ass emcees out today wish they could be relevant for a small fraction of that time.

edit: wack ass emcees is a contradiction... a lot of wack asses aint emcees, lol.

'Me Against the World' was his best album lyrically... 'All Eyez on Me' had the classics but I didn't like disc 2 at all (except for 'When We Ride' w/ the Outlaws). I also enjoyed 'Until the End of Time', and 'The 7 Day Theory' was overrated but it definitely had some nice diss tracks.

My fav was a toss up between temptations and well, a lotta other songs he put out :p

Btw, anyone go down to Amoeba and check out the show yesterday? A dude told me about it but I didn't want to bother, since he said parking would be a bitch down there.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
Dude still wears the eyepatch. It's his signature I guess, like Flavor Flav and his Clock ;)[/QUOTE]

He really is missing his eye.

My emusic downloads this month:

Artist: Strong Arm Steady
Album: Deep Hearted

Artist: Aesop Rock
Album: None Shall Pass

Artist: C-Rayz Walz
Album: Chorus Rhyme

Artist: Boot Camp Clik
Album: Casualities of War

Artist: Cool Calm Pete
Album: Lost The Album

Artist: Kirb and Chris
Album: N-z and White Girls

A pop up came up when I ran out of downloads so I upgraded to the eMusic Connoisseur 100 for $24.99 and there is one for $49.99 for 200 downloads. Maybe this will help shave off my playlist of 200+ albums I want to download.

[quote name='headpiece747']My emusic downloads this month:

Artist: Strong Arm Steady
Album: Deep Hearted

Artist: Aesop Rock
Album: None Shall Pass

Artist: C-Rayz Walz
Album: Chorus Rhyme

Artist: Boot Camp Clik
Album: Casualities of War

Artist: Cool Calm Pete
Album: Lost The Album

Artist: Kirb and Chris
Album: N-z and White Girls

A pop up came up when I ran out of downloads so I upgraded to the eMusic Connoisseur 100 for $24.99 and there is one for $49.99 for 200 downloads. Maybe this will help shave off my playlist of 200+ albums I want to download.[/quote]

Heh, what I did was cancel my eMusic account and it gave me the basic for half the price and I had contacted customer service once since I didn't understand the downloads refreshing every month, I thought they carried over, but the CS rep told me the whole deal and gave me 60 complimentary DL's ^^b

Somehow I ended up with 120 DL's per month for around $5

[quote name='Inf^Shini']My fav was a toss up between temptations and well, a lotta other songs he put out :p

Btw, anyone go down to Amoeba and check out the show yesterday? A dude told me about it but I didn't want to bother, since he said parking would be a bitch down there.[/QUOTE]what show?!?! I've been meaning to go there for a while to unload sum cds for new Sean Price mixtapes... but I been too busy... or lazy. both actually.

it's 2am rite now... here sum late nite videos / songs:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsaB4xVTVM[/media]
Ranjahz - Insp HER Ation. allhiphop.com did a where are they now article on this group a few days ago, I actually bought their cd when Tower Records was closing down, it's pretty damn good! A lot better than that mundane All City album.

I been listening to this these past days:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3vh52bGJE[/media]

more Jermain Dupri hotness:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLvpLA2Q2hs[/media]

wikipedia says these doods is planning another comeback record late 2007. pfffft~~

[quote name='Daywalker']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHBy738MUGs

Worlds fastest rapper... DAMN![/quote]
DAMN YOU!

[quote name='JEKKI']I been listening to this these past days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3vh52bGJE[/quote]

One of the best Wu-affiliates and I wish they never broke up.

[quote name='DomLando']Anybody hear anything from this album yet:
l_361270bf0f88ca4e09a35bfd074fa8b2.jpg

It comes out the 25th. Should be dope.[/quote] The first album was pretty good with dope beats from Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind.

[quote name='primetime']Aesop Rock-None Shall Pass

I was looking at this for next month. Impressions when you get a chance headpiece?[/quote]
Pretty decent album so far it is more of the lines of Bazooka Tooth then Labor Days. Best songs so far: Catacomb Kids, None Shall Pass and Getaway Car feat. Breeze Brewin & Cage.

dood! yupyupyupyupyupyupyup~!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLrxRz1sVI[/media]

I really wanna hear new AOTP, I really liked Torture Papers.

there sum good shyt dropping tomorrow too:

51Ui4dCdcyL._AA240_.jpg
51rAfIwfD2L._AA240_.jpg

Chamillionaire got a lot of love from backpackers who heard his album :lol: I've been wanting to listen to it forever. The new one got real good reviews too.

sux tho... my dvd-r drive dont burn cds well... shyt sounds all skippy and scratchy at 4x speed :cry:

and I thought this was suppose to come out tomorrow too, per amazon it got pushed back tho:

61zrAAQk3%2BL._AA240_.jpg

I can't wait for that ^^

yeah, I can't wait to pick up Percee P's album (I've had it downloaded for awhile now but I've been fighting myself to wait for a proper drop). It would be nice to see him get more props. You can have the others

[quote name='JEKKI']what show?!?! I've been meaning to go there for a while to unload sum cds for new Sean Price mixtapes... but I been too busy... or lazy. both actually.[/quote]

Ehh, I forgot who was peforming already -.-''

Btw, has anyone listened to M-1's album Confidential? How is that?

