Where is the Metroid Prime 2:Echoes hype/excitement.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I know that the first Metroid Prime didn't sell as amazingly as the GTA series on the PS2 and Halo.....but come on, there is not a single thread about the release of this amazing game. I got it a day before release at a stupidly stocked BB, and I've loved every second of it. Anyhow, I'm a bit miffed.

Halo = what I've been experiencing for years on my PC, and needs a mouse and keyboard.

GTA = starting to get old. Graphics have always needed an upgrade, in spite of me not being a graphics-whore.

I guess everyone's been playing Halo 2, Half-Life 2 and MGS3.. Hopefully MP2 will get overlooked and drop quickly.. I want to pick it up.. no Gamecube, though, my brother has it.. but the cover.. is so SHINY!!!

Well here's the thing. While I think MP2 will be a great game, I just don't think it deserves any hype. It's just more of the same, and while "the same" is really good in this case, it's still the same.

That being said, I don't think that Halo2 and GTA:SA deserved any hype either. But you know the story with that.

only time i saw a commercial for this game was when i clicked the link at ign. hope the game does well tho. still gotta play the first one

Everyone has a huge hard-on for the GTA series and for the overhyped Halo 2. There is also to much mass media coverage for GTA and Halo that the general public buys these games because of it without considering other games that may be better.

I've been playing this, It made me forget Halo 2 came out last week. "More of the same" is more true for Halo 2 than for this one, the experience thus far is wildly different IMO.

Just haven't been hyping it cuz I've been at my gamecube.

[quote name='pdat2003']Everyone has a huge hard-on for the GTA series and for the overhyped Halo 2. There is also to much mass media coverage for GTA and Halo that the general public buys these games because of it without considering other games that may be better.[/quote]

That's the most intelligent post I've read all day. :applause:
I highly encourage everyone to read IGN's N-Query from 11-16. Matt talks about GTA and Halo2. Very interesting:
http://cube.ign.com/mail/2004-11-16.html

simple, you see not many adult gamers own gamecubes (like maybe 5 mill-8 mill) now not alot of them are instrested in MP2 (around 1 mill) everyone else is a kid, and to kids, halo 2 is more appealing.... also alot off people are turned off by its no online play which sucks, and i know that if I had a 2 GC's and two MP2's, my friends wouldn't be intrested in playing MP2 and would rather LAN halo 2... IMO, HALO 2 is the seller here, GTA is th failure (but its a helluva games, just not saleswise, was expecting more) and MP 2 won't sell as much as it should and will in combo packs for gamecube within 7-9 months.

I'm looking forward to getting both MP2 and PM2. I can't wait, captain. Excellence all around. I'm stoked for it, but I ddin't create a thread because the 46 Halo2 Threads seemed a little excessive, and I figured someone would bring it up eventually.

I'm really excited about MP2. After the complete let down of GTA:SA and the somewhat let down of Halo 2, the lack of hype is refreshing. I expect good things from MP2 and MGS3. Now, if only I had money.

Halo 2? That finally got released?

I preordered and received my shipping notice for Metroid Prime 2 and Guide today. I can't wait!

Chris

[quote name='help1']simple, you see not many adult gamers own gamecubes (like maybe 5 mill-8 mill) now not alot of them are instrested in MP2 (around 1 mill) everyone else is a kid, and to kids, halo 2 is more appealing.... also alot off people are turned off by its no online play which sucks, and i know that if I had a GC and another one also with two MP2's welll, my friends wouldn't be intrested in playing and would rather halo 2... IMO HALO 2 is the seller here, GTA is teh failure (but its a helluva games, jsut not saleswise, was expecting more) and MP 2 won't sell asm uch as it should and will in combo packs for gamecube within 7-9 months[/quote]

I may be wrong but if Nintendo had 5-8 million adult Gamecube owners (not including the children that own a GC), then they'd be winning the console wars and it be the best selling console. I don't think they've even sold 5 million total units. I may be wrong though, don't have the numbers in front of me. Good point thuough.

I agree I don't think Nintendo spent any money advertising this. While in general a great game like this would not need adverstising if the competition spends a ton hyping up Halo2 and GTA SA then you are going to get lost in the mix.

I've seen a ton of advertisements for Pikmin2... why no Metroid love?

I saw like 3 different commercials for MP:E over the weekend so it's not like it's not being advertised.