I heard one track, "love you cant borrow", and loved it. Anyone have thoughts on the album, I might pick it up and give it a shot.

[quote name='JEKKI']

there sum good shyt dropping tomorrow too:

Chamillionaire got a lot of love from backpackers who heard his album :lol: I've been wanting to listen to it forever. The new one got real good reviews too.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I've never been much of a fan of Chamillionaire but I guess I'll give the new record a chance. Also gonna check out that Percee P.

[quote name='DomLando']Anybody hear anything from this album yet:
l_361270bf0f88ca4e09a35bfd074fa8b2.jpg

It comes out the 25th. Should be dope.[/QUOTE]

I listened to it today, it's pretty good but it's got no beats from stoupe. But I might like it better than the 1st album.

nope... I wish tho... u can prolly find them on shoryuken.

I was listening to NPR again today, they were talking about antisemitism in Israel, and the dood they're talking with was kept on being referred to as "Mr Walt"

I kept on thinking about Beatminerz, lol.

so... any1 heard this album:

e464808a8da0c5ac5b5f4110._AA240_.L.gif

I got a sticker of it sitting in my kitchen for sum odd reason... and I have no idea who Sick Jacken is...

but I read on allhiphop forums tat this is a real good album, and I LOVED the DJ Muggs / GZA album. This one HAS to be good!

51sxy5BtMzL._AA240_.jpg

album of the day. GZA is always a dope emcee, no doubt about it. DJ Muggs does his best Wu-Tang impersonation behind the boards, and does a much better job than doods like Mathematics, True Master, and Bronze Nazareth :lol:

upon searching for the album art on amazon, it appears they made a remix album too:

61ZjqywKSsL._AA240_.jpg

geez, I needa get that!

any1 check out the Strong Arm Steady record yet?

61EPn-n0-1L._AA240_.jpg

I been listening to it all week... it's alright.

beats are good, lots of diversity in vocal presence (the 3 emcees are each very different, but there's also a lot of guest stars. You barely hear Phil & Mitch in the album -_-). Overall good music.

the problem with it tho is lyrical content. Mitchy Slick has a real dope flow, but him and Krondon seem to talk about nothing but the typical streets, drugs, bitches, gangs, guns, etc. Like, in every verse they spit! they never switch it up. Phil da Agony aint really any better, he spits mostly non-sensical underground battle raps, but I'd rather have an album of that than these one-dimensional verbals.

so in the end, the song titles and hooks are negligible. It doesnt matter how the hook goes, what the song is called, or what theyre talking about. It's all interchangeable. This is the exact problem that I had with the last Swollen Members album.

also Krondon does the hook for EVERY song on the record (except for one that has a girly sing-song hook). It sux coz you got these 2 other guys with nice voices and instead you get tired of Krondon on each and every song. This plus the lyrical content makes this a good album that begins to irritate you more and more as you relisten to it.

hopefully their Talib kweli / Blacksmith label release will address these problems and be a much better record.

Jekki does the album of the day, but here's my pick for the week:

413AZHC6XTL._AA240_.jpg

Amerikkka's Most Wanted is a mad-dope album. It has some of the best lyrics ever, if you listen to this album the night before work the Cube's words will stay with you all day. It's fun to hear Cube as a young, hungry, angry MC. 17 years later, this album is still worth picking up even if you haven't heard it before.

[quote name='JEKKI']any1 check out the Strong Arm Steady record yet?

61EPn-n0-1L._AA240_.jpg

I been listening to it all week... it's alright.

beats are good, lots of diversity in vocal presence (the 3 emcees are each very different, but there's also a lot of guest stars. You barely hear Phil & Mitch in the album -_-). Overall good music.

the problem with it tho is lyrical content. Mitchy Slick has a real dope flow, but him and Krondon seem to talk about nothing but the typical streets, drugs, bitches, gangs, guns, etc. Like, in every verse they spit! they never switch it up. Phil da Agony aint really any better, he spits mostly non-sensical underground battle raps, but I'd rather have an album of that than these one-dimensional verbals.

so in the end, the song titles and hooks are negligible. It doesnt matter how the hook goes, what the song is called, or what theyre talking about. It's all interchangeable. This is the exact problem that I had with the last Swollen Members album.

also Krondon does the hook for EVERY song on the record (except for one that has a girly sing-song hook). It sux coz you got these 2 other guys with nice voices and instead you get tired of Krondon on each and every song. This plus the lyrical content makes this a good album that begins to irritate you more and more as you relisten to it.

hopefully their Talib kweli / Blacksmith label release will address these problems and be a much better record.[/quote]
Man Jekki you head that right on. This album could have been great but they went with the typical money and gun play. It is like Mitchy Slick has infected the Strong Arm Steady crew with his gangsta crap.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']New record from Jigga coming November 6th.

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=13913

I'm looking forward to it, Kingdom Come wasn't too bad, but hopefully this record will be better.[/quote]

kingdom come sucked...my favorite of his was Vol 2: Hard Knock Life.. I can leave the cd on and not skip a track...

bread's done
Back