2 of them are long and short versions of the "darkness" commercial where they plays sound effects on a black screen and then suddenly you catch a few shots of Samus before the title of the game. Then there's the one with the woman walking a dark corridor and bits of armor swirl around her forming her armor and she takes aim at the camera, jumping to shots of the game.

Metroid Prime was a great game, and I truly feel that the sequel is even better and more refined. It just disappoints me that people aren't experiencing this. Much like I felt about Eternal Darkness. Anyhow, it just seems as if Nintendo is slowly becoming an art-house development house...great quality games for the educated selective.

I think that you don't see hype since ater GTA and Halo everyone is all hyped out. Besides a ton of other really good games are also comming out now where as GTA and Halo came out a bit before anything else big.

I very much like Metroid Prime, but I can see why people were looking forward to Halo 2.

I think what scares me about Metroid Prime 2 is that people keep writing that it is more difficult than the first one. For me, the first one had some pretty tough moments, so this whole 'more difficult' thing scares me!

[quote name='lurknomore']Metroid Prime was a great game, and I truly feel that the sequel is even better and more refined. It just disappoints me that people aren't experiencing this. Much like I felt about Eternal Darkness. Anyhow, it just seems as if Nintendo is slowly becoming an art-house development house...great quality games for the educated selective.[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Long live the big N and its educated fans :D

[quote name='gashlycrumb']I very much like Metroid Prime, but I can see why people were looking forward to Halo 2.

I think what scares me about Metroid Prime 2 is that people keep writing that it is more difficult than the first one. For me, the first one had some pretty tough moments, so this whole 'more difficult' thing scares me![/quote]

It is tougher, but not that much tougher. Games this generation are just much too easy. Much too easy. We've all become too lazy when it come to playing video games and our skills have diminished. Take the best Halo player and match him with the best Counter-Strike(PC) player...and it's no contest. Players in this generation have become cry-babies about game difficulty. I can't tell you the number of times that I see gamers sitting in front of a brand new game with a guide book as they cheat their way through a game. Come on, pop in a NES or SNES game I dare you...and play some real difficulty.

[quote name='lurknomore'][quote name='gashlycrumb']I very much like Metroid Prime, but I can see why people were looking forward to Halo 2.

I think what scares me about Metroid Prime 2 is that people keep writing that it is more difficult than the first one. For me, the first one had some pretty tough moments, so this whole 'more difficult' thing scares me![/quote]

It is tougher, but not that much tougher. Games this generation are just much too easy. Much too easy. We've all become too lazy when it come to playing video games and our skills have diminished. Take the best Halo player and match him with the best Counter-Strike(PC) player...and it's no contest. Players in this generation have become cry-babies about game difficulty. I can't tell you the number of times that I see gamers sitting in front of a brand new game with a guide book as they cheat their way through a game. Come on, pop in a NES or SNES game I dare you...and play some real difficulty.[/quote]

Thank you, lurknomore. You are a beacon of sanity in these dark times. Some games have difficult moments, but through and through they are just easier. I have just started up MP2 and it does seem challenging. I just replayed a part b/c I wasn't happy with my first performance. I haven't done that since we kissed 16 bit goodbye.

As far as the lack of hype for MP2, I have seen an ad on TV and a few other things, but the buzz sure isn't there. I agree that the mass media has ignored it, probably b/c it just won't sell as many as the other two. Plus, no one's going to kill their classmate with a wave beam and blame Samus. No story there. I do think, however, that Nintendo dropped the ball of hype in some basic areas. I saw about 4 or 5 different release dates depending on the retailer. I even went to Gamerush on the posted "release date" and went home empty handed b/c they didn't get them until the next day, per store policy. This is partly Gamerush's fault, but the lack of consistency is not building the needed anticipation in the majority of gamers out there. I have seen plugs for DS release parties, etc., which is good since I'm a Nintendo fan, but why nothing at all for MP2?

Just disappointing.

I better get back to the game now....

You should be happy there isn't as much hype as GTA and Halo had. Many people were let down by these games because they couldn't live up to the insane amount of hype they recieved.

I'm sure that this won't sell nearly as well in the beginning because of the lack of hype and advertising. But people might realize it later on when all other winter games are out and many of them ended up dissapointing. (killzone, halo 2, gta).

I haven't played this game nor have I played the original, but I do have gamecube. I got a GC less than a year ago but have way too many games on both gc and ps2 to play. I'm really not a fan of FPS's ether. I only enjoy the multiplayer aspect. I have been interested in this one because it does support 4 player split screen.

[quote name='lurknomore'][quote name='gashlycrumb']I very much like Metroid Prime, but I can see why people were looking forward to Halo 2.

It is tougher, but not that much tougher. Games this generation are just much too easy. Much too easy. We've all become too lazy when it come to playing video games and our skills have diminished. Take the best Halo player and match him with the best Counter-Strike(PC) player...and it's no contest. Players in this generation have become cry-babies about game difficulty. I can't tell you the number of times that I see gamers sitting in front of a brand new game with a guide book as they cheat their way through a game. Come on, pop in a NES or SNES game I dare you...and play some real difficulty.[/quote]

agree'd. I didn't realize how bad I have become at games. I thought I was getting better as time progressed, but it turns out games have just become more easier. It is pretty easy to beat games with enough time nowadays. I was playing the old arcade TMNT that was included in TMNT2, and it was pretty hard. IT was really short but it took many times for me to go through it.

i purchased a gamecube because of metroid prime two years ago. finished prime about a month and a half later, great experience. it brought me back to console games.

on echoes, going to wait for a price drop on this. did flip through a guide to see if there were any bonuses with it, hoping for a ported SNES super metroid, but nope. so this game can wait, no rush. oh, the multiplayer is a throw-away.

managed to sample hunters on ds earlier tonight. (those demos are mounted way too low for adults.) very interesting way to play with a stylus. it's kind of like a mouse with a pc. it looked good, but precision platforming could be a problem; jumping was awkward.

[quote name='dpatel']You should be happy there isn't as much hype as GTA and Halo had. Many people were let down by these games because they couldn't live up to the insane amount of hype they recieved.

I'm sure that this won't sell nearly as well in the beginning because of the lack of hype and advertising. But people might realize it later on when all other winter games are out and many of them ended up dissapointing. (killzone, halo 2, gta).

I haven't played this game nor have I played the original, but I do have gamecube. I got a GC less than a year ago but have way too many games on both gc and ps2 to play. I'm really not a fan of FPS's ether. I only enjoy the multiplayer aspect. I have been interested in this one because it does support 4 player split screen.[/quote]

It's not the hype necessarily that I am jealous about, per se. I just want good quality games to sell well, because this would for the most part motivate other companies to produce like-quality games. There is so much trash out there. I believe in the concept that if truly the best games were best-sellers across the board, there will be more quality games made....developers and publishers would feel the motivation to make better quality games. Instead, console companies are producing half-arsed clones galore.

The Metroid Prime series is not a FPS. I hate console FPSs. I only play FPS on my PC. Call me a snob, but a keyboard and mouse are the only way to play. I am dead serious. So check out Metroi Prime; it is truly a masterpiece...and MP2 is that much better.

If you own a GameCube, there is no excuse not to buy Metroid Prime at $20. Get it now, so you can avoid the yellow PC banner.

Thank you for your responses about the difficulty of MP2. Metroid Prime 2 is officially back on my list!

I still have nightmares about the difficulty in some of the older console games.

Anyone remember Rolling Thunder 2. OoooF!! (That was a damn good game though)

[quote name='lurknomore']I know that the first Metroid Prime didn't sell as amazingly as the GTA series on the PS2 and Halo.....but come on, there is not a single thread about the release of this amazing game. I got it a day before release at a stupidly stocked BB, and I've loved every second of it. Anyhow, I'm a bit miffed.

Halo = Greatest online FPS to hit a console.

GTA = You would think that after Vice City that they could not make it any better, but somehow they did.

Metroid Prime 2 = I played of for about 30 minutes and then realized I was playing the first one. No innovation and nothing new.[/quote]

^^^^Yeah what he said!

:lol: This has been a joke, if for some reason you are not laughing please read the joke again....

[quote name='lurknomore'][quote name='dpatel']You should be happy there isn't as much hype as GTA and Halo had. Many people were let down by these games because they couldn't live up to the insane amount of hype they recieved.

I haven't played this game nor have I played the original, but I do have gamecube. I got a GC less than a year ago but have way too many games on both gc and ps2 to play. I'm really not a fan of FPS's ether. I only enjoy the multiplayer aspect. I have been interested in this one because it does support 4 player split screen.[/quote]

It's not the hype necessarily that I am jealous about, per se. I just want good quality games to sell well, because this would for the most part motivate other companies to produce like-quality games. There is so much trash out there. I believe in the concept that if truly the best games were best-sellers across the board, there will be more quality games made....developers and publishers would feel the motivation to make better quality games. Instead, console companies are producing half-arsed clones galore.

The Metroid Prime series is not a FPS. I hate console FPSs. I only play FPS on my PC. Call me a snob, but a keyboard and mouse are the only way to play. I am dead serious. So check out Metroi Prime; it is truly a masterpiece...and MP2 is that much better.

If you own a GameCube, there is no excuse not to buy Metroid Prime at $20. Get it now, so you can avoid the yellow PC banner.[/quote]

I totally agree. MP is not even close to an FPS. It is truly Metroid in 3d. I'll be grabbing MP2 after xmas, at full price if there are no deals.

well i think why mp2 wasnt hyped as much is because i think Nintendo would just be throwing money at a problem it cant raelly do anything about. these last 2 weeks have seen the releases of sooooo many top teir big budget games with so much advertising sunk into them mp2 nintendo would have to spend more money on advertiseing it that it would make selling it. Microsoft needed Halo 2 to succeed, so they spent assloads of money on it. Rockstar needs GTA to succeed, and Sony needs rockstar (come on, i dare you to say they dont), so assloads of money were spent there. But honestly, even though the metroid franchise is my favorite of all of nintendos, this is not the franchise they need to invest all of their money in, its just the one that is most like the mainstream franchises of other consoles. Nintendo will spend so much money on the new zelda you wont believe it, and if they dont, they will fail, because thats the franchise that will keep them alive.

I picked up Metroid Prime 2 and im liking it, however San Andreas BLOWS this game away and Halo 2 despite it's dumbed down multiplayer is a little better then MP:2, I like em all though.

I am excited for the game and think it will be sweet, but I still haven't finished the first one, so I need to do that first

This year is seeing more big releases than any other year in video game history. With the HIGHLY anticipated sequels to GTA, MGS, Halo, and Half-Life being released within weeks of each other, as well as a slew of other notable releases, such as DOAU, people can only play so much. Metroid Prime will join Viewtiful Joe 2, Ace Combat 5, Lord of the Rings the Third Age, Paper Mario 2, and many others as titles that, if they were released any other year (like last year, when Mario Kart DD was the only big release), would have done well, but were released in the year where the competition was just too stiff.

I think(hope) people will pick these games up later on. A lot of people are aware of everything, but can only choose so much, so they plan to pick up more games after christmas.

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of Beyond Good + Evil, like last year. That game got the shaft and now we won't get a sequel.

[quote name='rebenns']This year is seeing more big releases than any other year in video game history. With the HIGHLY anticipated sequels to GTA, MGS, Halo, and Half-Life being released within weeks of each other, as well as a slew of other notable releases, such as DOAU, people can only play so much. Metroid Prime will join Viewtiful Joe 2, Ace Combat 5, Lord of the Rings the Third Age, Paper Mario 2, and many others as titles that, if they were released any other year (like last year, when Mario Kart DD was the only big release), would have done well, but were released in the year where the competition was just too stiff.[/quote]

I don't understand why - if anything I would put MP2 right up there with Halo 2, GTA:SA and MGS3 as flagship titles that deserve equal attention...

Metroid Prime seems to be a "love it or hate it" type game. I, personally, couldn't get into it, but I never got into Halo (or any FPS) either. I've been playing MGS3 (probably my pick for game of the year) and my Nintendo DS should be in the mail tomorrow. So, between gamers who didn't like the original and people picking up the DS (or a huge game on another system), it's not hard to see why the excitement for MP2 is underwhelming right now. It's a slightly improved sequal to a game that came out 2 years ago. GTA:SA is much larger and complex then VC, while Halo 2 is the sequel to the best selling (by far) game on Xbox. Even though I care little for those games, I can see why they are a bigger deal. However, there is one thing that i'd like to point out. Although MGS3 is a "killer app", I easily see it being just as neglected as MP2. It's caught underneath the previous titles mentioned, along with Jak 3, R&C 3, GT4, and another 50 RPGs the PS2 owners will never finish.

Anyway, I think gamers will be much more excited when Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil 4, and Zelda come out.

There is just so many great games coming out plus I'm currently trying to fnish GTA: San Andreas as well as spending a lot of time playing Dragonball Z 3 and Smash Bros. in multiplayer.

I just can't be bothered to care about Metroid Prime 2 now. Even if I picked it up I probably won't even play it untl next summer.

I will get it, but not till it drops a lot in price...i thought the first one was a good game, but nothing great...the thing that kills me with my gamecube games is I hate the controller with a passion...that and I have enjoyed my time playing GTA and halo 2

bread's done
Back